1 2 3
spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
12/9/15 9:24 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Work vehicles, they are for my Medical Transport business

I was going to say that is one strange fetish you have there.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/15 9:25 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
RossD wrote: If we are hitting you with all these questions: How the mileage between the P71s and the Civilian Crown Vic?
Same car, cop cars have more welds, heavier suspension and more LSD with a industrial interior but mechanically they are the same

Don't they also have a larger alternator to deal with all of the electronics that police require?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/9/15 9:28 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Yes, there are a few other upgrades but the engine/trans is the same as a civi version

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/9/15 11:28 a.m.

I always wondered how the parallel bars with the watt's link compared to the triangulated links of a Caprice? I know the B-body would reach bind at extreme articulation. I suppose the CV would too, considering they're both live axles.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/9/15 12:53 p.m.

I have always found the P71 handling far better than the more powerful 9C1, the Crown Vic just feels wider and more planted, of course this is a land barge to land barge comparison.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/9/15 1:27 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I have always found the P71 handling far better than the more powerful 9C1, the Crown Vic just feels wider and more planted, of course this is a land barge to land barge comparison.

It's been a while, but when a friend of mine was a County Deputy around 2000, the conventional wisdom was that Caprices handled better but blew up more often. The CVs didn't handle as well but weren't as fragile. Then again, my buddy the deputy got sent to Remedial Pursuit Training, so maybe he wasn't the best judge.

So those $1400 and $1000 prices INCLUDED shipping? Sherbet. I may have to look into those one for DD#2 who wants a bigger car and 4 doors.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/9/15 1:56 p.m.
Duke wrote: So those $1400 and $1000 prices INCLUDED shipping? Sherbet. I may have to look into those one for DD#2 who wants a bigger car and 4 doors.

No those were the purchase prices of the last 2, under 90K cars though

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/9/15 3:17 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
Duke wrote: So those $1400 and $1000 prices INCLUDED shipping? Sherbet. I may have to look into those one for DD#2 who wants a bigger car and 4 doors.
No those were the purchase prices of the last 2, under 90K cars though

Ah, I must have misread your first post. Thanks.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/9/15 3:21 p.m.

What was the name of the place you bought them from?

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
12/9/15 3:56 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

http://www.tntauction.com/

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
12/9/15 5:19 p.m.

Utah. Saturday. Be there.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=743&aid=96359&lid=27681116&title=2009-FORD-CROWN-VIC

How about a big block 4x4 Suburban?

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=743&aid=96359&lid=27868053&title=1997-CHEV-SUBURBAN-4X4

There is a row of V8 Chargers in plain white wrapper, too.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/9/15 7:19 p.m.

I have been considering trying out a Charger

floatingdoc
floatingdoc GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/26/15 8:55 p.m.

I love panthers. I had a first year of production 79. It was still known as an LTD at that time. I bought it in 86, drove it until 2000 when it was taken out by someone running a stop sign.

I had two others, the last being a 95 P71 slick top. It was pretty clean and had a cloth civilian interior, so I hoped it was from the property appraisers office instead of used for patrol use. I got it home and pulled out the invoices from the glove box. They were going through a full set of tires in 8000 miles, and brakes every 12,000. One of the invoices was for a single tire, with the notation "ran over stop stick in pursuit." The transmission was rebuilt at 40,000. So much for my "light use" theory.

I later found out that the county used it as their designated "chase car" since it was the quickest one.

I used that car for some long distance commuting and regularly pulled down 25 mpg, despite the 3.27 rear end. May have helped the mileage that it was an open diff. I bought it with 110,000 miles and my family put another 200k on it.

Great cars!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vhImXnz569usPnSpnXKAXNMs2kIG25ivPG3o3pTkGQhhhMJGMjgQTDTZL8oE8TKx