Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/23/14 8:31 p.m.

Well I went to look at this thing on my way home from work:

http://york.craigslist.org/cto/4700671002.html

Spotted it on CL last weekend and have been kind of lusting after it all week. I am in need of a winter beater and this definitely fits the bill, in more ways than one.

The big issue is rust. Most of it is just cosmetic, with the worst being the big hole shown in the one pic, but there are also a big rotten areas around the forward mounting points of the rear suspension beam thing that would NEED to be fixed. There is also a crunchy area under the carpet roughly above there. I suspect the leaky sunroof (which has since been sealed shut with silicone) had something to do with this.

The interior is actually decent for the most part, though and it drove ok. I forgot how much I like cable clutches and shifters. It runs ok (milage listed is correct, according to the cluster), the tach is just a little wonky. Owner says thats because he messed up the plate under the rotor in the distributor when prying the old rotor off. Comes with another distributor though. Air suspension has been replaced with conventional stuff.

The other big concern is the computer for the electro-hydraulic steering. As suggested in my Toyota pickup thread (I posted about this thing there but got only one response) I could potentially set up an arduino to run it. I know just enough here to be dangerous

Steering was fine during the test drive though.

I kind of want to talk myself into buying this thing. Even though it may not be the most rational option, it is delightfully quirky and, I imagine, likely quite good in the snow, especially with virtually brand new snow tires.

We agreed that he would bring it in to work (he works at a Toyota dealer) to see what it needs for inspection before proceeding with anything. His offer is $1100 if it passes, which I kinda doubt it will with the structural rust.

Enable me maybe?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/23/14 9:28 p.m.

That was what the future was supposed to look like when I grew up. Every time I see one I understand the disappointment my father must feel looking back at World's Fair pictures and realizing he never got a uranium powered anything.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/23/14 9:37 p.m.

Always thought those were cool. I get a chuckle out of how he "drove it to Sterling VA in the worst winter can throw at it." Last winter I can't recall any time when Sterling got more than about 6" of snow, if that. The Rockies it ain't

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/23/14 9:37 p.m.

that said, I'll enable you. The tires alone are worth $150 to some rallycrosser if it doesn't pan out :)

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/24/14 12:49 a.m.

I loved the two XT's I had. Hell, I still have a rebuilt XT6 engine with new head gaskets sitting underneath a pallet rack in my garage from when rust finally consumed my XT6. Do it!!!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/24/14 6:53 a.m.

Shoot, the drivetrain is worth the asking price. If it doesn't pass inspection, lowball him then see if you can find a wagon of roughly the same vintage, build a hotrod! For that matter, the engine would be cool in a 914...

I always liked the steering wheels in those things, just looked so cool.

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
10/24/14 7:29 a.m.

Get it- if you decide you don't like it, but the rust isn't terminal, I'll buy it from you.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
10/24/14 8:06 a.m.

Where the berkeley is my jet pack?

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/24/14 9:50 a.m.

That thing is awesome! Get it!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/24/14 10:39 a.m.

Please say it has the digital dashboard!

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
10/24/14 11:01 a.m.

Be careful, Subaru's that exhibit rust in some places, hide it in other places very well.

It's probably still worth the asking price in parts. Later flat 6's will also swap-in for more go!

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
10/24/14 12:23 p.m.

"Rust is all cosmetic other than the rear suspension being about to rip out the mounts."

Riiiiiiiight.

Furious_E
10/24/14 5:45 p.m.
Vigo wrote: "Rust is all cosmetic other than the rear suspension being about to rip out the mounts." Riiiiiiiight.

Yea thats pretty much what I am saying. Had it not been for that I would have written a check yesterday.

So basically there is no way this thing will pass inspection. So deduct from his asking price what it would cost at a body shop to fix the structural rust (i would probably cut a 6" square area on either side), use the difference to buy a cheap flux core welder, patch said rust, and be able to get a year or two of service out of it before parting it out?

Is this a reasonable idea or am I high from breathing too many iron oxide particles yesterday? Also, what would a shop charge to fix rusty spots like that?

Furious_E
10/24/14 5:46 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Please say it has the digital dashboard!

Unfortunately no. Apparently the digi dash was reserved for the turbos

Furious_E
10/24/14 5:57 p.m.

Also, found this today on my lunch break:

http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12395&p=138536#p138536

The guy mentioned he was on subaruxt.com at one point, so I was actually able to find the thread from when he purchased the car in 2011 (and another where he was offering it for sale for $1k in 2012). I haven't had a whole lot of time to read it yet, but isnt the internet cool?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XIEg89ZKC3F1X7kwG7ETs8akgDI0ujk0HVAzVP2WTUIbPxtGIOtNnjs0C54TmfvG