1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/16 6:46 a.m.

I need to register a car. DMV opens at 8am. There are 106 people ahead of me in line already. Gonna be a long day.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/27/16 7:25 a.m.

Life ain't so bad in small town Ohio. I was recently 6 people back in line at the DMV. The time before that I had to wait for the lady to stop typing and look up before she called me forward.

Good luck.

PeteD
PeteD GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/27/16 7:37 a.m.

Ugh. The experience at the CT DMV has gotten worse in the last year as they've struggled with a software "upgrade".

Woody
8/27/16 7:40 a.m.

I just spent an hour and fifteen minutes in the "Take a Number" line.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
8/27/16 7:54 a.m.

The ONLY good thing about car stuff in Texas is that we do all of the car registering nonsense at the tax assessors office and not at the DPS. The tax office seldom takes more than 15 minutes.
DPS is for drivers licenses and that is a multi hour ordeal with the same sorts of lines and take a number shenanigans. I contemplate establishing out of state residency as an alternative to going there.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/27/16 8:26 a.m.

There are small towns within driving distance? As silly as New York is, even they put DMV offices in Malls, they do everything but road tests.

Dan

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/16 8:37 a.m.

In the austin area, they started an online check-in so my last trip to get a new license was only 25 minutes wait.

I'm sorry woody. That just sounds like an awful Saturday.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
8/27/16 8:45 a.m.
Woody wrote: I need to register a car. DMV opens in half an hour. There are 106 people ahead of me in line already. Gonna be a long day.

Why do I have a feeling you're in Norwalk? If you are, the Danbury DMV is a much better bet. When I was still in that area, I could usually drive from Stamford to Danbury, do stuff at the DMV and drive back before I'd be done waiting in line at the Norwalk one.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/16 8:47 a.m.

wow... I won't complain about waiting 15 minutes at NJ's DMV. We used to be that bad.. I remember dropping off info for registration, taking a seat, and waiting.. and waiting and waiting... and more waiting.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
8/27/16 9:52 a.m.

It's a Saturday at the end of the month, what were you expecting?

Especially as a firefighter, don't you get days off midweek? A nice Tuesday early in the month and I bet you'd have 2 people in line.

Woody
8/27/16 10:02 a.m.
rslifkin wrote:
Woody wrote: I need to register a car. DMV opens in half an hour. There are 106 people ahead of me in line already. Gonna be a long day.
Why do I have a feeling you're in Norwalk? If you are, the Danbury DMV is a much better bet. When I was still in that area, I could usually drive from Stamford to Danbury, do stuff at the DMV and drive back before I'd be done waiting in line at the Norwalk one.

Danbury.

Woody
8/27/16 10:05 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: It's a Saturday at the end of the month, what were you expecting? Especially as a firefighter, don't you get days off midweek? A nice Tuesday early in the month and I bet you'd have 2 people in line.

Tuesday and Thursdays are their busiest days here. End of the month is irrelevant in this state. Things expire by date, not month.

I went Wednesday morning, which has always been the slowest day of the week, and couldn't find a place to park. The lot was full and every other lot in the area has signs posted "No DMV Parking, Will Tow". I thought about going to the mall and getting an Uber ride back to the DMV.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/16 10:08 a.m.

Wow, I never thought I would appreciate the notary registrations we have here in Pennsyltucky. The one big chain of notaries suck terribly, but a couple places offer 24 hour on call to transfer a title or apply for a plate. Keeping the DMV just for licensing and photo ID.

California made you go to the DMV, that could be hellish even with appointments, but they really didn't care at all about anything and would file any paperwork as long as you paid them up front. At least, that was my experience in Tracy with a title half filled out for someone else all together.

Woody
8/27/16 10:11 a.m.

Suckcess!

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/27/16 11:00 a.m.

I feel so spoiled in Ohio. If I have a 15 minute wait it's unusual.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/27/16 11:59 a.m.

The DMV in CT is open on the weekend!!!

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/16 1:31 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Depends where you go; when I lived on the east side of CLE, I had to go to the one in Mayfield. They used less offensive caricatures of the employees there as the basis of the Zootopia DMV employees. Man, they were hateful people there...

At the local one here, I can do both title and plates in 20 minutes during the week, then hit Harbor Freight and the liquor store all without going back to the car...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
8/27/16 2:40 p.m.

I can't be the only one interested to hear what Woody registered.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/16 3:24 p.m.

I had to do this last weekend for the Vette. I got to Norwalk on Saturday an hour before they opened and there were at least 10-15 people in line already. By the time it opened there were at least 50 people behind me. Once it opened up it was quick though for me. They got me seen within ten minutes and then since I had to do temp reg and emissions and then perm reg the woman gave me a ticket to come back right to her if I did emissions that same day so I could get the perm reg. All in all I was done by 11am.

Woody
8/27/16 3:25 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I can't be the only one interested to hear what Woody registered.

It has the two options that I've been longing for:

PDK and a factory warranty!

photo unnamed_zpsvrlagllh.jpg

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
8/27/16 3:37 p.m.

Excellent! Build thread? Did one of the silver cars go away?

Woody
8/27/16 5:48 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Not much of a thread to build. And I got rid the gray Cayman S to make it happen.

M030
M030 Dork
8/27/16 6:12 p.m.

Woody,

The DMV in Enfield is the best one I've found in CT. There's also a little DMV in Middletown that never seems to any customers, but they don't issue license plates, and, like an empty dinner restaurant, they probably don't get many customers because they suck in some serious way

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
8/27/16 6:55 p.m.

I've seen Woody's new car. It looks basically like it just rolled off the showroom floor .

For a CT DMV story, I used to work about 1/2 mile from th Norwalk branch. I went in one day at my late lunch time to register something and my number was very far from the currently served. When I was finished with work at 5 or so, I stopped back at the DMV as I did need to get this done, and found that my number was now second in line, some 3+ hours later. I happily stepped up to the window when my number was called about 2 minutes after I arrived and left shortly after. Best DMV experience ever.

Woody
8/27/16 7:12 p.m.

Had Sonic not seen my new car, I don't think that it would be in my garage right now!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uh9SqmbvMZF2jAIhRZtHcvYtpaT8Cx10HZkFROeAoT1TkwP1QExDyflTmj0sRvcB