1 2
Brust
Brust New Reader
12/22/08 6:58 p.m.

The "Budget Supercar" article got me thinking- the Z06 isn't the only american car that came ridiculously overpowered from the factory. The CTS-v seemed that way too- yes, about 600 lb heavier, but could also carry a full load of passengers. So I looked on autotrader and found several examples of low mileage- perfect condition cars for low 20's and some even in the high teens.

Besides the rear diff and wheel hop issues, (and the fact it's a GM for better or worse), what's wrong? This seems like a great deal for a family car you could conceivably track on the weekends.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
12/22/08 7:02 p.m.

I am actively looking for one, as for the issues you mentioned

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/CTS-Vpage.htm

mw
mw New Reader
12/22/08 7:03 p.m.

There is a guy who tracks and autox's one in my area. In my opinion (others will disagree) a superar has 2 doors and 2 seats.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/22/08 7:21 p.m.

Yeah, we tried to use the traditional definition of a supercar--low, sexy looks and only room for two. (We let the 930 slip by since the back seat is so tiny.)

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/22/08 7:37 p.m.

I'm amazed at the nice cars for sale in the 20k range.
The CTS-v just looks bad ass.

tuffburn
tuffburn New Reader
12/22/08 7:55 p.m.

lotus vauxhall carlton anyone

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/22/08 8:22 p.m.

Unless you're gonna get a brand new one with the LSA, you'd be better off getting a GTO: same drivetrain, less doors.

David S. Wallens
12/22/08 9:07 p.m.

On a related note, we do have a hot sedan story in the works. There are some great deals out there right now.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
12/22/08 9:10 p.m.

less doors is a problem for those of us with 6' 3" 14 year olds

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/22/08 11:27 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: less doors is a problem for those of us with 6' 3" 14 year olds

Heh, 14 is when I started kicking one of my parents in the back and riding up front.

Brust
Brust New Reader
12/23/08 12:05 a.m.

Better off with a GTO? 2 more doors- look at the features list also. I'll take the CTS, thanks. I think the weight is actually comparable.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Associate Publisher
12/23/08 6:11 a.m.

I am in love with them. I have test driven a couple and will probably have one in the future. I went so far as to get financed and insurance quoted one one I was looking to buy. Roughly $400 full coverage for 6 months. Thats was with a million dollar liability policy on a 25 year old.

Unfortunately the responsible side of my brain kicked in and ruined my fun. Saving up for a house has taken priority. Great cars besides the rear end issues from what I can tell. I have driven a couple of GTOs as well and while I really like them the four doors, trunk space, and styling gives the nod to the CTS-V for me. If I remember correctly they both are in the 3700 to 3800 range.

RandyS
RandyS New Reader
12/23/08 6:55 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: There are some great deals out there right now.

Yes! In this economy, if you have a job and have some expendable money and are willing to spend it you can get some great deals compared to what prices were 6 months ago.

Probably 30-40% of my peers in IT work are unemployed right now. Those that remain are being told no wage increases for the foreseeable future. I have freinds that bought over-the-top cars, boats, vacation homes, jewelery, etc over the last 3-4 years that they are trying to unload now at great losses so they can make their base mortgage payment and pay health insurance.

I was in the market for a different car last month. I came close to getting a CTS-V. I found a well kept 40k mile '05 (the last of the LS6 - a plus to me) for $16k but my GTO experience kept me from doing it. I'm very happy with my other find, a 98 M3/4/5 for less than $6k.

Craigslist in metro markets are littered with great deals right now. From appliances to houses. My dishwasher motor went out last week. I checked CL and there were probably 15-20 brand new comparable dishwashers for $150 vs the $600-700 I was going to spend at a retailer. Not sure how the retailers are going to make it the next 3-6 months as Holiday sales have been short of expectation coupled with no margin for the items they are selling. Add in the pipeline of good used stuff people are trying to sell privately and retailers won't have anyone in the store for a while.

Will
Will New Reader
12/23/08 10:21 a.m.

I own one of these cars, so I'll chip in some info. Mine is an 05 model with the LS6. I've done a few upgrades and my goal is to keep the car legal for ESP classification in SCCA Solo. Mine has Hotchkis sway bars, Corsa exhaust, a K&N kit and Katech shifter. In this state it made 360 RWHP on a Dynojet. I have an underdrive pulley, Katech headers and Spectre subframe bushings in the garage. With 3/8 tank of gas my car weighed 3799 on my Longacre scales, and you could shave weight fairly easily with headers, a flywheel, track wheels/tires and so on. The seats also weigh nearly 90 pounds each but I'm not replacing my seats with 20 pound Corbeaus--not in a Cadillac. If you can, find one without a sunroof, both to save weight and because headroom is an issue. I'm 5-10 and my helmet constantly rubs the headliner.

Aside from weight and wheel hop, which have been mentioned, the car's biggest problem is that it can't fit much tire. 245 front and 275 rear is about as much as you can get away with. But with that said the car is incredibly fun. It handles well for a car of its size and offers massive torque. Thanks to the 113-inch wheelbase it's very stable and easy to control when in oversteer. The braking is phenomenal.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/23/08 10:51 a.m.

Is the CTS-V an original, or a holden rebadge, like todays RWD V8 poticacs? And why was caddy the only one to get a RWD V8 sedan, imagine one of those with a bow tie in cop form.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
12/23/08 11:03 a.m.

I never drove it, but I did ride in one a bit that my buddies dad brought home as a company car. Holy massive torque. That thing was wild.

Joey

tuffburn
tuffburn New Reader
12/23/08 11:20 a.m.
racinginc215 wrote: It's an original designed here but the chassis platform is the sigma designed as the global world platform by Holden. The only GM car currently using the platform is the CTS. I like the fact it's capabable of all wheel drive.

i want one all the more!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
12/23/08 11:27 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Is the CTS-V an original, or a holden rebadge, like todays RWD V8 poticacs? And why was caddy the only one to get a RWD V8 sedan, imagine one of those with a bow tie in cop form.

Thank you. Bring me a REAL Impala again.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/23/08 12:10 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote: The GTO is an attention grabber 2 doors GTO badges.

I respectfully disagree with this. I think the new GTOs are very sleeperish. Besides the exhaust note (and who looks at badges anyway?) they're otherwise a pretty tame looking car. I usually don't notice them until the second or third look. Nice looking, but not attention grabbing like a sports car.

The new GTOs have me SERIOUSLY considering purchasing a car with a loan sometime in the next few years. That's a very profound statement in my life. [edit: sorry. got off topic there]

Clem

docwyte
docwyte New Reader
12/23/08 12:17 p.m.

I like the CTS-V, it's one of the few American cars I'd ever consider buying.

Just wish it weighed 4-500 lbs less...

RussellH
RussellH New Reader
12/23/08 12:30 p.m.

They're one of the very few domestic cars I'd consider buying. As for the tire fittment issues and the weight they were successfully campaigned in the Speed World Challenge series against the Vipers and Porsche cup cars for a while (back when I used to watch Speed TV). How'd they manage to fit those tires, rolled/flared fenders?

I'd love to own one but I'm a bit apprehensive about all the gee-whiz gadgetery and perhaps not a very DIY friendly car...just guessing here based on the fact it was designed to be the M5 killer.

Will
Will New Reader
12/23/08 12:49 p.m.

Don't be afraid of this car. Compared to an F-body it's amazingly easy to work on. There's a ton of room under the hood, and I haven't had problems installing anything so far. The only reason I've taken it to a dealer so far was to get the diff bushings replaced under warranty...why do myself what GM will do for free? Anyway, it's all nuts and bolts, just like any other car. It's not held together with Pixie dust and unicorn hair.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
12/23/08 4:49 p.m.

How do they handle? I saw 2 at an autocross once, one pimped out one that looked like it handled terrible, and one stock one that looked like it was heavy and understeered alot. I bet one that was well set up for ESP would be pretty fun though.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/23/08 5:26 p.m.

My buddy had one. I liked it a great deal. He sold it with 50k miles on it right before the warranty was up. He was scared of future maint issues. The vehicle had 3 rear ends and 2 transmssions in that short time. My friend never raced the car and was afraid to autcross it. He never drove in anger ever.

but damn it was nice to sit at a light at feel a little rumpy bump at idle.

David S. Wallens
12/23/08 6:25 p.m.
RussellH wrote: As for the tire fittment issues and the weight they were successfully campaigned in the Speed World Challenge series against the Vipers and Porsche cup cars for a while (back when I used to watch Speed TV). How'd they manage to fit those tires, rolled/flared fenders?

Those cars were not entirely stock. You can download the complete technical specs here: http://www.world-challenge.com/competitors/vts-archive.php?year=08

Some of the highlights:

Front assembly (p/n: 1902-E1-1000)(L&R) permitted.

Front upper control arm (p/n: 1902-E1-3000) permitted.

Front cradle (p/n: 1902-E1-8000) permitted.

Rear trailing arm (p/n: 1902-F1-4000) permitted.

Rear cradle (p/n: 1902-F2-8000) permitted.

Note: the front and rear cradles are production pieces modified for reduction in ride height.

Stock steering rack may be repositioned forward and up a total of 138.5 mm due to clearance issues.

Transmission access panel may be installed in transmission tunnel.

Replica of rear seat platform permitted.

Bolt-in rear X-brace extending behind rear axle may be used.

Transmission tunnel may be production appearing replica.

Rocker bottom pinch flange and Sled Rails may be trimmed and capped.

Rear chassis rails may be raised 101.6 mm.

Fire wall may be moved rearward 78 mm.

Technical Passport chassis tag is located on the middle of the knee bar in front of the dashboard.

Rear Quarter panels (p/n: CTS-1A-140) (L&R), Front door assembly (p/n: CTS-1A-110) (L&R), Rear deck lid (p/n: CTS-1A-150), Hood assembly (p/n: CTS-1A-030), Front fascia (p/n: CTS-1A-010), Rear fascia (p/n: CTS-1A-160), Front splitter assembly (p/n: CTS-1A-020), Front fenders (p/n: CTS-1A-100) (L&R), Rocker panel assembly (p/n: CTS-1A-120) (L&R), Rear door assembly (p/n: CTS-1A-130) (L&R).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vkbNvFS0w8pBF0xhIzV82G9jYw675MwcG77tp4q9DZivOzrGORAz9JlKjUbROS5g