1 2
Will
Will New Reader
12/23/08 6:38 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: How do they handle? I saw 2 at an autocross once, one pimped out one that looked like it handled terrible, and one stock one that looked like it was heavy and understeered alot. I bet one that was well set up for ESP would be pretty fun though.

There's no getting around the fact that the CTS-V is a big ol' car, but once you accept that fact I think the handling is quite good. As I said, I added Hotchkis sway bars to mine, and I ditched the stock runflats ($400 each!) in favor of Goodyear GSD3s. At our final regional autocross of the year I ran in STU and won against an E36 M3 shod on actual STU tires (whether they were Star Specs, Re01s or what I don't know). I don't think that result would be typical or duplicated at a national event with equal drivers in each car, but for whatever my opinion is worth, the handling is quite good, again considering the car's size. But in considering my opinion also consider that I really like big cars and that to me a Mustang is a small car.

If buying one try to find one with the factory FG2 shocks for better handling. All CTS-V shocks have a big yellow and pink sticker on them; the FG2 shocks have a thick, dotted black outline around the perimeter of the yellow. Check out cadillacfaq.com, cadillacforums.com and the CTS-V section of ls1tech.com for more info.

jde
jde None
12/23/08 11:32 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Those cars were not entirely stock.

Didn't that program start out to be ALMS GT2 cars until IMSA/ALMS opted not to allow sedans? Thus, the Caddys were subsequently tweaked down to SWC level.

I seem to remember seeing a pic of a CTS-V testing at Mosport with 5-spoke single-lug wheels sometime the summer before the SWC started. (Wish I could find said pic...)

-jde

Hal
Hal HalfDork
12/24/08 2:16 p.m.

Never been in one, but I spent a couple hours at Summit Point Shenandoah circuit watching one run the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Shenandoah is definitely a "handling" track rather than a "power" track. I was impressed with the handling for that size of a car. And when it did hit one of the straights everyone in front of it just got out of the way!

IMO, it was also the "best sounding" car on the track that day.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UNfCXkG2sBfCfWE8l3LbSg44K5hLP0uFcr8x8HC6U3Zbe7J062aa1McKS33DSauX