1 2
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/15/20 12:56 p.m.

They are much different cars. I'm not a huuuuuuge fan of the auto in the V2, but if that's what it is, they're monsters. I had a V2 wagon with the 6spd. From an ergonomics and just quality standpoint, they make fine daily drivers. They lack a bit on mileage, but you're looking at 556 hp, so that's to be expected. As said above, a $9k V2 car is a smoking bargain. 

I haven't lived with a V1 car, so I can't talk about those. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
1/15/20 1:33 p.m.

TLDR: If it's a running V2 for $9k berkeleyING BUY_IT.

Echoing what everyone else has said.

If you can live with the slushbox, $9k is probably the cheapest anyone has ever picked up a running V2. As a point of reference, I bought mine 2 or 3 years ago with over 100K miles, and settled for the auto because at less than $30k, it was the only non-black southern car I could find for that price. When kicking around the idea of trading it on a FoRS last year, I walked out of the dealership when they offered me $12.5k

If it's running as it should, this is one of those rare opportunities to buy a car, wail on it for a couple years, and make a few bucks when you sell it.

If you don't want it, we "FAM," right, fam??? ;)

All that being said, I really *like* my V2. But I don't LOVE it like I did my DD V1 or the Challenge car. I'd say 80% of this sentiment is due to the REALLY BAD auto trans, 10% really FEELING the weight of the car, and the other 10% being my personal preference of V1 seats over the non-recaros in my V2 (I'm picky about seats.) Even with 300,000 miles of unloved man-ass-miles on the stock seats in the challenge car, the drive back to ATL from NOLA had me missing my V1.

I understand the bagging on the goofy, typical GM center display on the V1, but personally, those things don't matter to me AT_ALL. I have sirius/XM, 5 stations programed, and that's all I use the thing for. I've MAYBE used the "fancy" pop-up display in the V2 3 times; once playing with the EQ and twice making the kids go "OOOOH. AAAAAAH. You're car is FANCY, Daddy!" 

I'm actually contemplating trading for a V1 with a dude I met in the paddock at the Challenge...this Novella ^^^ may have just sealed the deal in my head.cheeky

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
1/15/20 3:05 p.m.

I DD a rowdy V1 and it's been a good beast for me.  A riot to drive and completely stealth as most of the world doesn't know what it is.  I avg 19mpg on my mixed commute and have lots fo fun doing it.  The comments on issues and interior are accurate.  I'd add to watch out for rust issues on the frame rails as the foam they filled it with seems to trap moisture.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
1/15/20 8:48 p.m.

My avatar is my  D/D....168600k....V2.......Recaros......6spd MANUAL. Around B'Ham daily driving to and from the office low16's (mpg). Going back to Decker Prairie Tx. on I-20 at 73ish ....high nineteens to mid/high twenties. On another thread here ..(where i forget) the drama with this sled is spelled out in some detail(maintenance/dealerwarrantyrecallhistory). I'm all in with the 'V' regardless of it's foibles...flickability on Sicard Hollow road to BarberMotorsportsPark is quite pleasurable, especially on an early Sunday morning.....just sayin' wink.....do it, you'll regret it iffen you don't.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/16/20 7:01 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

TLDR: If it's a running V2 for $9k berkeleyING BUY_IT.

THIS....do not pass go do not collect $200.  Anything under 20k for a V2 in good shape is a steal.

FWIW I have been DDing a 2012 V2 coupe since the start of the year, about a 45 mile commute, mostly back roads.   From a driving enjoyment and comfort perspective I could not recommend it more.  It is an utter joy.   

From a fuel consumption perspective.....some days I drive my Suburban to save on gas....(not joking)

It will get you into trouble if you aren't vigilant.   I was on a long straight stretch of road stuck behind 10 cars behind a slow moving truck (20mph below the posted limit)  I wasn't going to be able to pass them all but I thought I'd leapfrog my way up a few cars at a time until I could pass.   I picked a gap about 4 cars up as my target and off I go.  I hit the throttle and before I knew what was happening that target gap was gone and I was moving too fast to consider ducking into another gap.   It was a pucker inducing moment and has taught me to respect it a little more :)

poopshovel again
1/17/20 11:49 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Did I say the auto sucked? I was TOTALLY JOKING! IT RULES!!! Wanna swap titles? cheeky

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/20 4:43 p.m.
JThw8 said:

From a fuel consumption perspective.....some days I drive my Suburban to save on gas....(not joking)

i truly LOL'd

It will get you into trouble if you aren't vigilant.   I was on a long straight stretch of road stuck behind 10 cars behind a slow moving truck (20mph below the posted limit)  I wasn't going to be able to pass them all but I thought I'd leapfrog my way up a few cars at a time until I could pass.   I picked a gap about 4 cars up as my target and off I go.  I hit the throttle and before I knew what was happening that target gap was gone and I was moving too fast to consider ducking into another gap.   It was a pucker inducing moment and has taught me to respect it a little more :)

the V2 demands respect.

calteg
calteg Dork
1/17/20 5:38 p.m.

I daily drove a V1 for a year or so. 

Pros:
-Stealthy, especially in silver. Debadge it and most people won't look twice. 

-Very DIY'able

-Good aftermarket support

-Surprisingly decent highway gas mileage, and a comfortable highway cruiser

-Getting cheap enough to be a contender

Cons:

-The interior is laughably bad

-Consumables weren't as cheap as I initially expected, and I went through brakes and tires at a pretty decent clip

-Any traffic will just destroy your MPG. I was getting 13-15, driving gingerly on my commute

-I loved the idea of a quick sedan, but after a year I found that I barely ever used the backseat

-It's quick, but I'd hesitate to call it "fast" by today's standards. There's lots of competition around that price point nowadays, even within GM's own stable (GTOs are still dirt cheap)

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/17/20 6:52 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
JThw8 said:

i truly LOL'd

Sometimes it works in my favor.  Took the 'burban on monday and we had a storm which knocked down the power lines on our street, road closed, couldnt get to the house.  Took the dirt road past the neighbors and up through my field to the house.  But seriously, this freak of a suburban averages low 20s and the CTSV....well even when not hooning it struggles to find high teens.  Still totally worth it :)

the V2 demands respect.

A lesson quickly learned :)

poopshovel again
1/18/20 6:17 a.m.

the V2 demands respect.

Before buying the V1 I drove a 1991 integra for like 10 years. When passing left lane hogs, I'd downshift to 4th, floor it, gingerly accelerate 10-15 mph, and complete the pass.

The first time I did this in the V1 I looked down & said "Holy E36 M3 I'm going 100mph" In the V2 it was "if there's a cop over this hill, I'm pretty sure backing off the throttle isn't gonna do me any good."

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/20 8:13 a.m.

I rode shotgun in a V2 once, and the highway acceleration was pretty crazy. I really should get one.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
1/18/20 4:38 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

Did I say the auto sucked? I was TOTALLY JOKING! IT RULES!!! Wanna swap titles? cheeky

Not working weekends here in B'ham for now....... would entertain a meet and greet there in Hot'lanta iffen yur game....titles.....er.......um NO 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RxaMKRdSxDXIVIZXritJZJHa1U1T9bQHe7Tq0aCYsx3LttAAcYRsRRznLIOcqKl0