1 2 3
Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
3/31/14 10:17 p.m.

Jaysus, Mary and Joseph in the fecking garden!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/14 10:24 p.m.

We're not sure if this engine will fit in a Miata. I mean, we know it'll stick through the hood. But we have concerns about the impact of that extra belt to drive the supercharger versus stuff like, oh, sway bars and radiators and stuff.
In the Exocet, however, we have a few other options. We can put the rad in front of the chassis, which gives us more room up front.

I'm not going to reveal the price of this particular build as we have a special arrangement with the customer, but it's between the price of a Camaro ZL1 (with the same engine!) and a Z/28. Not inexpensive, but not a cost-no-object build and it's hard to come up with a four-wheeled vehicle with a similar power/weight ratio for anywhere near the same budget.

Will it hook up? Doubtful, and I've told the customer such. We'll do what we can but there's only so much you can do with street tires and off-the-shelf wheels. It's more for shock and awe than functional performance and everyone involved is aware of that. We'll make it as effective as we can but there are limits.

I think I'm the only one involved who's not a bit scared. My power/weight meter seems to have burnt out.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/31/14 10:28 p.m.

BuwhahahahahaHa!

It sounds much more maniacal in person.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
3/31/14 10:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The funny thing is that the customer needs this because his family has told him to stop riding motorcycles. You know, because they're not safe.

I like that the customer is sending a giant middle finger to his family. With a smile.

What transmission is backing this up? I imagine that it isn't cheap, either.

Keith Tanner
3/31/14 10:40 p.m.

T56 Magnum. Not that bad, considering. Most of the stuff in our conversions is already so over-specified for the job that they'll work here. And we were quite happy to find out that there was a clutch/flywheel setup included in the crate with the engine. The LSA uses a different clutch and flywheel than the other LS motors, and they're not cheap. Like, very not cheap.

Most of its emissions should actually be in the form of aerosolized rubber

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
3/31/14 11:36 p.m.

Sounds like it can give the Carroll Shelby(and Bill Cosby) Super Snake a run for it's money on the shear lunacy scale.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
4/1/14 5:29 a.m.

I picture it taking out a giant scoop of earth if you got on it in reverse as it attempted to flip over forward.

None of that makes sense as I read it but I still have the vision.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
4/1/14 6:23 a.m.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
4/1/14 6:32 a.m.

You. Win. Internet's done, nothing to see here, go home folks.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
4/1/14 9:19 a.m.

Boy, I wish I had cubic money sometimes.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/14 9:27 a.m.

I hope it's getting crazy-wide wheels and monstrous downforce

Edit: Oh and big brakes with a good vent system. Those are important too.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/1/14 9:36 a.m.

Ok. Who can shop the engine in real quick?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
4/1/14 9:37 a.m.
Duke wrote: Boy, I wish I had cubic money sometimes.

This.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/14 9:45 a.m.

A friend of mine got a CTS-V with one of those motors in it late last year. He spent another smallish amount of money at a local tuning shop and it is now putting out something like 610 hp at the wheels.

emodspitfire
emodspitfire Reader
4/1/14 9:48 a.m.

What does that motor with clutch and flywheel weigh?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/1/14 10:09 a.m.

i've always wanted to get a hold of one of those lumps, remove the supercharger and add a pair of EFRs...

Keith Tanner
4/1/14 10:52 a.m.

We haven't weighed the motor. I'll see if we get the chance when it comes out of the crate.

Cubic money isn't a factor. It's not going to be "I found a $500 Miata on Craigslist!" cheap, but it'll be considerably less than an Atom sporting 60% as much power. As noted, it'll be less than a Z/28. The bang for the buck factor is immense.

I have two big COT wings that are going on the car. We'll do what we can with wheels and tires, but as noted this is not a cost-no-object build so we're limited to what's available on the market. It will be traction limited in the first four gears, especially if you drive to break traction instead of driving to maximize traction.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/30/14 12:22 p.m.

Looks like the frame safely made it to Grand Junction. FM had quite the adventure getting back from the Mitty through all the storms.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
4/30/14 12:28 p.m.

I had to look up what an Exocet was...this is like Wile E. Coyote strapping himself onto that large ACME rocket.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
4/30/14 1:23 p.m.

You need to get one of the shows on /Drive network to come drive this thing when you're done.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/14 1:45 p.m.

The owner is on this forum now:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/community/ihmcguinness/

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/14 1:53 p.m.

Fobroader
Fobroader New Reader
4/30/14 1:58 p.m.

In reply to CGLockRacer:

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/1/14 10:15 p.m.

"It felt like the irresistible force slipped off of the immovable object and started pushing on me."

(yet another JPIII quote!)

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
5/2/14 8:43 a.m.

"The throttle goes both ways," wot?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JbVy29lEN4EqF7TzlAfF1EKSp8I5M3Dr2le5ZE0rKzmVEWTUWPCNAJOvNS9n7lrG