Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/18 8:40 p.m.

My old Actron finally died & I think it’s time to upgrade to an app that(hopefully?) had up to date and/or manufacture-specific DTC codes. I definitely don’t need a pro-level tool, so I’m thinking an IOS app + either Bluetooth or cabled adaptor?

What does the hive recommend currently?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/20/18 9:44 p.m.

I don’t know, I’m rocking hptuners and a centech from Harbor Freight...

No Time
No Time Dork
11/20/18 9:46 p.m.

iOS will use WiFi instead of Bluetooth, so make sure you get one that’s compatible. 

Ive used Dash Command to check codes and view sensor output on a Kia and a Hyundai with good results. I haven’t had to try it on any other vehicles. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/18 11:26 p.m.

Dash Command or OBD Fusion with a generic WiFi elm327 module from Amazon.

it also works pretty well with TrackAddict for capturing data at the track, etc.

so far I’ve used it on a 2001 Toyota and a 2016 Ford Focus.  Seemed to work well for basic functions on both of those.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/18 5:21 a.m.

Awesome, thanks guys!

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
11/21/18 7:12 a.m.
No Time said:

iOS will use WiFi instead of Bluetooth, so make sure you get one that’s compatible. 

It’s 2018!  They make Bluetooth LE OBD readers that work with iOS now.  I use this one with Harry’s in the Cayman.  Works great!

http://a.co/d/8w1nNBl

slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/21/18 12:02 p.m.

I really wish someone would come up with one that does diagnostics as well. Pulling codes is one thing, being able to test solenoids and circuits is a while other level. The 15 year old Snap-On diagnostic tool I used ages ago helped me chase down a dirty IAC solenoid.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
1/6/21 2:37 p.m.

On edit: I missed the iOS part, so this is irrelevant to the original question, but may be helpful for someone so I'll leave it. 

I have this one and have been happy with it so far:

NT630

I used it for locating a bad wheel speed sensor on my sons SX4, bleeding the ABS on our Sedona, and viewing live data for sorting out a CEL on the SX4. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/21 8:34 p.m.

I picked up a Foxwell this year, as well (the older 510 Elite model).  I bought it for $189 with the Honda and Toyota-specific software and it's paid for itself several times over.  Things like testing solenoids, abs purges, CKP relearns, etc. are now a piece of cake.  And it also reads the more detailed, manufacturier's codes like Honda transmission codes.  So far I've been very pleased with it!

djsilver (Forum Supporter)
djsilver (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/10/21 9:42 p.m.

I bought a Foxwell 530 when I bought my wife's 2013 E93 M3 with the V8/DCT last year.  Buying a car like that is not for the faint of heart and I bought it in spite of what I know about it, not because of what I know about it!  I've had it a year and recently tried using it to reset the adaptive oil service settings, but at the end of the process it gave me a message that it only works with Bosche DME's and her car has a Siemens.  I put in a service request to verify that was the reason the reset didn't work.  A week later they sent me a link to a revised .bin file for the 530 and asked me to try it.  It worked like a charm, so that impressed me with the company, even though they're based in Shenzhen,China.  

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/15/21 10:18 a.m.

How do the Innova ones stack up? 

Canoe

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/6/23 5:41 p.m.

DashCMD with Kiwi III

I've used it in the McLaren to reset codes/limp on the fly during lapping/TT. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0UQztOe22BVM79w0dyia2sIeuh6fwGxv5uJFE6oqZ3X7sbHKBcE89P2dw1oUhcB3