02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
5/26/17 9:13 p.m.

Might be going to look at a 2014 Mazda 6 (Touring/6MT) tomorrow. Anything specific to look for on these? Any known issues?

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
5/27/17 6:24 p.m.

The car was in the dealer's service area, so I drove a new one just to get a sense of the thing. Nice car, fairly poised handling for a big front-driver. Seemed well screwed together. It's not going to be mistaken for my E39, but I could probably live with it if I decide the 200k miles on the BMW are cause for replacement.

I did read some online reports about premature rust on these - anyone seen evidence of this, or evidence to the contrary?

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
5/27/17 6:27 p.m.

I really like them and almost bought one ended up not buying one because the back seat was a little tighter than I had hoped

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
5/28/17 12:07 p.m.

I'm surprised more people haven't developed opinions on these, given the general Mazda love around here. If the right car comes up I may have to be the GRM guinea pig.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/28/17 12:12 p.m.

I love them. Truly wish i had bought the white with black cloth interior one i looked at instead of the miata.

Theres really no opinion here. Much like the accord, it just freaking works. So, wr dont talk about them much. No real sporting intentions either, so another strike.

However, they are a fun, inexpensive, comfortable, reliable, and simple car. No reason not to.

They do rust. Ive seen the 4 year old mazdas from Pennsylvania, and they seem to rot more than the other pa cars. However, this is anecdotal, and by southern standards. Come south and get one. Ill help you look....

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
5/28/17 1:02 p.m.

I hate rust, I really do. It would be an enormous shame for an otherwise excellent car to be let down by something so basic. I've seen comments suggesting that Mazda's rustproofing got a lot better in 2010 or so, but then I've also seen discussions of more recent cars showing rust as well.

I appreciate the offer. I'm happy to find a car anywhere in the country and drive it home, but it's still going to have to live in NY winters....

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/28/17 1:04 p.m.

My buddy is on his second. Had a 2014, just replaced it with a 2017.

New they're unbeatable quality for the price, IMHO.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/28/17 1:10 p.m.

All I can contribute is I really REALLY like the looks of the newest generation. I walked by one a few days ago and had to circle it a few times, admiring the shape. Very nice looking cars.

rodknock
rodknock New Reader
5/28/17 2:01 p.m.

My dad has a '14 with an auto. It's super nice inside and out and he hasn't had any trouble with it.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
5/28/17 4:32 p.m.

I just test drove a 2014? Base with the standard trans and 2.5l combo, did everything right it was supposed to for sure. Super comfortable, peppy, and look nice, sosnt buy because of over pricing and terrible body work

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
5/28/17 5:28 p.m.

The automatic is even livable because it locks the torque converter once you get going so its reasonably sporting

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
5/31/17 10:24 a.m.

I considered them when I bought my '15 Accord Sport 6mt,. I chose the Honda because iti has better viability out of the rear, I prefer the Accord styling, and Honda was dealing when Mazda was holding firm at sticker price. How does pricing on a similar age and mileage Accord compare? I encourage you to drive the Honda as well if you are looking at this class. The reviews of the 6 are all great and call it a drivers car, but I didn't think it was more sporty than the Accord Sport.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/31/17 11:05 a.m.

My Dad bought a 2016 with the manual trans. I think it's the touring model, as it has the nice wheels. It's a handsome, pleasant machine. The interior is a very nice place to spend time, and the shifter feel is nearly Miata-like.

It's not fast, or even close to fast, but it's entertaining, smooth and pleasant. (there is that word again) He's also been averaging over 30mpg, and the car is used almost exclusively around town. He likes it, as it's smooth, communicative, and comfortable without being a wallowing pig. It was also very inexpensive---- I think he was out the door for under $25K.

No reliability issues so far....... but I wouldn't expect any, as it's nearly brand new.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/31/17 11:59 a.m.

I think the new ones are bee-yoo-tee-ful cars. Given my excellent experience with Mazdas, I would buy one in an instant if I was looking for such a vehicle.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/31/17 12:10 p.m.

Ex-wife has a 2015 Grand Touring w/ the Tech Package.

Comfortable, BOSE is great, comfy for 4 people, tons of space and knocks down killer mpg for it's size. Very nice place to spend time.

But I've only ever been in the top Trim level model, none of the lower models.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
5/31/17 12:26 p.m.

Drove a GT around 2014 fully loaded while mazda borrowed my mazda2 for emission testing, it was lovely! the auto trans we pretty decent I scrambled to look for a touring with 3 pedals but it was hard to get it in leather too. 40mpg at 80mph speeds was no joke - liked it a lot more than the camry/accord of the era/price.

also I have owned about 6 mazdas and 2 them being mazda 6s so I may be biased.

only complaint is that I want the grand touring with the manual, the better leather and radar cruise control.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UF8BU3LnoQBmGs91cU0AUimga1m71TnTDWIHu5OwUeL2QuL9yjwqdV0O24ezlH2u