OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
4/23/14 10:04 a.m.

Ok, so the kid and I are trying to get the drivers side cv axle back in, does not go no matter what.

2000 Focus, zetec, manual.

We did this on a buddy's Honda years ago, that sucker just popped right in. At this point I'm wondering if we have the right part...

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
4/23/14 10:07 a.m.

When I did the passenger side on my car a couple years ago it was kinda stubborn. I had to rotate slowly and jiggle it a bit to get it to pop into place. Took a couple attempts.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
4/23/14 10:26 a.m.

We've tapped the end with a 3lb sledge, does not go. I don't think it should be this hard.

Getting the old one out wasn't too hard, we tapped a thin rod on the opposite end (through the gear box) to pop it out, and it was quite snug, but this is ridiculous. It shouldn't be THIS hard to get it in.

Either it's not right or we're not right...

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
4/23/14 10:41 a.m.

Still have your old one? If so, try reinstalling it. If it fits, compare it carefully against the new one that will not fit. Somewhere, there's a difference.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely New Reader
4/23/14 10:43 a.m.

Check it against the old one if you still have it and make sure it is the same size.

I just had to put an axle in a small tractor and after 5 minutes of jiggling, just as I was about to give up, it slid in.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
4/23/14 11:32 a.m.

Yeah, still have the old one; "appearance" wise it looked same, at the end of the night and calling it quits. We'll have to compare end to end and see.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/23/14 11:48 a.m.

Also inspect the retaining clip thingie. The new one may be "sprung" a bit too much, which can make it a real biatch to put back in. You can try taking the clip off the axle and compressing it a bit tighter, then putting it back on. That will reduce the OD in the relaxed state and it should go in easier, if that's your problem.

I hate CV axles. Really. I had to learn way more than I ever wanted to about them when doing the Europa.

cghstang
cghstang Dork
4/23/14 1:02 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I hate CV axles. Really.

+1, specifically, dealing with aftermarket replacements.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
4/23/14 1:17 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Also inspect the retaining clip thingie. The new one may be "sprung" a bit too much, which can make it a real biatch to put back in. You can try taking the clip off the axle and compressing it a bit tighter, then putting it back on. That will reduce the OD in the relaxed state and it should go in easier, if that's your problem. I hate CV axles. Really. I had to learn way more than I ever wanted to about them when doing the Europa.

We'll try that as well.

+2 on hating CV axles....

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/23/14 4:21 p.m.

Look real careful at the spline tips too. I have seen them get dinged by banging around in boxes etc, it doesn't take much of a ding or metal zit to make them VERY hard to install.

You can see a little ding in this spline, that's all it takes for it to be a real bastard to insert.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
4/23/14 4:26 p.m.

I have also seen splined shafts that are clocked with a fat spline.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
4/23/14 6:12 p.m.

I love CV shafts, because they work so well, and are so simple...as long as you have the correct part. If you bought a Chinese Rock Auto part, well, I make no promises. Why don't you try popping the old one back in the hole?

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
4/23/14 6:23 p.m.

I second checking the circlip, assuming its the "inner" one that's jammed up. Sometimes the aftermarket ones are a little too fat compared to the OEM's.

Also - are you sure the clip came out with the old one? Its not sitting jammed in there somewhere, right?

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
4/23/14 9:26 p.m.

same problem here … I was replacing a passenger side axle on my CRX .. I had 2 new passenger side axles … tried and tried and tried .. nothing I did would make it slide in place .. finally got my calipers out and measured the od of the axle spline and then the same on the one I removed … duh …

figured out I had 2 B series axles and I needed D series

so compare (take measurements, don't just look at them)

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
4/24/14 4:46 a.m.

also, you can grease the splines where the circlip is, then place a hose clamp (worm clamp to some) over the circlamp loosely, but enough to compress it down. then tap the axle a bit, making sure the clamp is sliding as you go in, till the clip is under the race of the seal, remove the clamp, and shove it in the rest of the way. basically your using the hose clamp like a piston ring installer.

it works great on BMWs where the tolerances are stupid close.

-J0N

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
4/24/14 6:25 a.m.

Chinese LSD? Some don't have a bevel cut on the splines. Axle won't slide in and/or gets trapped in.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
asMsI2752niG7Q8Z5sqVA7LeXIJWmrShkMH99DiL0Y0y7N9Zn3b4t73ag6kuopuR