1 2 3 ... 6
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
8/1/17 4:00 p.m.

No, this isn’t some miniature sports car from the 1920s. This lightweight racer was built just a couple of years ago. Welcome to the world of cyclekarts.

The cyclekart phenomenon is a reincarnation of the cyclecar enthusiasm from the 1920s, when a generation of racers were completely focused on lightweight, raw performance. Reader Steve Vinson and his 9-year-old son are …

Read the rest of the story

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/17 4:24 p.m.

I would love to build one.

How about a Challenge class. Drag, autocross, and concourse. It would be a hoot.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/1/17 4:35 p.m.

I wonder how well one would handle driving around in my hilly yard. Sort of a rallycross course - 1/3 tarmac 2/3 grass.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
8/2/17 1:17 p.m.

It's a shame that there are no V-twins with low enough hp. I wonder if any exhaust trickery could make one of these cars sound even half as good as they look...Regardless, I'd love to build one just to find out.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/2/17 1:23 p.m.

I would build one if ten of my neighbors did also.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/2/17 1:26 p.m.

oh yeah

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/2/17 2:40 p.m.

One is on my build bucket list.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/2/17 3:16 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I would love to build one. How about a Challenge class. Drag, autocross, and concourse. It would be a hoot.

If a few of you built and brought some, I'm sure that we can find a way to accommodate them.

Toyman01
8/2/17 3:36 p.m.

I'm in. Any other takers?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/2/17 3:45 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: It's a shame that there are no V-twins with low enough hp. I wonder if any exhaust trickery could make one of these cars sound even half as good as they look...Regardless, I'd love to build one just to find out.

There isn't anything you can't get for the gx200 - and for peanuts. You should hear my minibike

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
8/2/17 6:24 p.m.

There should be a challenge class for these

Toyman01
8/2/17 8:51 p.m.
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/2/17 8:59 p.m.

I have a gx390, and a welder. If someone wants to donate me some wheels, im game for this years challenge.....

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/2/17 9:20 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: It's a shame that there are no V-twins with low enough hp.

No lawn mower engines?

freetors
freetors New Reader
8/2/17 9:33 p.m.

I've wanted to build one but I hate the one wheel drive/ one wheel brake chassis setup. You guys should price out the cost of all the parts to build one of these though. Buying new, just the engine and transmission cost about $1000. Also the "proper" 17" cyclekart wheels are becoming difficult to find cheaply. You will basically be buying all your wheels from a different seller so they will all be in various states of disrepair. There are some 14" pit bike wheels on ebay that would work well but not have quite the same look.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/3/17 4:54 a.m.

New "Honda" 6.5 hp engine on sale right now for $99.

Seems this can be built really cheap.

From what I can tell the wheels are gonna be the hang up for the price. You are looking at the small competition motorcross bikes for any consistancy as the Honda CR80 (small wheel) had a 17" on the front. 16" and 19" are much more popular.

Edit: Just found the Suzuki RM85 has a 17" front.

Edit again: If you go to a 16" rim instead of the traditional 17", price drops wayyyy down as a 20" bicycle rim will work. (bicycle wheels size is actually the external tire dimension vs the rim dimension as quoted on motorcycles and cars)

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/3/17 6:04 a.m.

and just because this is GRM and a forum and we all like to go fast.

There is this.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fu8P9lrdcmk

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/3/17 6:06 a.m.

In reply to FlightService:

Hmm....

Care to link? The wheels have always been the place i get stuck in my research. I think that i grasp what you are saying, but....

Toyman01
8/3/17 6:06 a.m.

I've got the engine, the Comet clutches are pretty cheap, and the rest of it I can dig out of the scrap bin and build.

Some research shows a set of wheels from Vintage Kart Co. is about $300. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I may well build several of them, and the boys and I will race them.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/3/17 6:31 a.m.
FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/3/17 6:36 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

I can't find where Vintage Kart sells anything aside from complete kits. Do you have a link?

Toyman01
8/3/17 6:54 a.m.

According to the info, just email them. jack@vintagekartco.com They will send a price list. From what I've read, they will pretty much sell any part you want, up to and including a complete kart. I haven't contacted them yet.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/3/17 7:04 a.m.
FlightService wrote: New "Honda" 6.5 hp engine on sale right now for $99. Seems this can be built really cheap. From what I can tell the wheels are gonna be the hang up for the price. You are looking at the small competition motorcross bikes for any consistancy as the Honda CR80 (small wheel) had a 17" on the front. 16" and 19" are much more popular. Edit: Just found the Suzuki RM85 has a 17" front. Edit again: If you go to a 16" rim instead of the traditional 17", price drops wayyyy down as a 20" bicycle rim will work. (bicycle wheels size is actually the external tire dimension vs the rim dimension as quoted on motorcycles and cars)

80/85 bikes use 14r/16f and 17/19 on the big wheel, kx100 and ktm 105 versions

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/3/17 7:42 a.m.

I found some 4x4" hubs https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/azusa/2299 and thought it would be cool to use Miata spare tires and find a solid wheel car to scale off of the the wheel size. I don't know if it's very practical scale/size-wise, however.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/3/17 7:53 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Holy unsprung weight and rotational mass, batman!

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZrRPPtSj09lkkCEDszVk6KhYsPiUQXRiMMFBkdQU0ZO9Rapk2xQB3tai2zFELMFz