1 2 3 4 5 6
pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/8/17 12:40 p.m.

"It's pretty much build whatever you want as long as it fits the look, feel, and spirit of the event."

This is the best approach I think. Creativity and seeing what people come up with makes for good magazine copy...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/8/17 1:04 p.m.

How about this, considering I don't think that anyone here has even built one yet: Build it, bring it and show it off. Like Jeremy seconded above, we all get the spirit of these karts.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/8/17 3:04 p.m.

In that case, would it not being industrial engine/cvt powered be beyond the spirit of the event?

Because the CVTs are looking to cost as much if not more (depending on the model) of the HF engine.

Also, if we show up, can we run the drags quarter scale too?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/8/17 3:05 p.m.

Right now im looking for wheels to build around. Then we'll see what kind of E36 M3 i can make up as i go.

Im thinking pre war indy clone. With front and rear suspension.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/8/17 3:11 p.m.
FlightService wrote: Also, if we show up, can we run the drags quarter scale too?

I don't think we can promise any autocross or drag runs, but if they're there, let's check them out and have some fun.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 3:23 p.m.

Sitting here thinking using an ATV as a donor is probably not in the spirit, but I might do it anyway.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/17 3:26 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Alright. I'll commit to build at least one to bring to the 2018 Challenge. I've got too much on my plate to make it for 2017. I'll probably build them to Cyclekart.com suggested specs other than using trailer wheels and tires. There is another guy, that works for BMW in Spartanburg, that has a couple. Maybe we can get a SC club started to race them.

Something like this to start.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/8/17 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

I will make that commitment as well.

Maybe not quite to cyclecart rules, due to material on hand already. But definitely to their intent. Ill bring it to the challenge as well next year.

And toyman, wanna race sometime next year?

Toyman01
8/8/17 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I would imagine we could set up a test and tune at some point.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 3:57 p.m.

I'm gonna think joining this, I make no promises though. Seriously thinking about using the rear axle and some suspension parts off of this dead Kawasaki Bayou I have laying around. This would be my first ever semi major fab project so I'll have to do a lot of figuring on how or even if I would want to approach it. It may prove simpler to lean closer to the traditional recipe. I want both rear wheels driven though if only because it will be more fun when used at home, mostly on dirt.

EDIT:

Wondering if a mini Model T Speedster clone is close enough to what we're going for here. Biggest think I'd have to figure out then would be the wheels.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/8/17 4:11 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: Sitting here thinking using an ATV as a donor is probably not in the spirit, but I might do it anyway.

I hate you

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/8/17 4:14 p.m.

Before we all get too crazy with the ideas.

We all agree on the spirit and the concept of the thing. (single cylinder ect)

Can we at least agree on a budget?

At least ball park?

I really like the quarter scale, quarter budget idea.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/8/17 4:15 p.m.

I am in for 2018 as well. I have something cool in mind that I have been thinking about before this all even came up...

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/8/17 4:19 p.m.

I vote for half budget. It is going to be next to impossible to leverage selling parts like a traditional challenge build.

Having to buy parts outright can make $500 disappear pretty quickly.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/8/17 4:24 p.m.

Well, i dunno. 1k would make it easier for everyone, but 500 makes it financially viable for me....

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 4:38 p.m.

Are we actually racing or just all deciding to build something and haul it halfway across the country to take pictures of them together? I'm cool either way, mine is going to be more show that go even If I'm thinking about making it needlessly complex.

Toyman01
8/8/17 4:40 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

Racing. Even if we have to commandeer a parking lot somewhere and explain ourselves to the police.

We can always blame it on GRM.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/8/17 4:42 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Chadeux: Racing. Even if we have to commandeer a parking lot somewhere and explain ourselves to the police. We can always blame it on GRM.

Damn skippy!

Anyone have any suggestions for what would look good coming off an el Camino?

Should we start a new thread?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 4:42 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Ok, so which one of us is showing up with a 2 stroke dirt bike engine using the excuse that a donor bike was cheaper than a tiller engine and is still technically a small single cylinder?

Also, do I get more cool points if I haul it down there on a tiny trailer behind the GTA?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/8/17 4:44 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

Yes to more cool points. No to dirtbike...

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Ok but what about a twin cylinder engine purely because I think it would look cool? (Seriously I've got an old Kohler twin cylinder generator engine here that I think would be pretty sweet sticking out of the sides of a tiny cowl)

Toyman01
8/8/17 4:48 p.m.

I'm going to shoot for less than $1000. I'll keep an approximate budget.

Spirit and concept works for me. Like was stated earlier, much like a truck, you will know one when you see it.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 4:56 p.m.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the ATV donor idea is way outside of the spirit. I will probably still rob smaller parts of it though.

Toyman01
8/8/17 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

I would by all means steal the steering, hubs, bearings, uprights, chain, sprockets, and any other small parts I thought I needed. There is no reason to make or buy something when you already have what is needed on hand.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/8/17 5:29 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Chadeux: Racing. Even if we have to commandeer a parking lot somewhere and explain ourselves to the police. We can always blame it on GRM.

I say we blame on screwing up Majorie's deck and we are running for our lives.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GwCKf6CKLuI2ycSca7M7L3gA5CJC1hOTntdrPCbpequ0vrfmd7jOq8AwB0iK1uPw