1 2
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
4/15/09 10:02 p.m.

Just saw a link to this on Jalopnik, seemed very GRM: CycleKarts

Here's the Jalopnik article: CycleKarts - Jalopnik

All Karts must be handbuilt, and run a ~6.0hp motor.

Looks like the closest venue for me would be Texas, though

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
4/15/09 10:09 p.m.

MOAR PIX!

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/09 10:12 p.m.

The main people doing the cyclecart thing seem to have moved on, but there certainly remains an interest. I'd love to see a revival, that's for sure!

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/09 10:19 p.m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclekart

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cyclekart/

http://www.stevproj.com/Carz/

http://www.stevproj.com/Carz/20sCars.html

slefain
slefain Dork
4/16/09 8:05 a.m.

I must say when I saw this I instantly wanted to run to Home Depot and start building a body. I'd have to get my friend to weld the frame up for me, but I think I could do all the rest. Of course the question is: where the heck would I run it? I've already got a dirt bike I never ride (lack of dirt nearby).

RossD
RossD New Reader
4/16/09 8:15 a.m.

Its like a low cost locost, but for dirt.?.? I like it

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/09 8:22 a.m.

I believe that I need to build one of these.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/09 8:27 a.m.

Holy crap those look awesome. Are they sold as kits or are they all one off designs?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
4/16/09 8:53 a.m.

wow, I wonder if a pair of internally geared bike hubs could handle the torque of a 5HP brigs and stratton...would make the build WAAAAAAY simpler and cheaper

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
4/16/09 8:57 a.m.

They are actually only one-wheel drive, and one wheel brake. I'm thinking at a minimum it would need a go-cart or mower rear dif and 2WD for me, in case it gets to leaning...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
4/16/09 9:13 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: They are actually only one-wheel drive, a

3 spd hub FTW!!!! There is a large factory I know of that utilizes 3 spd trikes to move parts and equipment around. They load em down with like 400-500#s at times and the hubs handle that really well ( I used to work for the bicycle shop that the factory contracted to maintain their fleet of 80 or so Trikes, and the hubs were about the only part that didnt fail on a regular basis). If they can handle that, they should handle 200 lbs of me and another 150 of Kart. Looks like Imma 'bouta start a new project...yessir

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
4/16/09 9:14 a.m.
kreb wrote:

Arm burn FTW

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
4/16/09 9:20 a.m.

Actually, the "exhaust" you see there is just an arm rest, there is one on each side to strengthen the body. The engine is behind the seat and really exhausts out the bottom.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
4/16/09 9:27 a.m.

4cylndrfury FTL

Dangerous looking arm rests FTW

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/16/09 9:32 a.m.

me likey

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
4/16/09 10:59 a.m.

Oh no! This like fun and cheap.......

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/16/09 11:11 a.m.

kinda like a fancy grasspass.org for you west coast bourgeoisies

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
4/16/09 12:13 p.m.

i have a spare tomos moped that i am now tempted to cannabilize parts from to build one..(not for their org, but for personal fun)

i am wondering if i can get away with some things im thinking..

the tomos moped engine is 49cc 2-stroke putting out about 1hp and has an integrated 2 speed automatic trans. the moped is capable of about 35mph on a level surface.

I would need to look into sizes, but i am thinking that i might be able to get away with bicycle wheels (less power, less weight) if I get the attachment right.

the bicycle wheel would greatly reduce cost and PITA of finding the wire moped wheels they call out.

hmmmmmmmmm

need to start thinking on this...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
4/16/09 12:38 p.m.

It's really amazing to me that there is a group of folks who can put together something so obscure (awesomely obscure). Those all look like concours quality machines. Really, how do you congeal a group of guys to do that? It's cool, but quite the anomaly, I think.

Still, so very, very cool.

Clem

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
4/16/09 12:45 p.m.

I think I need one, I have a 6.5 horse tecumseh in my storage unit, that should hold be over until I can get the 'busa engine

alex
alex Reader
4/16/09 1:22 p.m.
Iggy wrote: kinda like a fancy grasspass.org for you west coast bourgeoisies

I'd be hard pressed to call anything that employs a plywood monocoque chassis 'fancy' or 'bourgeois.'

ClemSparks wrote: It's really amazing to me that there is a group of folks who can put together something so obscure (awesomely obscure). Those all look like concours quality machines. Really, how do you congeal a group of guys to do that? It's cool, but quite the anomaly, I think. Still, so very, very cool. Clem

Mine won't be as nice looking, by any means, but I think St. Louis needs an outlaw cyclekart racing league to make use of some of the brownfields. (I wonder how many of these you could shove into a pickup bed, and how quickly, under sudden law enforcement scrutiny?) There are enough scooter/bike dorks here that it might just take off. I'm going to arrange a meeting of the minds here and I'll let you know what happens. Perhaps some intrastate competition will come of it.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/09 1:30 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: It's really amazing to me that there is a group of folks who can put together something so obscure (awesomely obscure). Those all look like concours quality machines. Really, how do you congeal a group of guys to do that? It's cool, but quite the anomaly, I think. Still, so very, very cool.

Don't look too closely. They're plywood monocoque over two rectangular frame rails. Lot's of bondo on many of them.

Bicycle wheels won't take the lateral loads (They can't lean into corners) and the one's specified by the Cyclecarters are a real PITA to find. If someone came up with a good, cheap alternate, many would applaud.

The one-wheel drive and brake is an effort to keep things very basic. It would be so easy to go down the road that leads to (shudder) Locosts!

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
4/16/09 1:37 p.m.

I have a set of 4 RX7 16x4" spoked aluminum spare tires and rims, they are a little wide but nice looking. Certainly donut spares are close enough and easy to find, right?

And I would have to think that something like that would be the perfect opportunity for great-stuff foam as a modeling agent. It's not like you are going to have to worry about the wood rusting out behind it, and it would be a lot lighter than bondo.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/09 1:39 p.m.

GRM should build one. Even better, two, so you'll have someone to race against. I can imagine the stock Ralycross version, with a quick change to go-cart slicks for autocross!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
4/16/09 1:42 p.m.
kreb wrote: Bicycle wheels won't take the lateral loads (They can't lean into corners) and the one's specified by the Cyclecarters are a real PITA to find. If someone came up with a good, cheap alternate, many would applaud.

I.E. Dirtbike or moped wheels? Cant be too hard to get a hold of

kreb wrote: The one-wheel drive and brake is an effort to keep things very basic. It would be so easy to go down the road that leads to (shudder) Locosts!

MTN bike disc brakes would be very easy to fab in, are not too expensive and should be able to handle the load

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GCW8ap3E9d7lIiJm5ecPf9EJANTIzKvn87kxf57ChNwEWHhySB31NFNuewvU7atX