1 2
stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 New Reader
5/17/10 5:50 p.m.

how would one acheve this ? i had a drawnout plan for a fullsize blazer (tahoe) awd turbo...but how would you do an s10 or blazer ? could one use a manual trans?

njansenv
njansenv Reader
5/17/10 6:01 p.m.

I think the Olds Bravada had the same AWD system...it's probably a good start. Not sure about the manual trans.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/10 6:06 p.m.

Talk to Mr. Quasi-MoFo.

He has wetdreams of such a setup.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
5/17/10 6:43 p.m.

I thought about the the easiest way to make a "sporty" AWD manual trans GM (similar to the Sy/Ty) a few months ago. This could go with either the 4.3/SBC/LT1 or LS1 depending on the trans bellhousing, of course. After a few hours of digging around, this is what I came up with (copied from my post in another forum and reformatted for this retarded forum formatting requirement):

What can I say, my mind wanders....so I did a little more digging around gmpowertrain.com to see what might be possible with newer stuff. I'm not saying this is going to be cheap, but it might be more appropriate for a "sporty" AWD 6 speed. I did a bunch of digging and figured out how you can almost mate a transfer case and TR6060/T56 together with factory parts, sans a custom output shaft that would probably be required.

Exhibit A (refererring to the 'vette transmissions):

Also in 2006 the 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission was introduced, and the bolt pattern for the rear of the case extension of the manual transmission was changed to match the same bolt pattern as the automatic.

Exhibit B:

Image of Camaro/CTS-V 6060

Exhibit C:

Image of 'vette 6060 with case extension for rear diff (note that case extension is same bolt pattern as above tailhousing)

Exhibit D:

Image of extension plate that bolts to rear of 6L80 case for 'vette rear diff

Exhibit E:

Image of 6L80 with transfer case attached...note short adapter/tailshaft housing between transfer case and rear of trans case

For reference, it seems like the T56 and TR6060 are pretty much identical externally...which makes me think this logic will apply to a SBC/LT1 T56 the same as a TR6060. So here's how it would assemble from front to back:

T56 -> 'Vette case extension -> custom adapter similar to Exhibit D -> Transfer case

If you're really lucky with the spline count on the available T56/TR6060 output and transfer case inputs, you might just be able to use an off-the-shelf output shaft with the proper thickness custom adapter (exhibit D).

....and after all that, I think I found somebody who makes such an assembly (replacing two adapters with one, sensibly):

Rockwell Standard Gear

Bryce

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/10 7:32 p.m.

^^^ That looks heavy. :(

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
5/17/10 8:30 p.m.

Ok, maybe I'm underthinking this- but wouldn't it be easier to weld the diffs on a 4wd truck making it fulltime, and TT'ing that?

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
5/17/10 8:58 p.m.

Forget AWD get a later 99+ blazer or jimmy with the 4 button awd or a bravada with AWD either will work. Get on the typhoon club site and get a turbo bolt that on run your pipes. Get a pair of injectors and add them somewhere in the air tract just splice into your injector harness and run from the return line on the rail to the secondary rail.

This might not be the most DD friendly ghetto-phoon but it will be the cheapest I sold my last S10 for $600 and had a hard time giving my 98 ZR2 away for $2000

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/10 9:13 p.m.

From a review of the Lingenfelter Tahoe:

"Every one of those horses makes a noise in this Bell Tech-lowered Tahoe. In four-wheel drive, this thing launches as if rear-ended by a low-flying B-52. Turning an aluminum driveshaft and Budnik wheels with massive 335/35ZR17 Michelin Pilot SX tires at every corner, this Tahoe hit 60 mph in a ludicrous 5.1 seconds and inhaled the quarter mile in just 13.8 seconds at 96.0 mph."

So my response is to add a supercharger to big V8 and drop it into the S10 chassis.

novaderrik
novaderrik New Reader
5/17/10 9:18 p.m.

get a 4X4 S series pickup with a 4.3 in it. put a transfer case out of an Astro van in it. bolt an LT1 in front of the trans and bolt it into the chassis with adapter plates and '67 Chevelle big block engine mouning pad on motor mount plates made out of 1/8" thick steel to move the mount back on the engine to the stock 4.3 location. weld an oil pan sump from a 4X4 4.3 to the LT1 oil pan and use the 4.3 oil pump.. not turbocharged, but close enough.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer Reader
5/17/10 9:22 p.m.

there is no replacement for displacement.

barnca
barnca Reader
5/17/10 9:27 p.m.

i remember the late carl merrill built one to compete in rally against the euro invasion. it had a cyclone front end and was powered by an old busch series v6. i think it had mechanical fuel injection. and i believe a t350 trans with the cyclone center diff.. i know the had a hard time keeping cv joints in the front of it. tons of horsepower and the cv's were the weak link at that time. it was a total tube frame rig and was fast as hell. i tried to find some pics. no luck. i am sure there are some out there some were..

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 New Reader
5/17/10 9:53 p.m.

i looked at this, but only northstar powered. eep AX15 five speed will bolt to an astro AWD t-case, which in turn bolts to the 60 v6 bellhousing pattern the n has. use code 59 on a 7730 ECM for the boost. hardest part is making motor mounts and accessories.

Vigo
Vigo Reader
5/17/10 9:55 p.m.

I think a bravada with an lt1/ls1 swap and some suspension bits (maybe even just some Xtreme truck stuff) would be most of the fun with less of the hassle. You can always turbo it later.

bamalama
bamalama Reader
5/17/10 10:01 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I think a bravada with an lt1/ls1 swap and some suspension bits (maybe even just some Xtreme truck stuff) would be most of the fun with less of the hassle. You can always turbo it later.

That's what I've been wanting to do. Except I want to get one with body damage and rebody it with a 70's Camaro or something. Turbo V8 AWD mulletmobile FTW

Do the Bravadas have torsion bars up front like a 4wd Blazer?

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
5/17/10 10:01 p.m.
petegossett wrote: ^^^ That looks heavy. :(

Keep in mind the manual trans is lighter than the auto trans, so it's actually lighter than a stock AWD with auto. Plus, you get to ditch all that stuff like torque converter, fluid lines, cooler, etc. Sure, it's heavier than an MGB trans (or whatever), but when you want to put a lot of ponies to a lot of driven wheels in a heavy pickup (reliably), it takes a stout gearbox to take the abuse.

If you wanted a five speed instead of a six speed, the AX15 would be a good way to go. The T56 super duper overdrive sixth sure is nice, but you pay for it.

Bryce

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
5/17/10 10:19 p.m.
Kia_racer wrote: there is no replacement for displacement.

No, but boost is a substitute....and with 1/3 LESS FAT!!!

skolrud
skolrud New Reader
5/17/10 10:59 p.m.

I'm probably chiming in with out enough information(or reading the entire thread) Quite a few years ago a car built for Pikes Peak was built from a Buick transvers 6 cyl. turned 90 degrees, the axle outputs became drive shafts to the diffs. This would be far light and compact if you can find a trans axle to handle the power you hope to achieve. I think the article I read featured an automatic.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/18/10 12:40 a.m.
blaze86vic wrote:

Yep, boost and technology are two great replacements

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
5/18/10 1:09 a.m.
skolrud wrote: I'm probably chiming in with out enough information(or reading the entire thread) Quite a few years ago a car built for Pikes Peak was built from a Buick transvers 6 cyl. turned 90 degrees, the axle outputs became drive shafts to the diffs. This would be far light and compact if you can find a trans axle to handle the power you hope to achieve. I think the article I read featured an automatic.

I've seen that car in person, very cool time-period piece. However, I don't think that has much of anything to do with this thread at all.

Bryce

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/10 6:49 a.m.
gamby wrote:
blaze86vic wrote:
Yep, boost and technology are two great replacements

But is you boost an LSx you have more reason the be the fat guy that all the chicks want to sleep with.

Meet John Belushi:

• 1998-2005 Chevrolet Blazer, GMC Jimmy, Oldsmobile Bravada
  • Built 4L65E with electronic shift assist and manual lock up (flappy paddles)
  • AWD transfer case from Bravada, Astro or GM large van
  • Alloy 5.3L LSx with single Holset tuned to make 435hp
  • 4.11 gears in both axles
  • Rear suspension changed to three link with panhard rod, coil overs
  • Lowered front suspension via dropped spindles, increased rate torsion bars
  • ZR1 inspired wheels
  • Interior lightened, but complete, with four carbon fiber buckets
  • Paint mine Auburn Red Metallic.
stealthfighter1
5/18/10 7:16 p.m.

what if you kept it auto, would a 4l60e+awd+5.7L vortec out of an 00+ escalade , (yukon denali) fit in an s10 regular cab shortbed, the boxy kind?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/18/10 7:30 p.m.

<= This works, well if it doesnt break

bamalama
bamalama Reader
5/18/10 7:34 p.m.
stealthfighter1 wrote: what if you kept it auto, would a 4l60e+awd+5.7L vortec out of an 00+ escalade , (yukon denali) fit in an s10 regular cab shortbed, the boxy kind?

My brother's Denali is a 6.0, even more win

stealthfighter1
5/18/10 9:22 p.m.

would you have to start with a 4wd model? my intuition points to yes...

another idea: a 4wd, 4.3L, s10/blazer with a bravada/astro awd t-case + turbo...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/19/10 9:56 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Ok, maybe I'm underthinking this- but wouldn't it be easier to weld the diffs on a 4wd truck making it fulltime, and TT'ing that?

A truck with welded diffs would handle like ass on pavement. It would be chuffing and howling its way around every corner, and you'd have to be built like Hulk Hogan to steer it. Heck even a locker on the rear axle is a total PITA.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wmx6uDiCzf8trjPXPbw6NmxdD1qe32MbwESjLtVnurfxYGRg3sxdAXQI9AcdQh5T