jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
2/2/10 6:41 a.m.

I have a couple D16A1 questions I'm looking for answers to. Searching google hasn't turned up much.

The engine in question is out of an '89 Integra.

Question 1: what is the power band on this motor. I have a couple options on turbos and am trying to match the turbo to the power band.

Question 2: I got a DOHC ZC head along with the project car. I know that in order to run the ZC head on the D16 block I need adjustable cam gears because the cam grind is different. Other than that is there any significant difference between the ZC head and the D16A1 head that would make it worth my time to swap in the ZC head?

Thanks guys.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/2/10 7:20 a.m.
  1. Same as any other Honda motor. Gutless below 3,000, OK from 3K - 5K, entertaining as redline is approached. IIRC the peak HP was 118.

2. No, not worth it. I'm 90% sure they are the same head.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/2/10 8:10 a.m.

They aren't the same head.... one has one cam, the other has two cams.

If i remember correctly, the Dual Cam ZC made 130-something HP? I wasn't aware that you could fit it to a single cam block for whatever reason, though.

If you could make it work, i'd say go for it, it'd be nifty. Otherwise, maybe try to track down a ZC block?

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
2/2/10 8:17 a.m.

The D16A1 out of the first gen teg is a DOHC motor. I didn't figure there was really any difference just wanted to be sure.

Any idea what a ZC head is worth. Need to sell it to recoup some money in the challenge budget.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
2/2/10 9:32 a.m.

it's been a few years, but the only difference between a zc & a d16a1 was cams & MAYBE compression. I couldn't say what the head might be worth. Whole motors used to bring $500 or so (zc's that is). But that was 5-6 years ago

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/2/10 11:03 a.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote: The D16A1 out of the first gen teg is a DOHC motor. I didn't figure there was really any difference just wanted to be sure. Any idea what a ZC head is worth. Need to sell it to recoup some money in the challenge budget.

Oh... really? My bad, i thought there was only one DOHC D-banger.

Or maybe i was thinking of Highlander. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
2/2/10 11:37 a.m.

I didn't know there were any DOHC D-series motors until recently myself. Just recently started to really get into the Honda stuff.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/2/10 12:17 p.m.

My limited knowledge:

Yes, the D16A1 is a dual-cam. IIRC, there are several different variants of the ZC motor. I read it on the internets, so it must be true (quick google search yields:)

http://www.d-series.org/forums/dohc-zc/91053-dohc-zc-specs-mods-parts-list.html

Oh, and the ricer crowd is gaga over anything with the letters "ZC" on it. I'd sell the head and put a few bucks back in the budget.

PPS: I'm guessing all your questions could be answered at redpepperracing.com

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F7Q59XBts8iMn3WokOXs0plhj9rAWAHoPCVac7mvlkJyofTFKXFVHfNbKkCr0yGc