MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/11/10 9:56 p.m.

Here is the beginning stage of the project. I have done nothing except for taking out the window tinting that made it impossible to see out. Some may see a frumpy Daewoo with questionable accessories and poorly chosen factory options, I see potential.

Interior pictures.

Those are kilometers, btw ^

The only thing better than fake wood and velour is fake wood and velour that's falling apart.

Mmm, more fake wood.

This sticker means "good mind, good neighborhood, good community." I think it will go well with the flat black and skulls.

edit: sorry for the original. Now the pictures actually work.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
7/11/10 10:00 p.m.

Liking your livery, and the way you've carried it to the interior!

Kinda like that one you see on ambulances...

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/11/10 10:23 p.m.

Since I'm going to die driving it, I figured and ambulance theme would suit the project.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/11/10 10:32 p.m.

Suspension/Exterior/Engine Bay Pictures

This is the rear strut setup. Actually looks pretty good to me.

Not excited about the strut mounted swaybar links.

Try to contain your jealousy.

1.6 liters of pure Aveo fury!

Supposedly this is a variable geometry intake manifold. Kinda cool, I guess.

Why yes it does have ABS, and 4 wheel disk brakes too.

I think this is the opposite of badge snobbery.

In her full glory!

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
7/12/10 12:46 a.m.

That's actually a good looking car. The kids would love flat black with skulls.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/12/10 1:49 a.m.

The boys seem to favor this approach. The girls want red though. Might have to put it to a vote.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
7/12/10 2:59 a.m.

Red and flat black are very hip and always look good together. Google ratrod long enough and you'll see what I mean. Example:

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/14/10 2:29 a.m.

That would be cool. Maybe flat black the body and paint the hood/roof/trunk red.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/14/10 9:45 a.m.

That'd be pretty awesome if you did it that way.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
7/14/10 12:09 p.m.

Is that a yellow Matiz you're parked next to? I'd love to see someone hot rod one of those.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/14/10 6:58 p.m.
mndsm wrote: That'd be pretty awesome if you did it that way.

As I've been telling the students about this project there's been a definite emphasis on painting from the girls and an emphasis on stunts and drifting (e brake turns) from the boys.

Most of my girls are pretty-pretty princesses so I might just leave the decorating to their eager young hands.

BTW, does anybody have any good tips on spray paint paint jobs so it doesn't end up looking like crap? I've never done one before.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/14/10 7:04 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Is that a yellow Matiz you're parked next to? I'd love to see someone hot rod one of those.

Yes it is. That's the previous gen Matiz next to me. There's also an Atoz behind my car, and the big thing you can barely see behind the Matiz is a Ssangyong Actyon.

Hot Rod Matiz:

Hyundai Atoz:

Ssangyong Actyon:

Amazingly, there are a lot of hotted up Ssangyongs in my city. I guess the 2.9 liter old school Mercedes deisels are tuner friendly.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/15/10 10:10 a.m.

I'm going to try and do some performance tests this weekend or early next week. Does anybody have some brilliant ideas for baselining my car? I have to be able to do it in a parking lot (yes I got permission).

Raze
Raze HalfDork
7/15/10 10:34 a.m.

skid pad, slalom, brake test...

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/18/10 6:52 p.m.

Had a busy weekend. Found an abandoned convention center whose owner will let me do performance tests in the parking lot, so that's taken care of.

I also discovered that Nubiras are no more popular as race cars in Korean than they are in America, but fear not. One of the local performance shops is friendly with some local shock/suspension component manufacturers and will custom build me a set of Tein coil overs for 600 bucks. A trip to the used tire store to pick up some wheels and tires should cost another 200 bucks or so and have my Daewoo looking pretty cool.

Now I just need to find a junkyard ...

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
7/18/10 10:55 p.m.

Excellent! You might one of the first people to have a Daewoo bouncing on Teins.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qgGnrrLm3CdVtVx6ecc7KKeRnOc6LgO5UlRJunYBjRboKhAmxCQ2NsnjK65AAoUp