1 2 3
plance1
plance1 Dork
2/26/13 6:23 a.m.

More complaining? Surprise surprise

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/national/danica-patrick-calls-out-field-after-daytona-500---was-she-right

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
2/26/13 6:28 a.m.

She's a whiner and complainer...always has been. Get used to it. She ain't the first to be hung out to dry in the draft, and she won't be the last.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
2/26/13 6:38 a.m.

“I feel like I had a little bit of help today here and there. I felt like if I were to dive low, I had a feeling I was going to get freight-trained,” Patrick said in a post-race interview.

Any driver could have said that in the same position. I saw the interview several times and never once thought she was 'calling out the field'.

Stupid dicktard sports writers write stupid E36 M3.

Josh
Josh SuperDork
2/26/13 6:59 a.m.

What she said didn't sound like whining to me, it was just the truth. It's her first time in the race, so she was explaining why she stayed conservative and took her top 10 finish rather than risk an incident. If she had made a move and it didn't work the press would have crucified her for being overaggressive and reckless. I'm not a big nascar fan, but it seems like most of the commentary I have heard leading up to and after this race has refused to acknowledge that she has any talent or right to be there - after she got the pole it was all "well, qualifying is mostly the car, she won't as be competitive in the race", then during the race while she was running in or near the front it was "she won't be able to handle the scramble at the end". Now they're trying to make her sound like a sore loser. I don't see why they can't just admit that she had a very respectable debut at Daytona regardless of what sort of genitals she possesses.

marks93cobra
marks93cobra New Reader
2/26/13 7:04 a.m.

I didn't take that comment as her whining, like stated above, any driver would have made that comment because it's true, the preferred line was the upper line, to get out of it would have been stupid.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/26/13 7:04 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: Stupid dicktard sports writers write stupid E36 M3.

I dunno, I thought he left on a positive note.

Next week at Phoenix will be a test in proving she belongs, on a track where you really have to drive your car. Doing well there will probably raise Danica’s credibility in the garage - and it will have nothing to do with her being a woman, but a racer, just as she wants it.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
2/26/13 7:09 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

That positive note was tainted by the digs he threw before it. I got the impression the author was whining a lot more than Patrick.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/26/13 7:18 a.m.

No whining, just observations.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/26/13 7:19 a.m.
oldsaw wrote: In reply to 914Driver: That positive note was tainted by the digs he threw before it. I got the impression the author was whining a lot more than Patrick.

i think that "positive note" was a dig in itself - "where you really have to drive your car" as opposed to daytona where you sit there and put on the auto-pilot? i'm not sure how many of you have driven a stock car but it's a hell of a lot of work. i was sore 20 laps in.

i think the sexists are coming out of the woodwork. everyone loves michael waltrip, but he has sucked since the dawn of time and nobody questions his skills. danica gets the pole and finishes top 10 and she hasn't proven herself yet? serious?

i'm glad i don't like nascar.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
2/26/13 7:26 a.m.

Good Lord.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/26/13 7:28 a.m.

Whew, that author lets everyone know he has a strong dislike to Danica, doesn't he?

While she's not on my list of happy people I'd like to meet, seems to me she's holding her own just fine in the Nascar world, and has found the format she fits well into. She took pole position, and finished in the top 10. Well done indeed.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/26/13 7:39 a.m.

Good I hope she keeps pissing him off. LOL Danica is the best thing to happen to nascar in a long time. She is a very talented driver. She obviously has a very good team with good cars. She is going to do well. I even liked her comments on the radio. A Lot of humbleness and asking for direction and comments so she could do things better. When was the last time you heard a Kevin Harvick or Tony Stewart ask his crew for there opinion as to what they could do better? She is doing just fine. And yes full disclosure I am a Danica fan. I would like to see her take names and win a couple of these races.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
2/26/13 7:50 a.m.
patgizz wrote: i think the sexists are coming out of the woodwork. everyone loves michael waltrip, but he has sucked since the dawn of time and nobody questions his skills. danica gets the pole and finishes top 10 and she hasn't proven herself yet? serious? i'm glad i don't like nascar.

I don't agree. It seems that if anyone dares to question anything about her, they're sexist. I don't understand that. She got freight trained at the end of the race, it happens. If you watched her interview, you could tell she was biting her lip, but she wasn't happy and whined a bit about it. I've heard plenty of race car drivers whine about stuff like that....Kyle Busch comes to mind. From the interviews I've heard from Danica over the years, she voices her displeasure if something doesn't go her way, like a lot of drivers do. I don't see it as sexist to say that.

While I think she should be commended for her 8th place finish at Daytona, I don't think it's something to get too excited over. She's essentially in a Hendrick car, so getting the pole is no surpise. The draft gives almost every car in the field a chance at a top 10, and she was able to take advantage of it. Every year, there's a "surprise" top 10 finisher there. This year, cars like JJ Yeley, driving for Tommy Baldwin, finished top 10. Great for them, but not a huge deal. If Danica scores top 10s at non-restrictor plate tracks, then I'll be the first one to say how impressive that is.

BTW, I think plenty of folks questioned Michael Waltrips' ability. Good at plate tracks, but nowhere else. He hung around, and continues to, because he's a top salesman.

cwaters
cwaters New Reader
2/26/13 8:03 a.m.

If I was her, I'd have been properly pissed from the moment the dude said "Drivers, and Danica, Start Your Engines!"

I agree that she wasn't happy finishing 8th. Seems like I'd feel the same way, knowing I had a car that could have won if I'd been able to get some help. You can't really fault her for feeling dissapointed and a little angry, especially if she BELIEVED she could/would win.

I'd be worried if my driver was content with 8th.

It's all a bit mountain - mole hill to me. She's a driver. It's cool that a woman took the pole, led laps, and finished in the top 10 but that's over now. Let's get excited again when/if she wins a few races. Until then? meh.

I'd honestly like to hear more about the woman who was in the race in '80(?). THAT must have taken some doing.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
2/26/13 8:08 a.m.
Josh wrote: What she said didn't sound like whining to me, it was just the truth. It's her first time in the race, so she was explaining why she stayed conservative and took her top 10 finish rather than risk an incident.

Agreed - several other drivers did get freight trained from poorly timed attempts to pass in the race.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/26/13 8:09 a.m.

Danica sports an attitude, but it's got to really suck to be under the microscope in the way that she is. A lot of people resent her because she gets publicity in a disproportionate ratio to her talent. But what is she supposed to do? Turn down the endorsements? Be a good little soldier and shut up?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
2/26/13 8:28 a.m.
plance1 wrote: More complaining? Surprise surprise http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/national/danica-patrick-calls-out-field-after-daytona-500---was-she-right

Sour grapes.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
2/26/13 9:19 a.m.

When you consider that the seven guys that finished in front of here had a lot more experience. It looked as if Biffle, who she was behind for a long time, couldn't keep up the pace. this may have held her up. She did take a peak near the end but thought better of it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/13 9:21 a.m.

I saw that interview live. She'd just managed to wiggle out of the car after crossing the finish line. I'm sure we'd all say the perfect things when we're all full of adrenaline and pumped up from a very eventful last couple of laps capping off a long race. Yup, I'd never say anything that could be twisted around.

I'm not a NASCAR expert, but I couldn't see how she could have got in front. You really can't do anything on your own. She took a gamble on who to draft and, well, the guys down low got it right.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
2/26/13 9:29 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Good I hope she keeps pissing him off. LOL Danica is the best thing to happen to nascar in a long time.

I hate to admit it, but the only reason I tuned into the race on Sunday was pure curiosity about how she would do. Which leads to my thought...

(puts on tinfoil hat)

So it seems that NASCAR giving her the pole worked. Ratings are down, they need to boost the numbers, mighty good timing to bring in a lightening rod of attention at one of the biggest races of the year.

(takes off tinfoil hat)

dean1484
2/26/13 9:34 a.m.

The best thing is that my wife and daughter actually watched allot of the race. They were cheering on Danica. That and some BBQ a couple of cold one's and it was a great day!!

dean1484
2/26/13 9:40 a.m.

After thinking about the finish had she dropped down in front of DEJr I am betting that Jr would not have pushed her to the front as this would deny a Hendrick car the win. Yes Jr would have been a hero of sorts if he did this. I bet if Danica dropped down and got a run with JR he would have forced the issue with the 2nd place car and pushed Johnson to the win and let Danica fend for her self. She may have ended up better than 8th if this played out but I would be willing to bet that she would not get the help from Jr to take the win from Johnson.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
2/26/13 9:59 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: After thinking about the finish had she dropped down in front of DEJr I am betting that Jr would not have pushed her to the front as this would deny a Kendrick car the win. Yes Jr would have been a hero of sorts if he did this. I bet if Danica dropped down and got a run with JR he would have forced the issue with the 2nd place car and pushed Johnson to the win and let Danica fend for her self. She may have ended up better than 8th if this played out but I would be willing to bet that she would not get the help from Jr to take the win from Johnson.

No no no no, that can't happen. Danica has to work her way up the finishing places. She isn't scheduled to win a race until Talladega. After that she and Jr. can battle it out. The merchandising alone will be worth millions!

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
2/26/13 11:37 a.m.

First, without someone to push you, you're not going to win. And at the end, you're going to go with someone you know. Let's be real, there aren't a lot of drivers out there yet that are comfortable drafting with her, they do not know enough to know how she will react. Scott Speed would have had the same issues.

You have to put in your dues with Nascar to be sure, but you also have to do it with the drivers. Everyone wants to win, and they don't want to die doing it. If they don't trust you yet, you're going to the back, especially if you do something stupid.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/26/13 2:01 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: First, without someone to push you, you're not going to win. And at the end, you're going to go with someone you know. Let's be real, there aren't a lot of drivers out there yet that are comfortable drafting with her, they do not know enough to know how she will react. Scott Speed would have had the same issues. You have to put in your dues with Nascar to be sure, but you also have to do it with the drivers. Everyone wants to win, and they don't want to die doing it. If they don't trust you yet, you're going to the back, especially if you do something stupid.

yeah, look at the NW race ... Travis Pastrana had the same problem ... every time he hooked up with someone they went towards the front .. then suddenly he would be dropped .... can't be much more than lack of confidence, lack of knowledge, lack of familiarity with him

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
39TOzSOa5sPSJcXltN45YmutvKobDW5AqhN3EYKz3VdUYDKpOgii9sgzrkjjNFzi