Treb
Treb New Reader
8/14/09 11:09 p.m.

I'm looking for a replacement dash clock for my Fiat 124 Spider. I have two original Fiat clocks, neither of which works at all. I have a Volvo clock, which doesn't work either.

I'd like to swap one of the Fiat guage faces onto a clock that actually works.

I'm looking for an analog clock that fits a standard instrument hole -- what is it, 2-1/8" or something? -- and isn't as failure-prone as the fiat or Volvo clocks.

Suggestions? Thanks, Matt

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/14/09 11:13 p.m.

call Bruce at Bruce's parts Bin. He has a replacement clocks

Treb
Treb New Reader
8/14/09 11:43 p.m.

I'm under the impression that the original veglia clocks have a lifespan measured in months, not years. Are the new ones any different?

Bruce lists a clock for $110; not sure if that price is current. IAP lists a similar clock for $229.

Either way, that's expensive if it's only a temporary fix. Matt

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/15/09 7:52 a.m.

Try asking over at www.mirafiori.com and see if anyone has an answer on installing different guts in the housing or if there's a simple fix to the clocks. The one in my car never worked either. I was actually glad about that as I didn't have to worry about it draining the battery while it was parked.

The Subaru Forester community is plagued with equally unreliable clocks but it's a simple solder fix that usually lasts forever. It may not be a big deal to fix one. I just never bothered to try figuring it out.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/15/09 8:03 a.m.

There's several places that do clock repair. I dunno if their prices are much cheaper than a new clock, probably not.

The Jensen Healey Preservation Society magazine had an article from a member a little while back where he detailed gutting a non operational original Kienzle clock and installing the workings from a AA battery powered alarm clock. He used a battery holder on the outside of the original case and hot glued the face to the alarm clock's workings. He painted the hands etc to match the originals, at first glance you couldn't tell it wasn't original. Sorry, I don't have a link but it's certainly something to consider.

akamcfly
akamcfly New Reader
8/15/09 8:08 a.m.

boost gauge?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/09 10:53 a.m.

You may want to try North Hollywood Speedometer and Clock:

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
8/15/09 11:11 a.m.

Wear a watch?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/09 1:57 p.m.

Bruce's clocks are NOT exact.. but look very simiar. I think they last more than a few months.

I actually had a veglia clock that was working in my old 75. I took it out, mounted it to a plinth, and hooked up a 12v PS to make it work.

I think I lost in it a move

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
8/16/09 7:33 a.m.

Maserati BiTurbos have a nice dash clock, everything else sucks, but a nice clock.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
8/16/09 3:33 p.m.

70s chevy trucks have clocks in them that are supposed to be decent, although they are rather noisy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KzC74Ff9tZw86EpgDAwztnLkKwuLik69NAAtrMzaXRyHOZBEiCl3vkhvqnFdXOPZ