TxCoyote
TxCoyote New Reader
2/26/12 8:10 p.m.

So I've decided to take the plunge for real Data Acquisition. I have decided on the RacePak ICQ Datalogger. Who has this unit? What has your experience been? Who is the best dealer with the best support? Price?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
2/27/12 6:53 a.m.

I don't use one or have one but i do know the guy to talk to. John Block over at Auto-ware. http://www.auto-ware.com/ One of his webinar classes starts today!

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/27/12 7:33 a.m.

I've looked into various data loggers over the years, befire deciding on building my own (which has stalled due to lack of doing motorsports much anymore....).

the one thing I didn't like about RacePak is that you have to use their sensors. And they are not cheap what so ever. So putting a system together can be quite pricy. I preferred the Race Technology products much better.

In the end, though, it was interesting to find out that one can do a very powerful system that is put together like a MS system is- multi channel inputs, thermocouples, GPS, acclerometers- all for a price well under $500. It just takes some work to do it.

Anyway- be aware of what you are getting, support, and software. It should be easy to set up and run.

TxCoyote
TxCoyote New Reader
2/27/12 9:40 a.m.

Thanks for the response guys. I may need to be more clear though. I need a dash display unit as I currently don't have any gauges in the car and as a benefit for driver improvement I want to combine it with data logging and video. MoTec was way too expensive so I ruled them out. I've looked at RacePak ICQ, Stack and Aim MXL Pista and it seems that they all cost about the same if you buy all the sensors but you can get in for less at the start with RacePak. I should mention that the car is a 1st gen RX7 with no ECU so it is sendsors for everything not covered by gps or accelerometers. I have spoken with the 949 racing guys and they seem to offer great support but before I make the plunge I am happy to be talked out of or into other options. I don't have the time or the skill set to make my own as Alfadriver suggests, although that is a great idea. I'm trying to keep the car as reliable as possible so I can maximize seat time and minimize garage time. I know a reliable race car is like military intelligence, Jumbo Shrimp, honest politicians, etc.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/27/12 9:58 a.m.

In reply to TxCoyote:

Well, for the most part, hardware is hardware. So if you find that a particular set up fits your budget better than another, and fits your needs- cool beans.

The only thing I'll suggest beyond that is playing with their software. If you can quicly and easily download the data and interpret it, that alone may be worth $200. Especially if we are talking in between runs.

One other note- be aware of high frequency GPS- there are only a few chips out there that are actually capable of anything faster than 5hz- so if they claim 20, try to find out what chip they are using, and know if they are interpolating the 5hz data to make it 20hz. Not that it's bad- as you can do a great job stitching GPS data together with 3 axis accelerometers + gyros, but you have to have that PLUS some pretty impressive math included in the code to do it well.

If people you run with know the system- that's a bonus, too- they can help you set it up, and figure out how to use the data.

chaparral
chaparral Reader
2/27/12 10:04 a.m.

AIM equipment can actually survive on a kart, the others not so much...

Chet
Chet New Reader
2/27/12 12:06 p.m.

Have you considered the DigiDash II Pro+ unit from ETB Instruments? http://www.etbinstruments.com/DD2_Pro_Plus.htm

The DigiDash II is a high quality unit designed by racers. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the features, ease of install and general use. ETB even includes free Lifetime firmware updates.

You can download the user manual, analysis software, log examples, etc for free.

http://www.etbinstruments.com/Digidash_Downloads.htm

Please note that we are the US agent for ETB Instruments and a long time Grassroots Motorsports advertiser.

We use the DigiDash II Pro+ in our Hayabusa powered Sylva J15 and Fury cars.

Please feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Thanks

Chet

Galek Motorsports Racing

862-668-7373

TxCoyote
TxCoyote New Reader
2/27/12 7:43 p.m.

Spent time talking with Chet today. The DigiDash 2 Pro looks like it has everything I want for far less than the Racepak, and the software looks very straightforward. Any independent experience before I take the plunge. Chet, if you see this, you did a great job answering my questions. Thank you for your time. I will make my decision within a day or so.

TxCoyote
TxCoyote New Reader
2/28/12 2:56 p.m.

Well, I took the plunge for the DiGi2 based on 3 factors. 1. ease of use on the software, had it figured out in minutes, 2. Still haven't figured out the others. Features, look at what you get for the price and 3. Price.

I should state that this is a tremendous value. I am surprised that Chet doesn't sell more of them. BTW, I am in no wayaffiliated with Chet or ETB, but I am very impressed with him and the product. I'll try and remember to write a review before too long

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/28/12 3:26 p.m.
chaparral wrote: AIM equipment can actually survive on a kart, the others not so much...

+1

Software is a little "odd" but very powerful once you get used to it.

TxCoyote
TxCoyote New Reader
3/5/12 9:22 p.m.

Received the package the other day. Very well made. Easy to follow directions and it seems like it'll do everything I want and more. It'll be a couple of weeks before install as I'm wiring the car now but I cannot wait to see this in action.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6jk5lK2uiu6tuWYyGtVHgsFFzDESutvWnzpFNTtIAqlMpT2oioUVA0tmykNQcucb