1 2
Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/24/08 11:30 a.m.

The HHR/PT Cruiser panel wagon thing got me to thinkin'. I have always kinda wanted to build a 2 door 510 wagon. I've seen a couple which just have the rear doors welded/leaded into place, but that's not what I was thinking.

I'm thinking more along the lines of using a set of 510 coupe doors, splicing in a set of coupe B pillars, using the original rear doors from the wagon as sheel metal donors to fill in the gap between the B pillar and the rear fender arch, then use a 1 piece side glass tinted super dark.

Anybody ever seen this done?

M030
M030 Dork
12/24/08 11:44 a.m.

Sounds cool! I've never seen this done to a Datsun 510, but I have seen it done to a Chevy Malibu wagon. You should build it!!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
12/24/08 11:47 a.m.

Problem is, where are you going to find a donor 510?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/08 11:50 a.m.

I've seen an old Volvo wagon converted from four doors to two.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/24/08 12:14 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Problem is, where are you going to find a donor 510?

Wagons are fairly easy to find. The 2 door might be tough, though (at least for a reasonable price). I'd be best off with a 2 door that's been clobbered from behind, since all I need is the doors and B pillars.

Since this would in no way involve keeping a stock drivetrain, neither car would even need to run. That's where a 2WD Pathfinder or 300ZX drivetrain would come in handy.

Oh my Gawd, I'm planning and rationalizing it already! Memo to self: finish the Jensenator, the SuperSecretProject and the Street Tracker first.

Goldmember
Goldmember New Reader
12/24/08 6:33 p.m.

I bought an 89 Civic sedan beater from a guy who was sitting on 5(yes FIVE) 510 wagons, rangeing from rust bucket parts car to the cherry 40K driver with working factory AC. $2500 for the lot, but:

• You had to take them all
  • they were autos
  • they were in Iowa

The guy was staying with his daughter in ME, and I live in NH. He gave me a month to think about it before he put them in Hemmings, but I couldn't figure a cost effective way to get them all back to NH with out taking 2 weeks off of work.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/24/08 6:37 p.m.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/967420827.html this too far for you? He's been listing this thing for atleast 4 or 5 months. I bet he'd take way lower than what he's asking.

Eldukerino
Eldukerino New Reader
12/24/08 7:54 p.m.

You actually don't even need the b-pillar from a 2-door. You could just move the wagon one back a bit (2-door doors are longer than wagon ones). I like the panel idea, as it would make the situation with the rear glass easier.

Here is a link to a wagon that has been converted to a 2-door. He used the 2-door pop out windows as well.

http://www.dimequarterly.tierranet.com/pictures/wagon.timb.html

Here is one from down under detailing converting a 4-door to a 2-door and how they moved the b-pillar.

http://www.datsport.com/Project_VQ.html

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/25/08 8:16 a.m.

Y'all are NOT making this easy for me.

The one in Seattle is a bit too far, unfortunately.

The wagon on dimequarterly looks a lot like what I want to do with the exception of the pop out windows. Since I wasn't planning on popouts, I guess I could just move the wagon B pillars back. That means all I would need is a pair of 2 door doors. The doors need to be a little longer than the stock wagon doors for rear seat access. I'm thinking Porsche Guards Red with biscuit interior and chrome bumpers with a set of Panasports or those RB? Panasport knockoffs with silver centers.

derekshannon, check this out: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/sprockets-yet-another-project/5555/page1/ If you are married and like motorcycles, I suggest you put your divorce lawyer on speed dial.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/26/08 6:50 a.m.

Well, after all of 5 minutes of searching I found a wagon in SC for $300.00. Like I need another project. Anyway, the 2 door B pillar is completely different from the 4 door/wagon and while it could be fabricated it will just be a lot simpler to get 2 door B pillars. Which I found in Georgia.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/26/08 7:15 a.m.

And WE are talking YOU into it? Sounds like there is a mirror in front of you

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/26/08 7:20 a.m.

Now why did you have to drag the truth into this conversation?

[Flip Wilson] 'De debbil made me do it!' [/Flip Wilson]

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
12/26/08 9:31 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: [Flip Wilson] 'De debbil made me do it!' [/Flip Wilson]

Me being 46 years old "gets" this. But I think a lot of the younger crowd is saying: huh?

steamcorners
steamcorners Reader
12/26/08 9:34 a.m.

So, this would be the NomaDime? Count me as one egging you on. .if only to see pix. . .

wagonfanatic
wagonfanatic New Reader
7/12/11 6:32 a.m.

Coolest Datsun 510 wagon ever...

http://velocityresource.com/SupraPoweredDatsun510Wagon.aspx

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
7/12/11 8:34 a.m.

I have seen a full 2 door wagon conversion. The guy went so far as to remove the wagons stick axle and install the sedans IRS. The only thing stopping it from being the most awesome car ever was the retina searing shade of bright pink he chose to paint it.

This was at least 15 years ago.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/11 9:17 a.m.

I seem to recall ACVW guys with Type 3 wagons cutting out the C pillar and putting in one piece windows.

If you wanted to go for a true panel "van" look.. it's even easier.. just weld in sheetmetal. brace to keep it from flapping around, smooth, and paint

failboat
failboat Reader
7/12/11 9:22 a.m.

eh. thought it was a 510 but when i found the pics it wasnt.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/12/11 10:21 a.m.

In reply to wagonfanatic:

I just spent way too much time on that site, yummy.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/11 11:31 a.m.

That,s just wat you need. :D

Super secret project???

I can't wait to hear this one.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/11 11:32 a.m.

I hate trying to type on a phone.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
7/12/11 12:31 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

It's easier than talking on a keyboard I suppose.

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
7/12/11 3:10 p.m.

Why not get a wagon, put coupe doors, then reinforce and put in sheet metal. Paint it flat black and let a pinstripe artist loose on it.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
7/12/11 5:54 p.m.

I've seen it done with hot rods from the 50s and 60s on the HAMB, sedans are easier to find and they love fab work.

DO IT.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
7/12/11 8:24 p.m.

BAM! ZAP! This thread rises from the grave! The project idea still squirms in my deeply addled brain from time to time. One of these days...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
heuLW9vNpOi4II6J8bre5wuIEWCEpqBGaAyoiLin4CAOp15SaXBoEFsPRTSap1w4