ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
10/16/10 1:52 p.m.

hese late 70s Datsun 510s are probably more rare than the earlier ones since they don’t have the same kind of following. Known as the Violet in other markets they where a less sporty car with live rear axle instead of the independent suspension of the earlier car (except the wagon). My parents owned a 1978 Datsun 510 station wagon with red (rapidly fading to orange) paint and fake wood paneling. I remember it as an interesting car with its leather (or perhaps leather like) shifter boot and deep set independent gauges.

Its been a few years since I’ve come across one but this was fantastic. Its a coupe with fender flares and alloy wheels decked out rather like a race car.

Datsun 510 Coupe

integraguy
integraguy Dork
10/16/10 2:06 p.m.

There is one of these on a used car lot near me, for under $2K, if I remember correctly.

www.iamcarsmart.com

There also used to be a coupe a few blocks from where I live, painted in an unremarkable light brown. Considering some of the other Nissans being sold here about that time...these aren't too bad of a car. Too bad they are no match for the "original" 510, or even a '91 to '94 Sentra.

BTW, the car we know as the original 510 was sold in other markets with solid axles (very few markets got the top "option" of IRS) and with OHV engines in the lesser models.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kNgzxai72oGYsJrqp4BgEnwelet7gjEfDFqnQTQsrW5TycEEEgMrEM1qWLFS6tri