1 2
Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
2/18/18 7:23 p.m.

I'm a big NASCAR fan, but I hate restrictor plate racing.  It's stupid.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/18 7:31 p.m.

I am almost thinking they should go back to the old V6 motors from the Busch series and remove the plate.  Besides a V6 would be much more reprosentitive of the cars that they are supposed to be racing. 

Kramer
Kramer Dork
2/18/18 7:44 p.m.

Plate racing isn't much different than the old ARCA Pro-4 at superspeedways.  Just a parade going all out, all the way around.  

I like Indy just because they have to slow down for the turns.  Pocono, too.  

I wish they could find the right formula so Daytona and Talladega wouldn't be such wreck fests.  

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/18/18 8:17 p.m.

Ah, watching the #3 crash someone out to take the win.  That takes me back....

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/19/18 9:52 a.m.

Oddly, we couldn't hear the race from the house--we're about 15 minutes away. Considering how much louder the Rolex sounded this year, I figured we'd hear them running. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/19/18 10:03 a.m.

Ditch the multiple sessions.....fix the aero push...and  I might try watchin' NEcKAR again.....well i do catch some races ......the road course events wink

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
2/19/18 3:49 p.m.

I quit liking NASCAR when they allowed front wheel drive cars to have rear wheel drive. 

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
2/19/18 6:44 p.m.

First year since the 1980's I didn't watch a single lap of the 500. Three out of the four restrictor plate races last season wrecked over half the field. I'm done condoning this stupid behavior. At least the XFinity drivers know how to finish off a race.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
2/20/18 12:49 a.m.

It only took them five tries!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/18 6:13 a.m.

I've always thought skinnier tires would be better than the restrictor plate. Let them have all the power but force them to dance.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
2/20/18 6:18 a.m.

When I was young......................... A 500 Mile race was an endurance race.

I think ALL the drivers should get a chance to stop and Get a Shower and some Iced Tea between Stages, Interviews with the Family, Maybe A Snack, and a round of Amazing Grace. See if any super star Singers can Screw that up !

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
2/20/18 12:14 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Oddly, we couldn't hear the race from the house--we're about 15 minutes away. Considering how much louder the Rolex sounded this year, I figured we'd hear them running. 

As an aside, we grew up 14 miles from Mission Bay (San Diego) where they ran the unlimited hydroboat races. This was back when they ran Allison V12s - not these sissy turbines like now. Anyhow, we could hear them from home... 14 miles!

chada75
chada75 Reader
2/20/18 6:46 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Only problem with the V-6 is they still ran the plates at the Superspeedways.

Will
Will UltraDork
2/20/18 7:00 p.m.

My answer is drag. Doesn't hurt the handling the way removing tire does, and makes it easier for one car to get a run, pull out and pass. The trucks prove that with enough drag, you can run without a restrictor and promote tons of passing.

The 2000 aero package with those big blades on the roof made for great racing, and I don't think they caused any more problems than any other solution that's been tried so far.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/18 7:15 p.m.
chada75 said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Only problem with the V-6 is they still ran the plates at the Superspeedways.

They also failed regularly and spectacularly.  We had a collection of  crank bits on our wall of shame. 

Rallygorgo
Rallygorgo New Reader
2/20/18 8:05 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

It was like Dale Sr. drove that last lap!  Fun race to watch.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/18 8:41 p.m.
Rallygorgo said:
Tom_Spangler said:

It was like Dale Sr. drove that last lap!  Fun race to watch.  

Exactly what I was thinking. Was a great moment. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/20/18 8:44 p.m.
GTXVette said:

When I was young......................... A 500 Mile race was an endurance race.

I think ALL the drivers should get a chance to stop and Get a Shower and some Iced Tea between Stages, Interviews with the Family, Maybe A Snack, and a round of Amazing Grace. See if any super star Singers can Screw that up !

I always thought they should drive with one hand and the other hand holding a cell phone talking to Darrell Waltrip or Kyle Petty.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TaXRQ3rWZEDkITvnBNVvcYZMDKH4XMDRKHlXaruzduEPF9U7HHO8fnLTJnbq5yAx