1 2
CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer Reader
10/11/08 8:10 a.m.

You can start finding used Honda Fits now for under $10,000. I think the Toyota Matrix would be a good thing too. Mazda3 hatchback has lots of trunk space.

I personally started looking at older CRVs too. For the AWD, good mpg, and more hauling room (I have 3 kids now).

sanman
sanman New Reader
10/12/08 11:19 a.m.

The pontiac vibe as well. Same as the Matrix with greater depreciation. However, that will also hit him if he sells it later.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
10/12/08 11:57 a.m.

Fit is go! I like the Fit.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/12/08 8:20 p.m.

Fit is too expensive. No dice.

Powerstroke Excursion? Total overkill. Carrying capacity he wantsis something along the lines of a small wagon or SUV. No kids, none on the way, and no towing necessary. Also, 22+ is not good enough fuel economy in this case (although it's great for a vehicle as capable as an Excursion). Think 30+ on the highway. Also, total mileage is going to need to be as low as possible-preferably under 100k.

As far as the comment that "anything is good for a person who's not an enthusiast", well, my brother is 21 and this is thing he's ever bough more expensive than an Xbox 360. He's done the mature thing and asked my input, so I'm helping him out as best I can. Also, just because he doesn't like to work on them or understand how they work doesn't mean he doesn't get some enjoyment out of driving.

Crown Vic is intriguing, but probably not good enough mileage in the city. They do quite well on the highway, I know, but a 4000lb V8 car is just not going to be as efficient in stop and go as a 2600lb four cylinder.

The more I think about it, I'm actually leaning towards telling him to buy the cleanest late-model SL2/SW2 he can find with the $2500 and put the rest towards college.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GzutrbC8yO0thNCgl1cmcFimTs3S5k7GE4BNmmcynDthxvItBa9WqdMEtuiJo2W2