1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/28/20 1:57 p.m.
feature_image

“Mission AAR is a long-term, multi-stage, strategic initiative to return America’s automobile industry to its glory days of automotive design and preeminence. And it begins with our first step, which we are proudly taking today.” That’s how De Tomaso, maker of the iconic Pantera, describes its multi-stage plan—called Phases—to move its core operations to the U.S.

Currently in Phase One …

Read the rest of the story

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/28/20 2:08 p.m.

2022 start up date suggests they are looking for an existing facility.  Even hand built cars need a lot of space and existing tools to do it. I wish them lots of luck!!!

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/28/20 2:26 p.m.

I’m not super optimistic about the viability of the company, but man i’d Love some of those cars on the road.

Colin Wood
10/28/20 2:41 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

Yeah, I'd say that I'm cautiously optimistic, especially in light of everything else going on in the world right now.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
10/28/20 2:45 p.m.

Is this the same company that build the Mangusta and the Pantera, or did somebody else just buy the name? 

Colin Wood
10/28/20 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

More like somebody bought the name. Here's what Wikipedia says:

The rights to the De Tomaso brand were acquired by Norman Choi of Ideal Team Ventures in 2014. The new management under Choi's leadership undertook the task of reviving the brand. Five years later, the company unveiled its first product, the P72 retro-styled sports car at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, at the time of 60th anniversary of the De Tomaso brand. The car had been in development under the code name of "Project P". The new car is based on the Apollo Intensa Emozione's monocoque chassis, a car manufactured by De Tomaso's sister company Apollo Automobil and 72 units of the car will be sold.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/28/20 2:56 p.m.

What does Argentina have to do with it?  I see their flag.  Man that's a wild place.  Went down there one year for the Dakar.  I'm not sure I'd want to open up shop there though.  Chile maybe.  But Argentina es demasiado loco!

Wheels look full on Hot Wheels btw.  

Colin Wood
10/28/20 2:58 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

De Tomaso's founder, Alejandro de Tomaso, was born in Argentina, but started the company in Modena.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/28/20 3:01 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Alejandro De Tomaso was born in Argentina. 

That's why the flag is everywhere on the car. Wheel center caps, steering wheel, emblems. 

A 401 CJ
10/28/20 3:05 p.m.

Sounds like Horatio Pagani took a page right out of Alejandro's playbook.  

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/28/20 3:24 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Yeah, but he added a few more pages about staying in business and making a profit!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/28/20 3:27 p.m.

I'm holding my breath for a 50th anniversary model of the original Pantera.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
10/28/20 3:51 p.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to A 401 CJ :

That's why the flag is everywhere on the car. Wheel center caps, steering wheel, emblems. 

De Tomaso was an interesting guy. He came from an aristocratic family in Argentina and had to leave there very quickly after trying to overthrow the Peron Regime. Yeah. The Perons that Madonna made a movie about. Then he moved to Italy, raced Formula One and started a car company. 

He died in 2003 and this company really has nothing to do with him. Some guys from Hong Kong bought the name. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/20 5:56 p.m.

They're welcome to setup shop in my backyard. 

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
10/28/20 6:25 p.m.

Did someone say 351 Cleveland?

A 401 CJ
10/28/20 6:32 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

I always thought he messed up with that choice.  But I guess if Lincoln Mercury is going to sell your cars you gotta dance with who brung ya.  

10/28/20 6:32 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

Sounds like Horatio Pagani took a page right out of Alejandro's playbook.  

Horacio had Fangio's friendship to open doors for him. Especially Mercedes'. 
Pagani is only car manufacturer that can buy Mercedes engines directly from the factory and use them with their full support, that's thanks to Fangio. 

10/28/20 6:33 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to A 401 CJ :

De Tomaso was an interesting guy. He came from an aristocratic family in Argentina and had to leave there very quickly after trying to overthrow the Peron Regime. Yeah. The Perons that Madonna made a movie about. Then he moved to Italy, raced Formula One and started a car company. 

He died in 2003 and this company really has nothing to do with him. Some guys from Hong Kong bought the name. 

I was born in Argentina wink

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/28/20 6:33 p.m.

They're gonna need engineers- resume sent!

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
10/28/20 7:52 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

In reply to rustomatic :

I always thought he messed up with that choice.  But I guess if Lincoln Mercury is going to sell your cars you gotta dance with who brung ya.  

His previous cars the Vallelunga and Mangusta used ford engines aswell. Mangusta is Italian for mongoose which is the animal that can kill a cobra.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/28/20 7:59 p.m.

I think the engineers will need to understand fluid dynamics since I expect a lot of vaporware. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/28/20 10:01 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

That same crossed my mind.  It would probaby be exciting; work on something very pretty with a lot of history and cachet to the name along with wondering if the next paycheck will bounce.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/28/20 10:07 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

In reply to rustomatic :

FoMoCo helped develop the car and I believe partially funded the factory and all sorts of things to make the Pantera a real product that wouldn't be a complete embarrassment.  Eventually they walked away.  It would be interesting to know how much money Ford burned on this little adventure.

As for the 351C, if it's 1970 and your car company had decided to go with an American engine for a mid-engined sports car, I don't know if there were that many better options out there.  Boss 302?  Some Ram Air Pontiac? 

MotorsportsGordon
10/28/20 10:24 p.m.

Bruce mclarens street m6 gt used a 350 lt1 engine.

then there is the monterverdi hai 450 ss. Only 4 were built but used a 426 hemi.

MotorsportsGordon
10/28/20 10:25 p.m.

The panteras predecessor the mangusta used 289 and 302 engines

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nVPKPUpaa1mGmENgKyey56ecw9AtU221uTuC2ZjI6HgjEip0d9AxiMYv4ZyiqgZk