1 2
stan_d
stan_d Dork
6/17/14 7:24 p.m.

I picked up a dead 04 se-r has light spark. The fuel pump is running the injectors are firing (wet plugs) has no start condition. Need some ideas on what to check.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
6/17/14 7:30 p.m.

Did you check for spark on all cylinders? Are they all weak?

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
6/17/14 7:52 p.m.

Did you check the compression?

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
6/17/14 9:04 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: Did you check the compression?

This. Check the compression. I just went through this with the Celica I bought to fix up and sell on. No start, had spark, fuel and air, but turns out it had super low compression numbers. You could also put about a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder, and see if it'll start.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
6/18/14 12:41 a.m.

Didn't those have problems with the cat disintegrating and getting sucked into the engine enough to ruin it? Id say checking the compression sounds like a good idea.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
6/18/14 4:15 a.m.

timing belt or chain? if belt, skipped teeth, or possibly missing teeth?

-J0N

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/14 6:15 a.m.

cam and crank sensors. Nissans of that vintage eat them for lunch...

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
6/18/14 7:38 a.m.

That era sentra also like to drop butterfly valve hardware down in the intake manifold or high oil consumption. The QR is kind of a pile.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
6/18/14 7:56 a.m.

Nissans have all the problems listed above, but they also flood easily and lose compression as they wash the cylinders down. A tow start might be the easiest way if thats the case, but drying the plugs, oiling the cylinders and then pulling the fuel pump relay or fuse and cranking the hell out of it may do as well.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
6/18/14 8:14 a.m.

it an auto so pull start wont work. I have to find my compression tester it currently is hiding in my shop somewhere. I will give the oil a shot.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
6/19/14 10:12 a.m.

pulled all coils and here is what happens 1 spark ok and yellow next lighter then third no spark all cyl react the same. The compression tester is still mia going to buy one this weekend.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
6/20/14 3:32 p.m.

changed crank sensor good spark now still wont start. picking up a compression tester tomorrow.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
7/25/14 7:25 p.m.

Did a compression test. 20 30 30 10. No wonder it won't start.

Picked up a disassembled qr with a fresh shortblock jwt cams and balance shaft delete kit.

I think this will be my plan B challange car. What are the other shortcomings of this car?

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
7/25/14 9:13 p.m.

Get rid of the stock header and precat (there's a decent chance that killed the first motor). An aftermarket header will get rid of the precat and give you a noticeable power bump too. Disassemble the intake manifold and remove, locktite and reinstall all of the screws in the "butterfly valves". I think you covered the other shortcoming earlier with "its an automatic". QR's make really good power even without boost, but they aren't the most robust engines in the world. As for making it fun, the best thing you can do for the handling is to shop until you find a Nismo rear sway bar, set it on full stiff and enjoy a front driver that will rotate. Sadly, if its an auto, you're missing out on the LSD, which really is a gem when combined with a car that turns. My autocross strategy was basically throw it into the corner, slide the rear end, mat the gas. It was surprisingly fast and, oh man, was it fun.

Unfortunately, I never really trusted the motor, even after fixing the common QR killers.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
8/5/14 12:34 p.m.

Pulled valve cover powered metal on top of cam bolts

stan_d
stan_d Dork
8/12/14 8:55 a.m.

I have started to pull the engine. Way too complicated, The amount of time I have in to this pull has passed the remove and replace time on the 05 civic engine I just replaced.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
8/12/14 10:23 a.m.
stan_d wrote: I have started to pull the engine. Way too complicated, The amount of time I have in to this pull has passed the remove and replace time on the 05 civic engine I just replaced.

Its a Datsun...

stan_d
stan_d Dork
8/12/14 9:24 p.m.

Engine is out!! Removed the 2 valve keepers that I was missing for the replacement engine. Setting valve lash is a pain.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
8/17/14 9:04 p.m.

Assembling the replacement now. Have to love the engine is in totes purchase. It was Challenge friendly price though.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
8/17/14 9:12 p.m.

I am assembling the engine on a workbench and still can pick it up as a long block. I bet two guys could drop it in the engine bay. I carried the short block from the truck to the bench.

revhard
revhard New Reader
8/20/14 11:57 a.m.

Stan, whats to going rate for dead sentra se-r's if you dont mind me asking? I see them in ma going for near 2k which i think is crazy.

pitbull113
pitbull113 Reader
8/20/14 3:00 p.m.

We need an update

stan_d
stan_d Dork
8/21/14 10:12 a.m.

I bought this one for 600 and have seen a couple of spec v for 800-1200. Mine is just an auto ser.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
8/21/14 10:13 a.m.

I started a build thread.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/14 10:24 a.m.

Pssst... VQ35de...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wekhv3K5wH7z08yLR4IyhHehSfzESc2gntFTMdYLbUl4mmOfLJkzprK9yWbWXV71