1 2 3
Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/8/16 11:04 a.m.

Either I've got luck or there aren't a lot of slimeball dealers around here, but I have never run into this kind of crap in at least 6 dealer purchases.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/16 11:14 a.m.

Update: 9:03AM, Deanna from sales called me to let me know that stock # 49012A was still available and scheduled me to view it at 6:00PM.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
2/8/16 11:19 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Update: 9:03AM, Deanna from sales called me to let me know that stock # 49012A was still available and scheduled me to view it at 6:00PM.

Did you ask her what the price was?

You should pull into one of their side entrances (or park on the street), walk over to the car and stand by it and then call her. Tell her to meet you at the car with the price in hand.

That way, you're not stopped by another salesperson.

OR (and I'm sure it's too late to get it resolved), contact your local authorities and have them meet you at the dealership.

Sounds like you could have some fun with this. That is, if you're not already frustrated beyond belief.

-Rob

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/8/16 11:50 a.m.

so are you going to dick them around? you're not actually going to consider buying a car from these slimeballs right?

i'd show up promptly at 6 in the javelin and do a giant smoky burnout right at the front door shooting them the double birds on my way out the driveway.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/8/16 12:01 p.m.

Ask Deanna to bring the car to your house where you all can sit at the dining room table and complete the paperwork.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/16 12:24 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Ask Deanna to bring the car to your house where you all can sit at the dining room table and complete the paperwork.

This!!!!!

dean1484
2/8/16 12:26 p.m.

Or if you have a friend that is either a LEO or a lawyer bring them along. Just to "assist" you with the sale.

dean1484
2/8/16 12:29 p.m.

In situations like this if you still want the car I would play nice while building the biggest hammer you can hoping you don't need to use it. If the car really I as good a deal as it seems it is probably worth it to pursue it a bit more.

Javelin
2/8/16 1:08 p.m.

The problem is we really want the stupid car. I'm considering going down solo tonight.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
2/8/16 1:13 p.m.
Javelin wrote: The problem is we really want the stupid car. I'm considering going down solo tonight.

Not really the best way to phrase that second sentence...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/8/16 1:14 p.m.

So go look at it. Bring a copy of all your communications with them. And a checkbook.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/8/16 1:21 p.m.

Don't mention the price. Just call and tell them you're out on the lot by the car, have them come to you with the keys to test drive it. Tell them that if you're interested in the car after the drive, you'll talk about pricing.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
2/8/16 1:26 p.m.

Javelin, I'm sorry you had to endure this and get your time wasted. I think I can say, on behalf of the board, we're all behind you and we hope you strike a blow against a dishonest dealer.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
2/8/16 2:26 p.m.

Javelin,

Sorry about all the troubles you're having. Although you really want the car, sounds like you're in the position that you're not desperate to buy it. Use that in your favor. I don't know you well, but since you're on this board, you're smarter than the average buyer and could really turn this into some fun.

Don't get discouraged. Plan for what will happen and come prepared for the worst.

My assumption is one of two things:
1) You'll show up and Deanna will tell you, "Sorry, the car is sold." Try not to call her a bunch of expletives, because I can guarantee it's coming from her boss, not her.
2) You'll show up, she'll let you drive it, etc. and tell you the price is $19,997. You might want to confirm the price before even doing the test drive.

I'd love to think you'll be able to buy it for the advertised price, but I doubt it. And I'm 99% sure that she's not aware you've been through it all before and is just playing the bait and switch game her bosses have told her to play.

Too bad you don't have a cop friend or lawyer you could show up with.

-Rob

Javelin
2/8/16 2:44 p.m.

I'm torn. I want to go down again (it's only a 40 minute drive) to see the car again and either A: really catch them in the act again and go full-nuclear war on them or B: just buy the damn car at the price they advertised all over the internet. SWMBO thinks I am just wasting my time as it's clear by online reviews that these shiny happy people have done it plenty before and will continue doing it no matter what I do. She'd rather I use my time to just find another car.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/8/16 2:47 p.m.

I would make life hard for them and make them pay, personally. Go in, say "OK, I'll think about it" to the $19k price, take the test drive. Then tell them you want it. Tell them to get the title and all the keys. Get it all right there so they can make the deal. Then pull out your screenshots and tell them no negotiations will be necessary, you agree to their own advertised price. After that when they balk threaten to call the police for a bait-and-switch, which is (in most states) illegal.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/8/16 3:26 p.m.

One more vote for the "build your hammer" option. Get a test drive, start making a deal.

"No negotiation necessary, I'll pay your own advertised price. And here's what that price is. And all the documentation to prove it. Okay we have a deal? Or should I get police/BBB involved?"

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/8/16 4:12 p.m.

The other thing I consider is that if they are that shifty in this, what are they lying about on the car? You'd better check it out thoroughly. May be best to just find another car. I hate dealing with shiny happy people.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
2/8/16 4:30 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Javelin wrote:
MCarp22 wrote: They may have raised the price to discourage someone else from buying it?
I found it last night 30 minutes after they closed. They don't open this morning for another hour and a half.
On lot and online can be two different things. I had the same thing with the versa we just got. We won.

No you didn't, you ended up with a Versa

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/8/16 4:33 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: The other thing I consider is that if they are that shifty in this, what are they lying about on the car? You'd better check it out thoroughly. May be best to just find another car. I hate dealing with shiny happy people.

+1. I have to agree with the wife. Continue to look for hte car you want somewhere else.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/16 4:41 p.m.

It's a Prius, they made a million of the things. Don't give this dealership anything, IMHO.

Javelin
2/8/16 5:24 p.m.

Yeah, it's not worth my time. Just going to look for a different car now.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/16 9:09 p.m.

But you should still bust them for false advertising..

Javelin
2/8/16 9:14 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: But you should still bust them for false advertising..

I already submitted a report to the state AG's office for that.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/8/16 9:34 p.m.

I was interested in a used Mazda3 and ended up arguing with a shiny guy - I finally had to walk away and I ended up getting a nice Sentra private party. Don't make yourself nuts - some dealers play a lot of games.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y1CHzTZjB5HmT480UCLVDfcQblSkP4JODhTArzFL91uYFrXNxIbbcUAP5uj5jDaJ