1 2 3
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/8/16 9:35 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
mndsm wrote:
Javelin wrote:
MCarp22 wrote: They may have raised the price to discourage someone else from buying it?
I found it last night 30 minutes after they closed. They don't open this morning for another hour and a half.
On lot and online can be two different things. I had the same thing with the versa we just got. We won.
No you didn't, you ended up with a Versa

Its not the most hateful thing ive ever driven. And its a stick, so....whatever that means.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/8/16 9:50 p.m.

i filed with state attorney general for bait and switch tactics for the truck i looked at in december. last i saw i got a letter from the AG's office saying the dealer has not responded to their inquiry. i doubt it'll get them in trouble.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/9/16 8:55 a.m.

My dad sent a letter to the AG or whoever in the PRC over a bait and switch ad in the LA Times. The dealer called him up all "sorry sorry" and said come on down, that truck is right here for you at that price. He went down and bought it.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/9/16 9:09 a.m.

I bought the PT Cruiser from a dealer like this.

I test drove it, seemed fine. It was priced at (I don't remember) $9K. The dude and I were chatting as I was looking it over. I found a massive pile of receipts in the glovebox, it was a one owner car and everything was there from the very first oil change to the last. I was ready to buy it for $8K. We talked, he said $8K out the door, no problem. I told him we were going across the street to buy lunch and we'd be back with a check.

We walked back in, dude said "oh man, I am so sorry, I don't actually normally work at this dealer, and I can't actually make that deal, you have to deal with this guy", and then "This guy" said "8,700 or no deal" or something, so I said "OK, cool. Nice talking to you" and left. They had three guys stationed at the door, and stopped me, trying to convince to to take out a loan for the $1000 and invest the $300 difference and use the interest to pay for the interest (real math wiz, this guy was). I told him (literally) that I'd leave there without my pants before I'd leave with a loan, and walked out. They had one more guy at my car. He knocked at the window, told me to come back. I said, if I come back, it's $8K out the door or nothing. He said fine.

They stopped me at the door and offered something stupid like $8,100. I said, literally "$8K out the door or I'm walking away, I really hate negotiating". Dude was laughing, and said "Really, because you're really good at it!". I did not smile.

I eventually got the car for $8K, but it sucked every minute of the process.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that unless you're buying it at Carmax (which is what I did with the van) you're going to be jerked around. Just accept it's going to be a pissing contest, and you're going to win or walk, and go back and buy the thing.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
2/9/16 11:05 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

When I originally bought my '01 Fukus, the dealer initially told me it was $8k.....which was fine as I was getting 4K for the garbage s-10 I was trading in. They caught their error in the middle of the process(they gave $8.5k trade in for the fukus), but they never asked for anything other than $8k originally agreed upon.

Idk why, but it always seems like these bait & switch types of dealers are always in locations in this country that typically have a snooty attitude.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/16 11:32 a.m.

The dealership by the way is McCord's Vancouver Toyota in Vancouver, WA.

And yes, the "sold" car is still available.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
2/9/16 2:56 p.m.

Leave them a bad review on Yelp.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/9/16 3:26 p.m.
92dxman wrote: Leave them a bad review on Yelp.

I left a bad review for a dealer on cars.com once and their public reply contained my personal info(full name, where i live) and cars.com said its not against policy, so watch out what you post there. Dealers can be D's and have ne repercussions For what they post

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
2/9/16 3:50 p.m.

I typically won't even consider a car unless it has languished on a lot for awhile and I know I can negotiate a pretty good deal before they send to auction. That being said, the online price is almost always lower than what they have on the sticker (multiple reductions usually), so if you didn't do your research you could easily be on the hook for way more than you should.

I make sure to point out the online advertised price before we even start talking, just so they know our starting point for negotiations. They are none too pleased by this, but I've never had any problems/disagreements on it.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
2/9/16 5:42 p.m.

Have you thought about contacting Toyota US to let them know that their dealer in Vancouver WA are a bunch of shiny, happy people?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/9/16 8:04 p.m.

Man, I'm sure happy with my purchase. Walked in and test drove the car. Came in and told him I had 4 things wrong with it and he'd need to come down $1500 (off an already good price) for me to consider. He did it and we wrote the check; no problem whatsoever. Should have asked for out the door, but I'd go back ther based on that experience. Besides, as they say: pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. I did ok.

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
2/10/16 9:10 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote:
mndsm wrote:
Javelin wrote:
MCarp22 wrote: They may have raised the price to discourage someone else from buying it?
I found it last night 30 minutes after they closed. They don't open this morning for another hour and a half.
On lot and online can be two different things. I had the same thing with the versa we just got. We won.
No you didn't, you ended up with a Versa
Its not the most hateful thing ive ever driven. And its a stick, so....whatever that means.

I too just bought a Versa, Unfortunately it's a sedan but the backseat is hilariously oversized as is the trunk compared to the outside. Which is all I was looking for since I need to fit a car seat in the near future. And it's a stick and not entirely hateful to drive.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
2/10/16 10:13 a.m.
mtn wrote: Man, I'm sure happy with my purchase. Walked in and test drove the car. Came in and told him I had 4 things wrong with it and he'd need to come down $1500 (off an already good price) for me to consider. He did it and we wrote the check; no problem whatsoever. Should have asked for out the door, but I'd go back ther based on that experience. Besides, as they say: pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. I did ok.

Similar experiences here from my most recent dealer experience, I have nothing but good things to say about the Marysville, OH Ford dealer I picked my Abarth up from.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/16 10:49 a.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote:
mtn wrote: Man, I'm sure happy with my purchase. Walked in and test drove the car. Came in and told him I had 4 things wrong with it and he'd need to come down $1500 (off an already good price) for me to consider. He did it and we wrote the check; no problem whatsoever. Should have asked for out the door, but I'd go back ther based on that experience. Besides, as they say: pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. I did ok.
Similar experiences here from my most recent dealer experience, I have nothing but good things to say about the Marysville, OH Ford dealer I picked my Abarth up from.

That's the really crappy thing. The Mazda5 we bought a month ago from Honda of Kirkland was fantastic. I can't recommend them enough (and yes, I left 5 star reviews for them). A couple of days of emails getting details and working out a price, and all of about 35 minutes to buy the car, and most of that was the test drive. It did take another 30-40 minutes in the F&I office because we wrote a check and they had to verify it plus the state paperwork for title is long, but it was still an amazingly quick and hassle-free transaction.

I don't understand why doing the same for a grey Prius is so berking hard.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
2/10/16 12:39 p.m.
NGTD wrote: Have you thought about contacting Toyota US to let them know that their dealer in Vancouver WA are a bunch of shiny, happy people?

This. I would think that Toyota corporate customer service might be interested in knowing more about their dealerships that engage in outright illegal practices.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/10/16 12:55 p.m.

Don't give up. If it's the car you want at the price you want, you can still bully your way through it if you can deal with the idiocy.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d3BZkcPS1WUMnEhmTd2ih0MXEAgbd2V7FBQdOUDHnT3TnXG6TV1OtKRQHDyQS0Ze