captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/18 9:31 a.m.

The Fit sport is a fantastic little car with incredible space utility due to amazing seat design and configuration, excellent suspension and road manners and is fun and engaging in a way that few car manufacturers know how to master these days, it's a fun slow car to drive fast. That being said it's time to drop the 180HP 1.5L turbo into the Fit. With the Elantra sport having respectable sales figures, but severely lacking in chassis dynamics when compared to the Fit, with the Fiesta exiting stage right and with the Civic Si and Civic R rekindling an interest in the brand amongst enthusiast, it's time. Give us a B segment hot hatch that matches the performance capabilities found by competitors within the segment with Honda reliability that is lacking. Raid the parts bin and make it happen.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
5/8/18 9:38 a.m.

I'll sell my 2008 Fit sport and buy a new Fit Si if they ever make one.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/8/18 9:45 a.m.

^^^^^^ copied extensively and forwarded repeatedly.

In an age in which small cars make less economic sense, it behooves Honda to maximize the appeal, and thus the production numbers of their offerings. Give us practical slot cars. That isn't so much to ask.

captdownshift
5/8/18 9:46 a.m.

In reply to jimbob_racing :

It would immediately jump to the top of my list (above a used Element and Ecamper conversion) as the xB replacement. Hondata gets north of 220HP with a reflash on the 1.5T motor, that plus a limited slip would have me happily grinning for years to come. Such a package would be the perfect balance for daily driving, autocross and rallycross with really no sacrifice or shortcomings. 

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
5/8/18 9:52 a.m.

Yes, I want this. I doubt it will ever get build though because it would probably eat into CTR sales and, really, would anybody buy a Civic Si anymore? 

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/8/18 9:56 a.m.
penultimeta said:

Yes, I want this. I doubt it will ever get build though because it would probably eat into CTR sales and, really, would anybody buy a Civic Si anymore? 

The Civics are so different in terms of image. I imagine that a lot of CTR drivers wouldn't be caught dead in a Fit. 

captdownshift
5/8/18 10:11 a.m.

In reply to penultimeta :

The Fit being a small hatchback wouldn't likely eat into Civic Sport or Si sales too much. What it would provide (and eat into saleswise; if they're still available on the market) is Hyundai/Kia boost buggy sales, Minis, and those looking for Fiesta and Sonic replacements as both are being discontinued . The natural predator in the marketplace for the Fit is disappearing, with a void, particularly in the pointy end of the performance spectrum being left. If I were Honda I wouldn't develop an engine specifically for the platform, as it's a niche market, but it's a niche that's being left void of competition and they have the drivetrain option sitting at the ready in house AND it'd make for a better platform and option then any of the outgoing competition. Bring it to market in the 22-23k range, which should be both feasible and profitable. 

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
5/8/18 10:15 a.m.

I'm pretty sure the 1.5T in the Civic is just a variant of the L15 in the Fit, so this would likely be very easy for Honda to build.  

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
5/8/18 10:17 a.m.

Well, hopefully you all are right. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
5/8/18 10:18 a.m.

I really want this to happen, just not too soon. (Just bought a Fit sport) I would have the worst case of buyers remorse in human history.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/18 10:35 a.m.

The two things that knocked the Fit off our list were both about highway use. One was feeling like it didn't have anything left for acceleration at freeway cruise. This would fix that. The other was just that it is small and light enough to feel less relaxed and planted than even the Mini (which feels very BMW for its size). Maybe being less wrung out would make it feel better.

In any case, it would be fundamentally awesome. Hope they do it, and can do it with a price tag that reasonably reflects the nature of the changes rather than being a super-premium upgrade package with 30% MSRP bump...

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
5/8/18 10:47 a.m.

I have often said if there was a fast Fit, I'd have one. I just bought a Fiesta ST because of the small, 5-door, turbo, cheap quick fun cars, there's really no competition! If there was a Fit Si, I would have seriously considered one. I wonder what would have happened if I needed to change cars next year when all the Fiestas would be gone. I really don't know what I would end up with.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/18 11:57 a.m.

I don't think that Honda really listens to people who try to tell them how to make better Hondas.sad

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/8/18 12:09 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

The people at Hennessey Honda of Woodstock don't listen because they suck.

simplecat
simplecat Reader
5/8/18 3:35 p.m.

I'd seriously consider buying one.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
5/8/18 3:41 p.m.

Its a Honda.... the Lego of the automotive world. Just swap it. 

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/18 8:35 p.m.

In reply to TGMF :

I think for at least some of us, what this is supposed to be is the household-totally-not-a-project-I-swear-on-the-dog's-life-I'm-not-modifying-anything car. I can't even bring myself to put the Street-class legal rear sway bar on our Mini.

If I'm doing an engine swap, I'm doing it on something more exciting than a Fit. Probably.

captdownshift
5/8/18 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Normally I'd agree, but this package ticks all the right boxes, I'd so the swap, but not until donor car and swap caniadate are both under $5k. So it's be a decade. But if it was available new, with a warranty (that I'd void within 24 months of ownership) for $22-23k, I'd put my money where my mouth is on this one. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/10/18 5:59 p.m.

I doubt it’ll ever happen, and I think the current body is berkeleying hideous (no offense.) But K swaps seem to be pretty common in GD/GE’s nowadays.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/18 6:15 p.m.

I know hasport is working on a 1.5t swapped fit iirc, they have posted about it on one of the fit forums.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
5/10/18 8:01 p.m.

Buy Bspec Fit + swap it = profit?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gDbf264t8NIjdJClP08IkPDcPBDCOnZxfarekONsJwWfKDskkW2031STgVdqk2ec