Mel22
Mel22 New Reader
2/12/15 7:21 p.m.

I just acquired an 03 MINI with a large decal (Union Jack)covering the hood.I've known the car since my friends got it new and the decal has been there almost all that time,thus 11-12 years. It's peeling and needs to go. What is the best way to remove it?

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/12/15 7:31 p.m.

Hair dryer and fingernails. The heat will help you loosen it to peel it off in big chunks

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/12/15 7:59 p.m.

Plastic razor blades and 3m adhesive remover.

Ever wonder why, if fingernails are so good at scraping, nobody ever made a tool version so you wouldn't get crap jammed under your nails?

Plastic razor blades. Get a bunch.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
2/12/15 8:06 p.m.

I am using a heat gun and plastic razor blades on the wrecker I just bought. The decals have been on since 95 or so and goo gone type products had no effect.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/12/15 8:16 p.m.
Mike wrote: Plastic razor blades and 3m adhesive remover. Ever wonder why, if fingernails are so good at scraping, nobody ever made a tool version so you wouldn't get crap jammed under your nails? Plastic razor blades. Get a bunch.

Scraperite was located across the street from our old office. Neat idea that seems to work well.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
2/12/15 8:22 p.m.

Did not know plastic razor blades existed until just now. Good luck Mel22 that's a whole lotta decal..

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
2/13/15 4:14 a.m.

I literally just peeled a decal from my Vic with Goo-Gone Gel. It is the same I use for the old Sheriff stickers on the sides. Just let it sit for a few minutes and rub hard with a paper towel. Since you are working with actual decals and not just the adhesive, I'd suggest the plastic razor blade before sweeping over for the residual adhesive.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/13/15 5:17 a.m.

The auto auction guys here remove wraps and graphics with a steam cleaner.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
2/13/15 6:29 a.m.

WD40 to loosen up the adhesive. In comparison, (and maybe only in my experience) goo-gone is crap.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/13/15 7:07 a.m.

Heat gun and maybe a 3M stripe eraser. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Stripe-Wheel-Mandrel-Diameter/dp/B00063VT0G

BeardedJag
BeardedJag Reader
2/13/15 7:53 a.m.

Same as everyone else said, use heat. I just removed a bumper sticker that had been there since 02 off the VW I just bought. The colored sections peeled off no problem, but the white parts were where I had to keep using my finger nail. Wish I knew plastic blades existed.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/15 8:18 a.m.

Ugh...Trade hoods with somebody? Motor on!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/13/15 8:49 a.m.

Heat to peel off the vinyl and a d'limonene based adhesive remover to get the residue off.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
2/13/15 9:52 a.m.

Once removed you will have two tone paint that aged differently.

Just like "bra's" do.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/13/15 3:02 p.m.

I have had excellent luck with sticker remover aerosol available at Advance, Auto Zone, etc...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/14/15 9:44 a.m.
failboat wrote: WD40 to loosen up the adhesive. In comparison, (and maybe only in my experience) goo-gone is crap.

Goo gone is indeed crap. Penetrating oil works a lot better than WD40, too.

You will have to re-wax after you remove the decals. I have big unwaxed spots on the RX-7 after removing some old now-useless contingency stickers. I plan on fixing this with new paint That was supposed to happen this winter along with the new fenders that I've been hoarding, but I bought another car with the money instead. Stupid responsibility always getting in the way of a good time...

In other news, a rag soaked with ATF does a really good job of masking chalky clearcoat, with the side benefit of punishing people who lean on other peoples' cars.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/14/15 11:37 a.m.

I would follow up with a compound, polish and wax of the whole car. It won't make the paint match, but it will remove the surface contaminants that exacerbate the mismatch, and having a shiny car is nice.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
2/14/15 12:11 p.m.

Been using an old Wagner heat gun for years on decals, body molding, emblems, shrink wrap etc. Easy to find a heat range w/ hi/ lo and thumb wheel, crazy heat not required. Short learning curve and you'll know when to pull decal w/ o tearing while leaving least amount of adhesive. Once removed wipe away any residue w/ paint safe solvent, WD should work as well.

I imagine the new heat guns heat high enough to damage paint in a hurry, go lightly.

Like said follow w/ compound and polish.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
2/15/15 2:57 p.m.

Just went through this at work with a mini covered in a full roof decal. 3M stripe off wheel in a die grinder was the only thing which worked. It still took an hour and made a mess (the wheel turns into little rubber crumbles, think pencil eraser.) but it's much faster than scraping. The wheel did no damage to the paint. The job consumed three wheels.

I will check to see which exact product we used at the shop, it's similar to this: 3M Stripe Off Wheel 07498

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
2/15/15 3:17 p.m.

Get a can of 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner at any auto parts store. It's good stuff.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tFXuHUndjuD7CCgsIZwZNC2lu3n2VHWgQN8bjtOeVxbijSk4yxnPl47KSnxgi9U9