rocketrich
rocketrich New Reader
3/24/18 4:38 p.m.

Like many here, I DIY. 95% of my work is standard maintenance stuff : oil changes, rotate tires, brake pads/rotors/flush, coolant flush, trans fluid changes. 

I WAS thinking about getting a four post lift for the added benefit of fitting one more car in the garage in the winter. Problem is I'd still have to jack the car up from the four post lift for tire rotations and brake work. I'd also have to modify a garage door opener. So I'm thinking a simple scissor lift is the best overall DIY aid to make things easier and faster (and to keep me off the garage floor.)

So I'm leaning towards something like this Atlas:  http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Kwik-Bay-7-000-LB-Mid-Rise-Lift?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt92a7vOF2gIViAOGCh1MogU1EAYYAiABEgLWEfD_BwE

What does the hive have to add to this thought process? 

I like the fact that this one doesn't have rollers that roll on my garage floor like some others. Am I missing any important things to think about? 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
3/24/18 5:11 p.m.

I have used this type of lift over the years and they are great for quick work like brakes, tires, oil change, and most front end work. BUT, they are only good for certain types of cars and work.

Sounds like you have enough space for a twin post lift, they are the cats meow for all car service.

Paul

rocketrich
rocketrich New Reader
3/24/18 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Donebrokeit :

I hadn't really considered a two post because I'd have to (I'm pretty sure) dig out some garage floor and reinforce for the proper installation.  You do raise a good point. I need to go look at these to see how much that concrete reinforcement would set me back.  I imagine the posts could be a door opening problem though as I'd still want to park a car in that spot. Thanks - exactly the kind of input I was looking for!

Kramer
Kramer Dork
3/24/18 7:16 p.m.

My dad has a four post lift.  I begged him to buy a two post.  Instead, I bought him an air over hydraulic bottle jack.  It takes him about one minute to jack the car up from the lift and put it on stands, and it's easier to do when the car is a few feet in the air.  The lift runways make a great work surface.  Or a place to stand if you need to get under the hood for a minute.   He moves the lift in around his shop to use it in the most convenient spot.   I'm sold that a four post is best for hobby work.  

eastpark
eastpark Reader
3/25/18 9:07 a.m.
Kramer said:

My dad has a four post lift.  I begged him to buy a two post.  Instead, I bought him an air over hydraulic bottle jack.  It takes him about one minute to jack the car up from the lift and put it on stands, and it's easier to do when the car is a few feet in the air.  The lift runways make a great work surface.  Or a place to stand if you need to get under the hood for a minute.   He moves the lift in around his shop to use it in the most convenient spot.   I'm sold that a four post is best for hobby work.  

I haven't bought a lift yet, but a four post is what I feel is best, as my requirements are hobby related. Your comment helps reinforce my decision. Thanks!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/25/18 9:16 a.m.

We bought a 4 post years ago. Ive very rarely felt hindered by it. Ive do e every service imaginable with it, including removing a body from frame. Just requires some creativity sometimes. 

However, that is in my fathers shop. My shop doesnt have the space, and I'm going to go scissors myself.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
3/25/18 7:06 p.m.

My friend bought a 4 post from Costco. While it makes suspension work a little tougher, I really like how it brings the car up 6 inches for engine maintenance. I have always hated bending over an engine bay. And when you're doing suspension stuff you can lift the car up with the four post, slip 4 jackstands under it and then set the car back down on the stands. Super easy.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/25/18 8:48 p.m.

In reply to rocketrich :

I have this lift in the high rise version,love it.

Mine is recessed so its flat with the floor when down.

Specs allow it to be be a max of 31" between platforms so thats what mine is.

Ju st did a transmission swap in my miata and headers this weekend on my Titan.

Flat floor areo install will mean I need to get creative though.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
3/25/18 10:04 p.m.

Rocket, have you looked into a wall mount garage door motor?

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/garage-door-openers/elite-series/model-8500w

This might give you the overhead space you need if you still want to go with the four post.

Paul

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
3/26/18 2:23 a.m.

Don't many of the four-post lifts have an optional air jack that rolls on rails between the runways?  If you had that, you could easily do suspension work. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
3/26/18 2:24 a.m.

And, the four-post allows you do do work that needs the suspension to be loaded, like sway bar installation and bushing tightening. 

rocketrich
rocketrich New Reader
3/26/18 5:29 a.m.
snailmont5oh said:

And, the four-post allows you do do work that needs the suspension to be loaded, like sway bar installation and bushing tightening. 

snailmont5oh, I had totally forgotten about this! Thank you!  Ok, my mind is now officially back to four post, LOL.

Donebrokeit, I had heard of wall mount door openers, but was looking for the cheaper path by thinking about the scissors. That link has got to be the Rolls Royce of garage door openers!

Kramer, I also hadn't thought of using the four post to simplify access to lifting the car as you suggest.

buzzboy, I think a scissors lift would give me the same benefit.  I hadn't thought about using it to lift the car to stop bending over the engine though - that's a great idea!

Summary: You have all convinced me to go back to four post lift. It may cost more with the door modifications, but I will get much greater versatility AND additional storage for one car.

I knew you all had the info I was overlooking! Thanks! 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/26/18 6:05 a.m.

I like to use my scissor lift to lift a car a few inches any time I'm working under the hood. 

Personally I would have gone with a two post, but didn't have the space. I love my scissor lift. 

I have a Bend Pak MD something or other

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/26/18 6:28 a.m.

I am still watching this with interest..

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/26/18 6:57 a.m.

I have two scissor lifts and find them very useful. Both are the Bend Pak MD-6XP model. Not as good as a two-post, but I don't have room (height or width) for one. Like Dr Boost, I also use my lift for general under-hood work so I'm not bent over as much.  It's also great for interior and under-dash work for similar reasons.  I like having a portable lift so I can roll one into my driveway to work on something that doesn't fit well in my 1-bay garage - like my minivan.

The big downside of a two-post in most residential applications is their size - they're wide SOB's and will usually take up way more space than a typical residential garage bay. Plus, if the garage is primarily used as, well - a garage - then those two posts can become a nuisance during the 95% of the time you are NOT using the lift.  One reason why the Max-Jack portable two-post may be a nice compromise - while it doesn't lift high enough to stand under, when you don't need the lift, one or both posts can be unbolted and moved out of the way.

All lift designs have compromises - which is why there are so many different types.  It depends on what compromises you can or need to live with for your situation.  In a perfect world, I'd have at least one of each in separate work bays since they all have tasks they're better at than others.

Scratch that - in a "perfect" world I've have a bank of two-post, in-ground lifts. 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/26/18 11:44 a.m.
Ian F said:

Scratch that - in a "perfect" world I've have a bank of two-post, in-ground lifts. 

You need one 4-post as well, for doing alignments. :)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/26/18 12:29 p.m.

In reply to codrus :

Well, if I'm dreaming big (it doesn't cost any more), I'll just get a proper alignment lift. devil

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
paQHh86XJ5lSxkRRycUiVJLhmk1Tv850glhLJTW5aiKFSnKD1niBVNqReNoJd4fY