Cloud9...68
Cloud9...68 New Reader
4/23/18 12:01 a.m.

I enjoyed the description of the DIY string alignment system in the current (5/2018, pages 130 - 131) issue of GRM, but I was wondering if someone could provide a few more details.  Specifically, I'm not seeing how to independently adjust the right and left side string height (in case the mounting points on the bodywork aren't perfectly level with the ground, which I would think is pretty likely).  Also, could someone provide the details as to the components that were purchased from 80/20, Inc. to put the assembly together?  Thanks.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/23/18 12:12 a.m.

I haven't read the article yet, but the video might clarify a few things for you (at least on the 80/20 inc part):

Good luck!

freetors
freetors Reader
4/23/18 7:47 a.m.

While the sting-on-car method shown in the video could be nice and repeatable, I have mine hung off of steel conduit that are attached to scaffold Jack's bolted to some old brake rotors. They are much more stable and solid than jackstands and conduit.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/23/18 4:47 p.m.

Here's a link to 80/20s ebay page:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/8020inc/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I used a bunch of 1" square aluminum and their quick frame connectors:

https://8020.net/catalog/category/view/s/shop/id/837/?cat=705

Cloud9...68
Cloud9...68 New Reader
4/24/18 11:49 p.m.

Thanks for the link to the video, Hungary Bill (are you actually Hungarian?  My parents emigrated to the U.S. from Hungary in 1956, and I still speak the language, although far from fluently anymore.  Budapest is a beautiful city) - it answered several of my questions.  And thanks, JG, for the links to 80/20.  I still have a question or two, though.  I'm sure my 26-year-old Porsche 968's plastic bumper covers have deformed a bit over the years, so I doubt all four corners of the rig I would put together from aluminum tubing would be equidistant from the ground, so I was wondering what you would suggest as a means to independently set the heights at the corners so that the string will pass through the centers of all four wheels?  Or is it really not critical enough to worry about getting it absolutely perfect?   It looks like the rig you built does allow the strings to go right through the centers of you Corvette's wheels - did you achieve that simply by carefully measuring the lengths of the aluminum tubing?  Thanks again - great stuff.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/25/18 1:02 a.m.

Cloud9:  No, I'm not Hungarian.  I was living in Hungary when I signed up to the forums back in 2009.  I lived in a beautiful, small, town called "Papa" in Veszperem megye for about 4 years and absolutely loved it.  I hope to go back one day (I do speak a little Hungarian.  Just enough to make basic conversation es a rossz szavak).

These days I find myself in Kuwait.  And, wouldn't you know?  I work with three Hungarians!  So in the spirit of Monty Python, I give you:

A legparnas hajom tele van angolnaval wink

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rervqgAmEtbR8PSqDcCoLao1rwkxi2UZIo6ynwzIWXvbtIMTDeNAcIRs4dS33JnL