NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
9/13/19 1:10 p.m.

It's time to change front brakes (and possible back) on my 99 jeep Cherokee. 

They are squealing and groaning, not being very effective. I think I've overcooked them. They are specially bad after the last Gambler. 

Any brand preferences for middle of the road pads and rotors? maybe shoes and drums once I open it up. 

I was surprised to find this set of pads and rotors for $77 by Detroit axle. 

Detroit axle brakes

I know about their axles but didn't know about their brakes. 

Drilled and slotted rotors plus ceramic pads for that price seems like a deal and probably same quality as autozone etc.

The jeep does not get driven in anger but gets beat up some. 

It's an occasional driver (3rd vehicle), moves and launches at the ramp my 22' sailboat at the marina. Do some off road with it plus a couple Gamblers, intend to do more. 

Want something effective that won't turn to mush after a long day driving or with the boat behind, even if for a short drive. However not want to put too much money into it.

Thanks in advance. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/13/19 1:27 p.m.

They held up for a track day on the Tib and the last 20k miles on the wife’s forte. I’d recommend absolutely. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/19 1:28 p.m.

Haven't heard anything about them, but I would actually avoid the drilled rotors - not just for the usual possibility of cracking, but because with an offroad vehicle they could pick up pebbles too. Slotted isn't a bad idea.

I'd recommend EBC Redstuff for this kind of use, if you want to spend less maybe Axxis ULT, although they can be noisy. Sounds like the hardest use these see is towing, regular street brakes are generally fine for offroading in production-based vehicles.

Edit: I just checked and it turns out Redstuff isn't made for SUVs, for that use you should use Greenstuff on the lighter side, or Yellowstuff on the more serious side - Yellowstuff is a very bitey pad often used as a streetable track pad and it eats rotors faster than most, so maybe Greenstuff would be a better choice.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
9/13/19 1:33 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Good to know. Thank you. 

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
9/13/19 1:37 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I was wondering about the drilling and even the slots picking up gravel and sludge. The off road park is an old quarry with very gritty limestone water. 

Would prefer flat but these are a good deal. 

Don't mind spending a little more however. 

Thank you. 

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
9/13/19 2:15 p.m.

Also available without drilling and slots.

Detroit axle non drilled brakes

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/13/19 2:23 p.m.

I just e-mailed them about an Amazon hub.  Hopefully I can add some feedback about their customer service which might indicate how good a company they are.

I have seen them interact with a forum before about where their stuff is manufactured.

It seems they own one factory in China and trust the other one they use from that forum chat.

Their prices seem very good indeed. smiley

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
9/14/19 8:56 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Thank you for looking into it.

From EBC's site I can only get greenstuff 6000 or 7000 which is a less dust version.

I like the pads description, would like a bit more braking performance since xj's are lacking in general. 

Of course, the ebc pads are $66, while Detroit axles pads and rotors are $69.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
37uy4m2QebW5MXVkqL8z8i05euRWRiK8mGQnMievAzDjySrVil4xQOqCQ3Ypq8Fe