HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
11/30/14 7:58 p.m.

That is the actual BMW product, not the GRM obscenity filter substitute.

I need a crash course in M3 of the E36 chassis type.

A friend offered his '95 E36 M3 for sale at a very challenge friendly price. It hasn't run in a few years, but there is nothing major known to be wrong with it. The vanos mechanism doesn't work, the oil filter housing leaks oil, and the battery is beyond dead. I can handle all that.

It was never tracked, and is mostly stock.

I told him I can't afford it now, but if it's still around in the spring, I'll be all over it! I know that he would prefer to sell to me.

I'm thinking that this could be the GRM $20xx challenge upper-mid-pack finisher easy button. ( The SAAB project that I've been working on since forever would be the lower- mid-pack finishing not easy button)

I'm excited, I've always liked M3s, but never thought that I'd actually have a chance to own one!

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/30/14 9:12 p.m.

In reply to HappyAndy:

A new VANOS is $650 and a rebuilt one is $250(plus a $100 core charge), the VANOS solenoid is $350, oil line and seal is $50, Vanos gasket is $30, and dont forget valvecover gaskets at $15ish+. Is it still in Challenge budget now?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
11/30/14 11:05 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to HappyAndy: A new VANOS is $650 and a rebuilt one is $250(plus a $100 core charge), the VANOS solenoid is $350, oil line and seal is $50, Vanos gasket is $30, and dont forget valvecover gaskets at $15ish+. Is it still in Challenge budget now?

Listen Smarty, who said anything about buying a new vanos. Hydraulics are my business, I ain't scared of no vanos solenoid rebuild. Replacing the leaky piston seals would be the easiest part of that whole job. So, repair kit from Besan, some gaskets, and rent the special tools. (And, if possible, make copies of the tools while I have them too ). Probably under $200, and tool rental cost wouldn't be in the challenge budget .

In fact, a vanos R/R would be a day at the beach compared the Mercedes heater core job that I did over the weekend.

Also the leaky oil filter housing can be fixed with a $4 gasket and $2.50 worth of O-rings, I've fixed 2 of them on e34s already. Anyone that buys a whole new $300 filter housing, or $650 vanos solenoid is a sucker, and not GRM challenge material.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/30/14 11:38 p.m.

Get it, an M3 for under 2K is an excellent idea if it runs.

Very few things to make it faster for cheap. Spend the rest on tires and see how she does.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
11/30/14 11:42 p.m.

I still think the buyers guides would be the ultimate edition to the main website. Even if it was a subscribers only area it would be one of the most helpful things on the site, which is saying a lot.

Sorry I don't have anything to add to a E36 M3 search....

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
12/1/14 6:08 a.m.

It's not as bad as the e46 but check the rear subframe bushings and mounting area's for damage.

Would love to find one myself for that price, good luck if you get it!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/1/14 8:37 a.m.

If you decide against it I would be interested. I am looking for a 95 M3 for stock class rallycross.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/1/14 12:20 p.m.

Doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
12/1/14 12:28 p.m.

Honest show of hands, how many people in here would actually type out "e36m3" instead of using the word filter and typing E36 M3?

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/1/14 12:50 p.m.

I think the only thing I've heard about those early M3s is that they have oil starvation issues on track, but you can get a different oil pan setup to fix that. Dead simple to work on overall.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
12/1/14 5:42 p.m.
The0retical wrote: I still think the buyers guides would be the ultimate edition to the main website. Even if it was a subscribers only area it would be one of the most helpful things on the site, which is saying a lot. Sorry I don't have anything to add to a E36 M3 search....

All the Buyer's Guides on the website would be EXCELLENT.

yamaha wrote: Honest show of hands, how many people in here would actually type out "e36m3" instead of using the word filter and typing E36 M3?

lazy man's hotkey?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MWkupmfUigRkZn1j7tFw5MJke9T0xGBIQpGfMixDAVx29CQsTYwEGqxgyyItYkOm