02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
6/13/14 1:27 p.m.

I spent yesterday up at Lime Rock Park doing the Skip Barber One-Day Racing School. I thought there might be some interest in a little synopsis of the curriculum and review of the school.

This particular program was conducted solely in the formula cars; the usual racing program, as I understand it, switches between the formula car and a spec Miata. I preferred being able to focus on learning one chassis for the entire day.

The formula car is Skip Barber-specific, but is similar to a formula Ford. It puts out around 135hp through a 5-speed sequential box. It was set up fairly soft for a race chassis, and we ran on BFG street tires.

There were four instructors plus an instructor trainee. All had racing backgrounds, and with the exception of the young trainee, these were extensive and varied.

The day started with about 90 minutes of classroom time. We talked about basic vehicle dynamics, front-drive vs. rear-drive, dry and wet lines, and finally a run-through of the Lime Rock track corner by corner. Much of this was fairly basic stuff for someone with a motorsports background, but given that most of the students had none, it was obviously necessary.

The 16 or so students were divided into two groups; these groups would alternate between driving and observing. The first several sessions are conducted as lead-follow drives, wherein three instructors go out in lead cars (Mazda 3s), followed by two or three students in formula cars. The lead car runs the correct line and the students attempt to follow it. These are also familiarization runs, as the experience of driving the open formula car is quite different from any street car. When not driving in these initial runs, students ride in the instructor cars, watching the line and getting tips about how to correctly drive the course.

After the three lead-follow sessions, we moved on to lapping on our own. A "stop-box" was set up on the front straight; students would be directed to the left side and held long enough to ensure gaps between cars on-track, or to the right side if one or more of the instructors had comments to relay. The instructors moved out to various points around the track with radios, and would call in when they saw something that needed to be addressed.

These latter sessions were naturally faster, as everyone was getting more familiar with the cars at this point. We had some light rain in the morning, but the track dried out after lunch, so that saw speeds inch up as well.

After two of the lapping sessions the day was done. We had a brief graduation ceremony and then were on our way. Nobody crashed, but there were some spins, and one car inexplicably lost a left rear wheel in Big Bend.

The drive home felt very slow and very quiet.

The racing school is a good program. The learning curve, especially in a formula car, is pretty steep, but the success of most students in coming to grips with it suggests the instructors and the curriculum are doing their jobs.

A couple of mild criticisms regarding the instruction. The instructors were all excellent race drivers, but their quality of instruction varied. The lead instructor in particular was very professional; some of the others seemed a bit bored and disengaged with the process (I teach for a living, so I'm basing this on my own classroom experience). The ratio of students to instructors was also a bit high, the net result being that the instructors spent the vast bulk of their time working with the struggling students, while those who were progressing received relatively little and generally vague feedback.

There are a couple of administrative complaints as well. Communication in advance of the school regarding basic information (when to show up, what to bring, etc.) was non-existent. I had to call to get the info I needed. When I arrived, I was presented with a heretofore unmentioned choice to either buy one-day insurance that, for $250, would cap my liability at $4,000, or to accept full unlimited liability for any damage I caused. Some mention of this prior to the morning of the event would have been nice, given that it constitutes a roughly 20% premium on the cost of the school.

It's a really fun day, and certainly an eye-opener for someone who hasn't driven that sort of car before. It definitely makes you think about signing up for another school (not to miss a marketing opportunity, they offer you a 20% discount if you sign up at the end of the day). For anyone who wants a taste of the track, it's a good choice, but drivers with lots of track time would probably do better with the three day school, which focuses more on race-specific techniques.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
6/13/14 2:12 p.m.

Great feedback, thanks for sharing.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
6/13/14 2:52 p.m.

Same, nice feedback. Too bad they didn't discuss the insurance ahead of time. That should be part of the checkout process when you pay.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
6/13/14 6:25 p.m.

have you given them this feed back ? seems like something they might want to be made aware of

plance1
plance1 Dork
6/13/14 7:58 p.m.

thanks for posting this

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
6/13/14 8:24 p.m.

I hadn't thought about sending it to Skip Barber, but it was a good idea, so I forwarded the review portion of the above (edited slightly for clarity).

Glad others have found it useful.

EDT
EDT New Reader
6/14/14 12:40 a.m.

I have recently done both their 3 day and 2 day formula schools at NOLA Motorsports Park, and the curriculum is largely the same.

The 3 day school had more time in the classroom and the first day was devoted to learning how the car handled on a small autocross course as well as a number of braking exercises. The next two days were mostly stop box sessions with an increasing rev-limit, with the last couple sessions of the third day being open lapping.

The 2 day school had a short classroom session followed by a couple stop box runs. After lunch on the first day and the whole second day was open lapping, with the instructors in the cars with you out on the track.

The 2 day offers the most track time for your money and in my opinion was the most fun. Because of my great experiences in the two schools and my success I was invited to the Karts to Cars shootout in October at Sebring. Without having done the schools I don't think I would have ever realized my true potential.

Almost all of the instructors are as nice as can be and know what they are talking about, and I feel that I have learned more in my 5 days of racing the formula cars than I have in anything else previously.

I do agree that communication is often lacking, but a call often clears up most concerns. Also, I highly recommend the insurance for the 2 day advanced school or anything higher as you have to pay for damage to the car no matter who is at fault, so do you really trust everyone else on track with you?

spear322
spear322 New Reader
6/14/14 5:45 a.m.

Great review, I have been wanting to go to one of the driving schools and still am trying to decided which one.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
6/14/14 6:49 a.m.
02Pilot wrote: one car inexplicably lost a left rear wheel in Big Bend.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's back up just a minute and talk more about this

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
6/14/14 7:03 a.m.
calteg wrote:
02Pilot wrote: one car inexplicably lost a left rear wheel in Big Bend.
Whoa whoa whoa, let's back up just a minute and talk more about this

I don't have any more information. We were doing lead-follow laps, and when we came into Turn 1, there was one of the cars sitting on the inside curbing with no left rear wheel. No other damage that I could see, and from what I heard on the radio, it was not caused by any action the driver took. As expected, none of the instructors talked further about this. Personally, I did a visual inspection of all the lug nuts on my car immediately following. This is when I discovered that the front tires on my car were mounted backwards.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/14/14 8:23 a.m.

Great review!!

02Pilot wrote: This is when I discovered that the front tires on my car were mounted backwards.

Did you bring this up and did they do anything about it? Its troubling that a well known school like Barber does not check on their mechanics work.

From what I heard you definitely want to buy the insurance.

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
6/14/14 8:30 a.m.
Slippery wrote: Great review!!
02Pilot wrote: This is when I discovered that the front tires on my car were mounted backwards.
Did you bring this up and did they do anything about it? Its troubling that a well known school like Barber does not check on their mechanics work. From what I heard you definitely want to buy the insurance.

Yes, I mentioned the tires to the lead instructor and one of the mechanics.

When they told me about the insurance, I asked about how the sessions would be run so I'd have some idea of whether or not I needed to be concerned about somebody else taking me out. When it seemed that this was a very low probability event, I opted not to take it. Not to say I couldn't screw up myself, but many years of autox gave me reasonable confidence in my ability to stay within my limits. Of course, I did question that decision when the rain started and a car spun right in front of me in the chicane.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B3w65kfwhd18rxNoChWU51bfsMSr2QPlnyHOCjPiFSjqUrqcu1IEkBa9GaP6TU8n