1 2
Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
8/11/11 2:58 p.m.

I have been wondering for a while witch is better in the long run, a diesel or a hybrid car? I do about 50/50 highway and city. For the most part I think diesel would be better far as maintenance cost. Besides the Volkswagen TDI and Mercedes Benz line what other diesel are here state side?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/11/11 3:05 p.m.

There's the BMW 335d.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
8/11/11 3:10 p.m.

There's a new BMW diesel stateside. Not the most affordable, the 335D gets 36mpg and costs $44k.

My '00 TDI has 274k and is going strong. That said, I've seen alot for sale with blown engines. I don't know if people are not changing the oil, running gasoline, over revving them, or slacking with timing belt changes. I get a consistent 47-49 mpg in the summer, mostly highway though.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
8/11/11 3:16 p.m.
ransom wrote: There's the BMW 335d.

Damnit, I had it typed but forgot to hit "add post."

I don't know of any new other diesels here right now.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
8/11/11 3:23 p.m.

My 2007 Prius (yes, I admit having a Prius) averages around 50 most of the time with no effort. A little effort on this tank has us averaging 58 mpg so far on this tank after about 200 miles.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
8/11/11 3:26 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: My 2007 Prius (yes, I admit having a Prius) averages around 50 most of the time with no effort. A little effort on this tank has us averaging 58 mpg so far on this tank after about 200 miles.

What's the city/highway mix? From what I hear (haven't owned one) hybrids become the average car when driven on the highway. I'd say if it's a 50/50 mix, a diesel would be a better bet. Buy an older diesel and run veggie oil. I think there's someone on the board here that does that

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
8/11/11 5:45 p.m.

The just-about-here new Passat (made in the USA) will be available with a diesel. IIRC, Lesley said she liked it & it was notably quiet inside, which makes commuting better.

slowride
slowride New Reader
8/11/11 7:44 p.m.

Supposedly there will be a diesel Cruze coming soon. Also a Mazda SkyActiv-D(diesel), but I don't know what cars that will be available on.

corytate
corytate Reader
8/11/11 8:16 p.m.

new merc diesels are waaaaaay quieter
tdi's go forever from what I've seen
you could get an old 240d or other old volvo and run veggie oil as suggested above
you could get a cruze! they are very nice surprisingly. and you can get an unbelievable amount of miles from one tank.

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
8/11/11 8:40 p.m.

What is the life span of the battery's, how much would it cost to dispose of them? That is my big hang up with hybrids

Jeff
Jeff Dork
8/11/11 10:23 p.m.

Diesel.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/11/11 10:27 p.m.

Said it before and I'll say it again, Hyundai Elantra 2011 getting 40+ mpg AVERAGE every tank, all gas baby.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
8/11/11 10:56 p.m.

It's around 50 mpg highway. Hard to make use of the hybrid drive on the highway but you can do it.In reply to DrBoost:

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
8/11/11 11:10 p.m.

I once figured out if I bought a Prius to replace my 20 mpg truck, it would take 20 years to break even on paying it off solely on fuel usage. While not the whole picture for car ownership, it did drive home the point that buying a new car solely for better mileage is often times completely false economy.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
8/12/11 3:06 a.m.

which is why people should be talking about USED hybrids, not NEW hybrids.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
8/12/11 7:33 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Said it before and I'll say it again, Hyundai Elantra 2011 getting 40+ mpg AVERAGE every tank, all gas baby.

I'm highly considering this. 6spd and 40mpg. seats 5 in a pinch

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro New Reader
8/12/11 8:23 a.m.

I would take a diesel over a hybrid any day. No heavy battery packs to carry and less to fix down the road (no hybrid system to break down.

joepaluch
joepaluch Reader
8/12/11 10:14 a.m.

I perfer diesel. I tend to drive my cars alot and keep them of for a while. My newest car is 2003 with 115k on it. I worry about old high mile hybids. Alot more electrial stuff to fail and stuff that I probably cannot fix at home. Diesels are just regular cars.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
8/12/11 10:22 a.m.

I've seen a number of original Honda Insights on the road. They're 13 years old now.

Not that I don't like diesels. I love diesels but refuse to buy a VW product.

Hal
Hal Dork
8/12/11 10:24 a.m.

I would pick neither. Not because I don't like them, but because of the added cost. With either you pay a premium over a standard gasoline vehicle. And around here you pay an extra premium for fuel with the diesel. Diesel fuel here is running 10 cents/gallon more than the 93 octane I run in the Focus.

As much as I would like to have a diesel I can't make the economics of it work. If I was still working and commuting a long distance(which I never did) it might work out. Also with regular gasoline cars approaching or exceeding the 40 mpg mark now I don't see where either is cost effective for me.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/12/11 12:44 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: Said it before and I'll say it again, Hyundai Elantra 2011 getting 40+ mpg AVERAGE every tank, all gas baby.
I'm highly considering this. 6spd and 40mpg. seats 5 in a pinch

Actually best head and legroom in class, EPA actually labelled it a midsize based on this, 40" high, my 6'3" son fits easily and three across is not an issue unless they are very big people.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
8/12/11 2:23 p.m.

Diesel

Vigo
Vigo Dork
8/12/11 10:31 p.m.
I worry about old high mile hybids.

My dd hybRid has 316k on it. I dont worry about it.

With either you pay a premium over a standard gasoline vehicle.

You mean over a standard gasoline vehicle that gets 50 mpg? I bought my 50mpg hybrid for $3800. Cant really think of any comparable gas-only vehicles to compare to, at least that were sold in this country..

Vigo
Vigo Dork
8/13/11 2:31 a.m.

Im rereading this and im still wondering where people are getting this idea of hybrid parts breaking.

I love diesels but refuse to buy a VW product.

At least that refers to a REAL reputation and not one people just made up (hybrids "down the road" going to break?).

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
8/13/11 7:53 a.m.

The battery issue with hybrids doesn't concern me. Auto batteries currently have one of the highest recycling rates. There are simply too many expensive materials in hybrid batteries to believe many will end up in the trash. Toyota has always been extremely conservative with the life span of the battery pack and it seems at this point they don't seem to have a life span any less than the average gas engine.

I have a TDi I bought new. The payback may or may not ever really happen, but that's not always why you buy a car. I got lucky and my car has been exceptionally reliable for the past 8+ years and 258+k miles. I've done regular maintenance and little else. Even common VW issues have been 'normal' IMHO. One MAF sensor and one set of front wheel bearings - both arguably wear items on a TDi.

Basically, the car is a comfortable appliance that does my 100+ mile daily commute without complaint. I've been recently doing a lot of driving for work and the 51 cents I get paid for is quite profitable compared the actual 12 cents the car costs me in fuel, maintenance (all DIY) and insurance. I have no plans to replace it as there is nothing available that will haul as much stuff and get high 40's mpg doing it (roughly 50/50 mix).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MJayQVwYnBeZYvPUPEGp14Rjo5Zhld3Tabpp7ITYIZJgUVbJ36ZvfAh1NAoZ9wCS