problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
5/21/09 5:30 a.m.

Hey guys,

While at the Jalopy Showdown i saw a rat-rod that was basically an old ford(?) body tacked onto some roundy-round chassis. It gave me evil thoughts.

The question i have is what search terms should i use to find a chassis that is not "offset" and would be ideal for a street driven hot rod? Also, what are the best classifieds sites for cheap/abused/unwanted dirt/pavement car parts

THe #36 car pictured is the car in question. Best i could find on short notice (stupid me, forgot my camera).

Looking at it again, this may only use the back half of a race chassis as the front end appears to be a straight axle setup. The chassis at the rear was modern race stuff with the cage and jacking points and modern fabrication. i.e. its not some vintage race chassis

minimac
minimac Dork
5/21/09 7:01 a.m.

Back in the early 80s, it was common to do just the opposite. Buy an "old" straight up chassis and cage(such as a Troyer or Dillon), then weld a camaro/firebird front clip on with a 8"-10" offset.We did it three times and one of the cars we built is still running, twentysome years later There's no reason why you can't do the opposite. .There's a '02 Bicknell chassis for sale on CL here for $500. There's also the huge annual racers auction in November at the fairgrounds in Syracuse. Also, a lot of the "StreetStock" cars run on the classic chevelle frame. Oft times these cars can be had on the cheap, way under $500 without an engine. As far as "classic chassis" vs. "modern fabrication", you'd be surprised at how little change there has been over the last twenty years. The Gator Racing News, a weekly available at the tracks, has a decent ad section. place an ad and you'll be swamped with calls.

iceracer
iceracer Reader
5/21/09 11:22 a.m.

The IMCA style cars are not offset. They use a GM style front section.

sindersblue
sindersblue New Reader
5/25/09 5:09 p.m.
iceracer wrote: The IMCA style cars are not offset. They use a GM style front section.

X2. If they are metric GM (most are) there are a few suspention/brake upgrades for it too.

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
5/26/09 7:45 a.m.

Here is a good place to waste a few hours browseing:

racin' junk

WLB
WLB New Reader
5/26/09 8:13 a.m.

I had a Troyer east coast Modified (similiar to NASCAR Featherlite) and every time I looked at that car I could see a Chevette body mounted on a similiar non offset chassis. http://wlbsite.com

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E068fV9jRz6UeUriklnN8GrhZYjsKeQd2ZFdJPHfoGYt7axsjqAC1Z46UICALy6p