twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/25/08 9:09 p.m.

ON

OK, continued disassmbly of the Locot Miata suspension the last week. Soaking it w/ PB Blaster to hopefully loosed the nust on the rear suspension. So far I have been unsuccessful, managing to shorten two bolts . So now I have bolts rusted in steel bushing sleeves. Do I just continue to soak, or?

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/08 1:29 a.m.

Probably need to heat the outside of the bushing/bolt then hit the bolt with some freeze spray (careful) or just some ice water. The heat will expand the metal, the cold will cause it to shrink (shrinkage!) This should break the rust layer loose. You may have to do this a few times and might find that adding a little percussion with something roughly hammer might just persuade the offending items off the car.

Be careful and good luck!

Jack
Jack SuperDork
5/27/08 10:53 a.m.

Warm the bolt/nusts as best as you can. Not hot enough to burn your finger but good and warm. Make sure the are warmed thoroughly, not just on the end. Then soak (I prefer Kroil). do this a few times a week for two weeks and it'll let go nicely. The heating lets the rust dissolving penetrant get drawn further into the threads. I don't know if PB dissolves rust, but I have had great sucess with Kroil, removing nuts/bolts put on in Coventry, England 40+ years before I removed them.

Jack TR's 3 & 8

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/08 11:59 a.m.

Kroil is king, but hard to find.

PB will release rust very well but takes a while to get the process completed on blind bolts.

I have found that using the hot wrench as well as CRC FreezeOff (while the bolt/nut is warm) as well as soaking with Kroil or PB.

Good Luck Greg.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/27/08 12:12 p.m.

I've been looking for Kroil and have never seen it around, I've just heard of it on the 'net. For you guys that use it, where do you get it? I've seen the CRC FreezeOff stuff but I haven't had any really troublesome bolts since I first saw it. I would say that not getting to try new products for meddlesome bolts is a great problem to have, man I love living on the west coast again! :)

Bryce

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sWGbfrUzXCtAGH7jOYKiBmrpHcbs25oSD8FumZ6InsmabFAo0A0nrPjsJWi7NVki