ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/23/15 4:58 p.m.

Ok, I am done banging my head against the wall with my old standalone, and I am thinking about MS3 or MS3 Pro. Engine is a built normally-aspirated, ITB'd Toyota 4A-GE currently running an FJO 341B with a cam angle sensor in place if the distributor, FJO waste spark ignition with two GM-based coils, sequential injection, and FJO wideband.

I want to reuse as much hardware as I can. I have a 60-2 trigger wheel, VR crank and cam position sensors, GM MAP sensor, Toyota TPS, GM coolant temp, air intake temp, oil temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure sensors, Jeep AIC valve, and RC engineering low-impedance Bosch-style injectors.

My wideband oxygen sensor is FJO, and I will have to ditch my FJO fuel injector driver and FJO ignition module as they are both mystery proprietary black boxes. It remains to be seen if I reuse my GM ignition coils with a new ign module, or get something altogether new.

Cooling fan and fuel pump could be run by the ECU or by separate switches/relays/sensors still in the car.

I am not going to solder together my own.

I don't really need all the features of the Pro, but my current ECU uses AMPseal connectors and an external GM MAP, so it might just take some repinning if my existing harness, which is a huge benefit!

Then again, the MS3 assembled should do everything I need and is quite a bit more affordable.

Thoughts? Words of wisdom or voices of experience?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
5/23/15 5:52 p.m.

I have run my 4AGE/GSXR-ITB/EDIS on both MSI and MSII. I think the MSII is a much more smoother/refined unit, or it could just be I've missed a key setting somewhere. MSIII might be that much awesomer, but I am perfectly happy with MSII.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/23/15 6:42 p.m.

MS2 should be able to do it, but MS3X would allow you sequential injection (may be a good idea with ITBs, prevent or minimize standoff related issues) and MS3Pro has that plus the ability to mount the box underhood.

No soldering really required, you can buy fully assembled units from DIYAutotune (plug)

Raze
Raze UltraDork
5/23/15 7:02 p.m.

Any MS...we are still running MSIv3 with MSExtra and its plenty refined...only issue was the ignition fly back circuit mod, I'm assuming this was all sorted in MS2 or MS3

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
5/24/15 6:02 a.m.

I have done a few ms3 pro setups to convert from Tec or 034 and repinning to pro makes the conversion quite easy. The only thing Pro can't directly deal with is the low z injectors. I would ditch them for more modern units, but if you are married to them an assembed ms3/3x can drive them off the mainboard fuel outputs (no sequential). Or you can add a resistor box and run 3/3x or pro on sequential.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
5/24/15 9:48 a.m.

Hint- a computer shop, or the family nerd, can usually solder your board together for cheap. Ms1v3 does a lot for what you have. It's 169$ unassembled. MsPnP is 800$ for my 22re (which shares the same 3 pin denso connector you have, and its the same board built for running VAST)

If you're gonna diy, then DIY!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/24/15 10:32 a.m.

I've had well-built Megasquirts (my now sadly deceased 1.01 box) and crappily built Megasquirts (my 3.0 box). The crappy one worked okay, then didn't, then became temperature sensitive, then I threw it out and just bought a 3.57 box and paid someone else to modify it for me. I'm better at making money at work than I am at soldering together a circuit board, and I'd rather use the skills I have to trade to someone who is proven to know what they are doing, because in the end, i just want to drive the car and not have to berk with it.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
5/24/15 11:28 a.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

Now the computer shops are dying out, the new hot ticket is cell phone repair places. I used to work at one and they are more accustomed working on really tiny electronics. We were all car nerds and there was random ecu repairs going on all the time

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
5/26/15 11:58 a.m.

Either a regular MS3 or MS3-Pro can run this one. As others have noted, the sequential outputs are set up for high impedance injectors, but you could use injector resistors with many low impedance units.

What sort of GM coils are these?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C0eQAX2WaVQuqYu8EQRsQV6dU3MKOlzQOEXjOrbNGb5rbfcpYabfGHzlAdpaJ3Pj