1 2 3 4
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/22/20 6:21 p.m.

BTW...

Spiked high heels are why vinyl flooring companies won’t warranty their product unless a special void-free underlayment is used. Even if you use plywood with a nice surface, it can’t stand up to the pressure from high heels if it has even a slight void in the laminations. 

Yes, I’ve done the math. Don’t tell my wife!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/22/20 8:02 p.m.

We had new vct put in a salon space years ago and it's amazing what the spike heels do to a vinyl tile. After four or five years the tile looked like a golf ball. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/20 8:29 p.m.

I can appreciate that funds may be tight and that your time is effectively free, but for what you had to lay out for materials and the time that it must have taken to plan this thing out and put it together, you'd have to think that you're coming close to the cost of the cheapest of the imported four post lifts. Even any of the ones where everybody says, "You should have spent a little more and gotten a BendPack..." have got to be safer and more useful than what you've built.

This is just a bad, bad idea.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/20 10:40 p.m.
SVreX said:

BTW...

Spiked high heels are why vinyl flooring companies won’t warranty their product unless a special void-free underlayment is used. Even if you use plywood with a nice surface, it can’t stand up to the pressure from high heels if it has even a slight void in the laminations. 

Yes, I’ve done the math. Don’t tell my wife!

There is a reason that Airline Stewardesses do not wear heels. Even at 100 and some pounds, they can exert a tremendous amount of pressure on a tiny heel, enough to dent the floor of an airplane

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
2/22/20 11:26 p.m.
SVreX said:

Nimble: interesting design on the pivoting ramps!

Thanks!   That was really the only thing of interest in the whole thread..from my perspective.

The joists are 12ft, which of course it why the calculations are for 12ft spans.  ;)

The point loading thing works both ways, with the car at the edge, two tires are right above the posts and so don't put a load on the beams/joists.  

Perhaps you might see if you can hold up your car with a pair of 12ft long 2x6 on each axle.  Please try it and post the video/results.

Oh, let me add, there is about $600 of material in this platform and took me about 1 day to build.

It holds two cars in the 13ft space, plus whatever else I throw up there on the platform, as the tercel is not 16ft long, I've already shoved junk under it too.

What does TWO four post lifts cost?  Looks like $2,000 each.    What they do offer is it is NOT dangerous to raise and lower the car.   If history shows anything, it is that this Tercel will just sit there for another 4 years!  lol

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/23/20 1:10 a.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

What does TWO four post lifts cost?  Looks like $2,000 each. 

FWIW, you can get double-width 4-post lifts for parking.  They're more expensive than single-width ones, but not twice as much.

Eurotrash_Ranch
Eurotrash_Ranch New Reader
2/23/20 1:43 a.m.

If the joists run side to side, laying 2x6's flat on top of the OSB (perpendicular to the joists) and parking the vehicles on top of them would up the saftey margin of the decking/framing significantly. (Assuming the other improvements (through-bolting the rim to structual framing of the building walls, additional diagonal bracing, etc) have already been done.) This would prevent OSB sagging if tires land between the joists, and help disappate point loading.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/20 8:26 a.m.
nimblemotorsports said:
SVreX said:

Nimble: interesting design on the pivoting ramps!

Thanks!   That was really the only thing of interest in the whole thread..from my perspective.

The joists are 12ft, which of course it why the calculations are for 12ft spans.  ;)

The point loading thing works both ways, with the car at the edge, two tires are right above the posts and so don't put a load on the beams/joists.  

Perhaps you might see if you can hold up your car with a pair of 12ft long 2x6 on each axle.  Please try it and post the video/results.

Oh, let me add, there is about $600 of material in this platform and took me about 1 day to build.

It holds two cars in the 13ft space, plus whatever else I throw up there on the platform, as the tercel is not 16ft long, I've already shoved junk under it too.

What does TWO four post lifts cost?  Looks like $2,000 each.    What they do offer is it is NOT dangerous to raise and lower the car.   If history shows anything, it is that this Tercel will just sit there for another 4 years!  lol

years ago, when I used to work for a company that rented out theatrical equipment, I was making a delivery to a small little dinner theatre in in Old town Philadelphia.. The street was too narrow for me to get my truck around the corner and down, so I had to drop everything on the closest cross street and push it down the cobblestone "alley". Several of the newer homes had garages that led onto this road and one of the doors was open. Peeking in the owner had two cars, one sitting on the ground and the other suspended above it using a 4 post lift. I thought that it was pretty a ingenius use of space to park two cars

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/23/20 9:47 a.m.

GRM...

Where we spend $600 on materials to store a car worth $200.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/23/20 10:29 a.m.

GRM...

Where we jump on someone who builds something we don’t understand reasonably safely out of wood with “OMG, think of the children”, but we applaud any old dumbass maneuver that involves towing, as long as it is on public roads and looks reasonably sketchy. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/20 12:29 p.m.
ShawnG said:

GRM...

Where we spend $600 on materials to store a car worth $200.

The car is only worth $200 because there's like five people who think it's valuable, Meanwhile, half the country would buy the lumber, and they'd pay triple in hurricane season.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
2/23/20 12:39 p.m.

$200 ?   I've tried giving away that Tercel for FREE and have no takers!   I think it would make a super cool car with a chopped top,

and I want to make it a AWD EV too.   I refuse to have it crushed. Just when do I get to that project??      

BTW, what is very unique to this car is the hatch opens and will fit a 4x8 sheet into the back.  Find another car that does that!

(and its perfect for the $50,000 Lemons EV challenge, because you can easily swap batteries out the back ;)

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/20 12:56 p.m.
nimblemotorsports said: 

BTW, what is very unique to this car is the hatch opens and will fit a 4x8 sheet into the back.  Find another car that does that!

Really? I've been in that exact model/bodystyle, and never would have imagined that to be true.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/23/20 1:06 p.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

Umm.. Just about any domestic station wagon built before y2k.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/23/20 2:07 p.m.

I keep thinking I should buy this next December as my 50th / Christmas present...

Maybe I'm over thinking it.  

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
2/23/20 3:07 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

I keep thinking I should buy this next December as my 50th / Christmas present...

Maybe I'm over thinking it.  

I look at them but then I look at the price tag of $8k and remember I would need to have both bays clear before I could bring down a car and I think 2 narrow single car lifts might be a better option for me. 

if you have more than 2 bays in your garage or you are a lot cleaner than I am in the garage they seem like a better option. 

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
2/23/20 11:42 p.m.

How are those 4 posts lifts going to work for a 3-wheeled car?     :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/20 8:23 a.m.

If you can build a 3-wheeled car, you can probably figure out how to weld a third "runway" down the middle.

That double-width lift looks like a great way to put a car up in the air and never really access it again. The hassle of having to do five car moves (bottom car 1 out, bottom car 2 out, lift down, upper car 1 out, lift up, bottom car 1 in, bottom car 2 in) just to get one of the upper cars out - and then do it all again to get the car back in - is a pretty effective barrier to use.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
4/11/20 11:18 p.m.

In reply to nimblemotorsports :

I've been trying to get a Tercel (or an early 323) in that body locally for a bit now... Maybe when this blows over I'll make a road trip. This thread was hilarious to read BTW, your patience/good humor is the best part.

Also, super-lawl at SVreX comment. So true. 

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
4/12/20 2:56 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

thanks.  So I decided to leave the IndyOne on the ground and I put the MGEO up there.  You can see how I use the engine hoist to raise the ramp.

And if you can see the shelving on the left that now provides the lateral support to the platform (which is pallet racking beams and 4x4 posts for uprights.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pu8sPIxXLWTC9Qqzj9jkviAfxtWrYcej4NCvwB88sTo2LbyB68wwPEBmhoK4TqxB