1 2
Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
1/11/20 11:16 a.m.

I would be happy to just more easily Hybrid-ize one of my Saturn wagons.  But that sounds like it would be more difficult that going full electric.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/11/20 11:26 a.m.

In reply to clshore :

as it happens that was the discussion I was remembering... apparently on insightcentral...

https://www.insightcentral.net/threads/stacked-insight-ima-motors.17822

i think I've only made it to page 2 or 3, iirc.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Yeah, the IMA picked up some windings.  I think around 2013 there was another improvement, with the CR-Z getting a lithium pack and upped motor output of 15kW... and maybe up to 20kW under certain circumstances?  There's some discussion in the thread above about adding liquid cooling to the four-stack... which I wonder if it could make 30hp and ~120lb-ft possible?  If so, I think a 1fr/2rear or two sets of two-stacks, for awd would be "an interesting package".

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/11/20 11:37 a.m.
Cooter said:

I would be happy to just more easily Hybrid-ize one of my Saturn wagons.  But that sounds like it would be more difficult that going full electric.

Dunno if this is unique to Virginia... but it's easier with fewer restrictions to convert a car to EV, than it is to LS swap a non-Chevy chassis.  Putting a 'Chevy motor in a mercury' is specifically called out in as rebuild/specialty, and is classified like an antique... with use only for 'automotive events' and/or 'testing of modifications'.  EV's, are checked for safety, and then allowed to operate like any other vehicle.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/11/20 12:54 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Man, you're tossing me into another internet hole. Funny to think it's like rotaries, but they didn't have your guys like Rob Dahm and the like to throw tens of thousands of dollars at making a 4-rotor BRAPbeast- also seems simpler too, but they didn't have a good solution for cooling.

Real interesting thread, but now I'm sad that it died away in 2016. Great idea for an eBike tho...

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
1/11/20 1:16 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

My Saturns are First Gen, so '95 and earlier. (Actually '95 in the case of my wagons)   In Illinois, nothing gets safety inspections (autos, anyway) and only OBD-II gets emissions tested.  I could swap a two stroke boat engine in driving the right front wheel, and I wouldn't run afoul of the "law" until I killed or maimed someone. Not that I would...

The width of the drivetrain for a Prius makes it seem more difficult to me than a full EV setup.   Which is a shame, as I don't want to deal woth Range Anxiety.  

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
1/12/20 5:57 a.m.

Professor Kelly is brilliant. He will lead you down the path to hybrid enlightenment. Look at all of his videos.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
1/12/20 6:21 a.m.
Wally said:

I need to learn about 'lectricity and computers. 

It's black voodoo magic. Just let your school-learnin buddies handle it.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/12/20 7:11 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie :

I actually watched his video on the IMA itself- he detailed how the later units make some 15Kw (20HP) continuous from those little things, which is making me very interested as an e-bike motor, assuming I could make plates to keep the commutator properly aligned.

I'm gonna have to add this to my watch list for later.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lJQBtzGWGBjr5S44mm12jnHDmwaDbuBJ3Aq3pmDC78HGIhBNUObAiNJCk4ETJtIb