jikelly
jikelly New Reader
8/13/08 11:53 a.m.

This guy at work just bought a new corvette and I asked if his car had the displacment on demand (DOD) system and he didn't think it did. So now I'm wondering if the Corvette engines have that system or not.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/13/08 1:21 p.m.

I don't think they do.

Vettedrmr
Vettedrmr
8/13/08 1:27 p.m.

No DOD for Vettes. Rumor has it the new Camaro will have three engines: V6, V8 with DOD, and LS3 (which doesn't have DOD).

Have a good one, Mike

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/13/08 5:14 p.m.

A Corvette with DOD is about as goofy as the manual transmission Corvettes had in the mid '90s that often forced you to shift from 1st to 4th to save gas, whether you wanted to or not.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/13/08 5:23 p.m.

Its pretty sweet when you buy some thing, and know nothin about it

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/13/08 5:28 p.m.
integraguy wrote: A Corvette with DOD is about as goofy as the manual transmission Corvettes had in the mid '90s that often forced you to shift from 1st to 4th to save gas, whether you wanted to or not.

I think DOD is pretty awesome technology, and would love for it to come in my corvette. Skip-shift sucked, and effected driving. DOD does not. When you need a small engine, it acts like a small engine. When you need a big one, it instantly is one.

That said, even a vette without DOD gets pretty awesome mileage.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
8/13/08 6:28 p.m.

I don't see how DOD on a 'vette would be a bad thing, just not worth the extra cost of development as most 'vette buyers are already thrilled about the family car fuel economy with their massive power:weight ratio.

"Skip shift" or CAGS (computer aided gear selection) has been used for a very long time and it allows the manual transmission cars to get through EPA testing and get good fuel economy under certain conditions. It rarely activates, only under very specific operating conditions. Read up kids!

http://www.stealthv.com/cags.htm

CAGS is an acronym for Computer Aided Gear Selection and has been used on 1992 and newer on cars with the T-56, 6-speed transmission like Vipers, Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds, the new GTO and CTS-V. The purpose of CAGS is to improve gas mileage by skipping 2nd and 3rd gears under "normal" acceleration and making you shift from 1st to 4th gear which results in keeping the engine revolutions down, increasing gas mileage and avoiding the gas-guzzler tax. The factory CAGS system blocks the shift gate to second gear when all four of the following conditions are true at the same time on a CTS-V: 1. You are in 1st gear (of course) 2. You are at 21% throttle or less 3. You are between 15 and 19 mph (24 to 31 km/h) 4. And the engine coolant temperature is greater than 169 ºF (76 ºC) When CAGS activates, it energizes a skip-shift solenoid inside the transmission and forces a 1st to 4th shift. What happens is you'll be moving happily along (normal acceleration from a stop light) and you will be locked out of 2nd gear. You simply cannot shift into it - the transmission transparently shifts right from 1st to 4th gear. At this point several options are available to you: Shift into 4th like the EPA wants you to do Push it up in the gate and shift into 3rd Shift into 5th Shift into 6th Coast in neutral until the RPMs drop and CAGS is disengaged Shift back into 1st (or just leave it there to begin with) and open up the throttle a bit more, exceeding 21% throttle or 19 mph and then shift into 2nd gear.

Of course, for a few bucks you can fix the car...stupid EPA, yay for GM leaving us a loophole!

Bryce

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
8/13/08 7:45 p.m.

CAGS could also easily be tuned out with tuning software, a paperclip, or a $20 skip shift eliminator that you plug into the tranny harness.

DOD is cool but leave it on the family cars that need it.

jikelly
jikelly New Reader
8/13/08 8:17 p.m.

I'm guessing DOD will show up on the vettes later. The dude with the vette, whom I can't convince to let me drive for some reason, said that Chevy is going to stop making the base vette and only do the ZR1 and Z06 models. Any truth to that. Not that I could afford any of those Vettes.

Yeah Chevy's Ls series V8 only seems to get better. Great gas mileage and still makes outstanding power. Makes me wish I wouldn't feel like a heel for droping one in my old mustang.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/13/08 8:20 p.m.

John has 40,000+ miles on his GTO and has never had the CAGS engage.

I've driven at least a dozen T56 cars and also never had it engage. Don't drive like a grandpa!

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/14/08 6:31 a.m.
integraguy wrote: A Corvette with DOD is about as goofy as the manual transmission Corvettes had in the mid '90s that often forced you to shift from 1st to 4th to save gas, whether you wanted to or not.

It doesn't take long to train yourself to leave it in first a little longer and avoid that "feature" :) . My brother autoxed my Corvette at an event, and made the first to fourth shift -- he's still learning. Once I explained it to him he lopped a huge amount of time off his run.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/14/08 9:42 a.m.
jikelly wrote: The dude with the vette, whom I can't convince to let me drive for some reason, said that Chevy is going to stop making the base vette and only do the ZR1 and Z06 models. Any truth to that. Not that I could afford any of those Vettes.

I don't buy it.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/14/08 9:49 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
jikelly wrote: The dude with the vette, whom I can't convince to let me drive for some reason, said that Chevy is going to stop making the base vette and only do the ZR1 and Z06 models. Any truth to that. Not that I could afford any of those Vettes.
I don't buy it.

Then they don't build it

dculberson
dculberson New Reader
8/14/08 10:14 a.m.

The same guy that didn't know about his own car? ;-) Seriously, though, I think the base 'vette funds the ZR1 and Z06 models. They move a lot of them, and axing them would decrease their sales. Not just due to cost, but due to buyer's preferences about the car. A base 'vette is a more civilized car than the Z06, offers the best of both worlds: extreme comfort and extreme performance. A Z06 offers incredible performance but lacks the comfort of a base 'vette. (IMHO, of course.)

In other words, he's parroting someone that's spreading rumors. Very unlikely rumors.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
8/14/08 11:07 a.m.
jikelly wrote: I'm guessing DOD will show up on the vettes later. The dude with the vette, whom I can't convince to let me drive for some reason, said that Chevy is going to stop making the base vette and only do the ZR1 and Z06 models. Any truth to that. Not that I could afford any of those Vettes.

Just sounds like Good Ole' Joe Corvette making up/relaying nonsense that he could have possibly heard from other Joe Corvettes.

AutoXR
AutoXR New Reader
8/14/08 11:38 a.m.

I love internet hearsay , it makes me giggle.

They are keeping the base vette.

The DOD in a vette is an issue right now due to the lifter setup used and the high RPM vs longevity.

Cyl deactivation was also considered but with a manual tranny they have yet to make it a smooth transition.

There is also the fact that this type of stuff is pointless. We have a C5 automatic with a crappy 4spd and it will get 30mPG on a long trip. My Boss has a C6 and gets over 30. Thats with 436hp. I can even muster high 20's with the 4+3 Doug nash in our 87 @ 70mph.

The Base vette and Z06 drive differently. The vette is no caddy , but when compared to the Z06 the base is more DD friendly. Base cars still far outsell the Z06.

-J GM Advertising Tech Editor.

00TDI 89Si $2008 car 86 Fiero GT N* 32V v8 5spd 79 Caddy 66 corvair turbo 56 isetta Co-builder of the worlds only rear engined LS1 , porsche trannied Corvair!

jikelly
jikelly New Reader
8/14/08 4:29 p.m.

Thanks for setting the story straight. I'll break the news to my coworker. Hum, maybe this revelation will convince him of his wrongnatudness in thinking he shouldn't let me take his Vette for a spin. :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dtat7XuqxVwBvRa4ocNrMKktz8LHH30wdnSuSasPP78t9c2J8jHXExAxCNo7mFKb