1 2 3
camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
5/20/16 8:22 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: You can find a 6.0 with the Allison if you look hard. My supervisor has one.

I didn't think they ever made that combo. Either way 6.0 or 8.1 still > this thing.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
5/20/16 1:21 p.m.

I would take a gas GM with a home brew turbo setup over that Dodge. At least the engine would be cheap to replace when it fails.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/20/16 1:37 p.m.

A friend of mine had the right answer. He wanted a Dodge but didn't want anything of the things that broke. So he got a 2wd heavy half with a 4.7/Nv3500 and manual windows. It's a crew cab long bed too, cool truck. I kinda want one.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/16 8:02 p.m.
Brian wrote: What kind of miles will you be doing, and how often? I've heard it said enough times on here, diesels don't like to sit.

Myth. Totally. Maybe in 1975, but not today with common rail injection and modern fuels.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/16 8:23 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to Cotton: Are we reading the same thread? You are defending the diesel, based on the "extra performance and mileage of a mild tune", and on the fact that you take care of your truck and don't "run insane amounts of boost". But THIS truck runs 30 psi, has an oversized exhaust, jacked up suspension, blown 1 engine in half it's normal lifespan, blown 1 trans, etc. etc. What's the purpose in defending this? - the signs are there, and there is no reason to ignore them. It is perfectly reasonable to conclude that this truck may not be an optimum example, and FbC is not the enemy because he is a "warranty claims guy" who "sees the worst of everything". I am glad you take care of your vehicles, and I am sure I would be happy buying one from you. But I don't see how that information is at all useful to the OP, or relevant to this truck.

I love Cummins and hate Dodge, but this one screams cowboy cadillac. That Cummins shouldn't need anything except gaskets and a fuel filter until 400k.

At $10k I would consider it. At $12k I'd walk. $16k I would not even pick up the phone.

One thing that people miss about Cummins trucks has two parts to it: First, the 48RE transmission is not up to the task. Dodge missed the mark with the automatics. Having run a tranny repair shop, I've seen snapped input shafts, shattered drums, ripped bands, and cracked housings. Even a plain soft parts rebuild on a Dodge trans is usually 30-50% more expensive than a Ford or Chevy equivalent. Second, the inline 6 is so much harder on a driveline than the same power/torque from an 8. Think of it like this: (even though this isn't really how it works) Imagine a Cummins making 480 torques. That means it makes an 80 torque "hit" every 120 degrees. A Dmax or Stroke making 480 torques makes a 60 torque hit every 90 degrees. Much less torsional vibes from the V8.

I'm with SVrex... Not a fan of this one.

I am however a massive supporter of diesels. If you need a 3/4 ton, diesel is a wonderful way to have gobs of towing torque and almost double the MPG. I just bought an F150HD (the 7-lug kind) with the 5.4L because I didn't have the budget for a decent diesel 3/4. I love the truck, but not digging the 12 mpg. I still steal Dad's Dmax every once in a while where I enjoy 22 mpg.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/20/16 9:36 p.m.
curtis73 wrote:
Brian wrote: What kind of miles will you be doing, and how often? I've heard it said enough times on here, diesels don't like to sit.
Myth. Totally. Maybe in 1975, but not today with common rail injection and modern fuels.

Not myth with my Cummins. That truck hated sitting. If I didn't drive it at least once a week, it made me regret it. And without functional AC, it would sit for most of the Summer unless I needed it to haul something.

The only time it actually ran "well" was during a month or so stretch when I was replacing the TB in my TDI and it was my DD (not something my neighbors enjoyed when I'd leave at 5 am in a 12V with a 4" straight exhaust).

By the time I sold it, the engine barely ran at all and was a mofo to start.

Hell, my freaking Spitfire tolerates sitting for long periods better than my Cummins did.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/20/16 9:38 p.m.

Yeah, my F-250 doesn't like sitting either.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/20/16 9:40 p.m.

In reply to curtis73:

It's had a rebuilt engine and Trans at 200k. It should not have needed the rebuilt engine unless the po was doing something stupid.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
5/20/16 9:46 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

My only diesel truck experience was a borrowed 2000ish 3/4 ton Cummins that had been sitting for a couple months, guy had a lot of trouble starting it, ran like total E36 M3, like not even hitting on all 6 for the first minute or two, took half an hour of Italian tuneup to get it running right.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/20/16 9:56 p.m.

Mine is not nearly as much of a headache as everyone says these things are. I'm not sure what they would have done as they got newer to make them less usable.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
5/20/16 11:23 p.m.

I have several diesels right now. 84 cucv with the 6.2, 85 300sd (plus a 300d), 95 f450 with powerstroke, 02 k3500 with duramax, then the big boys....a 5ton military truck with the non turbo 855 Cummins and an 88 Peterbilt 362 with the turbo 855. I also just brought a neighbors 02 dodge with Cummings back to life after sitting for 3 years, basically by adding batteries. In the past I've had other powerstroke and Cummins powered trucks. My point is I don't have any major issues with these things sitting for extended periods and honestly feel like tolerance for sitting is one of the perks of a diesel, but maybe I'm just lucky. I keep the batteries up, use standyne fuel additive, and always keep my filters fresh, but that's about it. Edit: and of course good glow plugs etc. I'm always surprised and how many diesels I come across that have bad glow plugs, glow plug relays, grid heaters, etc.

Ian F I seem to remember your truck having a shady history, which you found out after you got it. Maybe the contributed the the bad luck you had with it.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/21/16 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Cotton:

Possible. The truck ran well after bought it and drove it somewhat frequently, but after the "new vehicle novelty" wore off and it settled into being an occasional use vehicle, the troubles began.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
5/21/16 9:10 a.m.

I've been kicking the tires about also buying a used Cummins. I have a 99 GMC Z71 Ext Cab with a 4.8 and over 280,000 miles. I can tow my 18 foot car hauler and 78 Z28 with ease locally. I towed a 79 GMC shortbox from Knoxville to Gainsville and back and still had 12-13mpg. The 4.8 still runs like a top, has good power, gets 15-16 mpg daily. But going up and down TN and KY hills with desire to frequent the Ohio Mile, new Crossville dragstrip, and other personal goals - a diesel will pull hills much better for my future intentions. Living in a flatland area may be a different story. Since I live 30 minutes from a large off road park with over 70,000 acres, I have thoughts of retiring my Z71 to off road playtimes and finding a used 2wd diesel to do the towing grunt work. Being a GM guy, I would prefer a Duramax, but the used Cummins are easier to find. But my thoughts lean toward one that hasn't been modified so much.

My fear of the Cummins, is not the Cummins, but the rest of the Dodge around it. I see Dodge owners with 3/4 and 1 tons every year dumping money into repairs (expensive ones) and its not related to the motor.

A used Cummins - the find may be one that has 200K on it and someone else also already rebuilt/replaced the trans and suspension.

I have a neighbor near my hobby shop, that has a 7.3 Ford Diesel Dually 4WD that tows an enclosed trailer. He has a Bully Dog programmer set on kill with a turbo at 35psi. It sounds like a jet when he takes off (everything else is stock including the exhaust). It has over 200K on it, 6 speed manual. He is a professional mechanic and keeps it maintained. I believe that someone who has modified a diesel - like anything else how is it maintained? is the key.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/21/16 3:41 p.m.

I think the idea that anyone thinks they can get that truck for $12k is funny.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/21/16 4:50 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I think the idea that anyone thinks they can get that truck for $12k is funny.

An Ebay search last week for trucks with a Buy it Now under $12K found about a dozen comparable to that truck.

jungle
jungle New Reader
5/24/16 11:58 a.m.

So in the past week, another person said they wanted the truck and has now backed out. My friend told me to make an offer, and the seller would probably would take $13k. I am on the same boat as many ppl who would stay away from it due to probable abuse. However since both the motor and trans have very fresh rebuilds, does previous abuse matter? If I take it for a drive every other weekend, might I keep the diesel gremlins away?

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
5/24/16 12:32 p.m.

Everyone is saying stay away, but you are still trying to talk yourself into it? Offer him $10k and if he doesn't take it walk away. If he does, be prepared to spend that extra $3-5k in repairs.

As far as keeping the gremlins away I would say that would do it as long as the weekend trips aren't around the block. I had a Duramax that I didn't drive that often, but never had a problem with it. When I did drive it though it was for at least 50 miles or so, most times many more than that.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
5/24/16 12:58 p.m.

Id always rather have the oe non rebuilt stuff unless i know the rebuilder, ive seen to many E36 M3 rebuilds on trans and engines.

No definetly no. Out here in the boonies thats what everyone drives or wants, and once they start doing crap like that to them, they all turn to turds.

The best diesel is a stock one or one slightly modified for reliability. The worst diesel is a brodozer being drove around in melt it all down mode.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
5/24/16 3:41 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
Vigo wrote: I think the idea that anyone thinks they can get that truck for $12k is funny.
An Ebay search last week for trucks with a Buy it Now under $12K found about a dozen comparable to that truck.

I call shenanigans on this - I have been looking hard for a diesel for 2 months and it seems anything decent is 15+ - and this truck ranks as decent.

Sure there are some that get sold for 7,8,10k, but those are the outliers or have awful paint combos/crank windows/millions of miles/body damage.

If you were closer I would swing by to take a look at this truck.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/24/16 3:47 p.m.

it took me 30 seconds to find this for 11.5k

EDIT: I honestly haven't kept up with the value on the newer trucks, CCLB and fleet truck interior might bring the price down some.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/24/16 9:48 p.m.

Yall should buy those and try to sell them in Texas!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/25/16 7:38 a.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

I think the 294K miles is keeping the price down. That's over 24K miles per year. Granted, that's less than what I tend to put on a vehicle (currently averaging over 31K/year on my '08 GC)... Otherwise, that truck is exactly what I'd be looking for if I wanted another truck (4WD, CCLB, 6 spd manual).

In reply to Vigo:

Yeah... that is easily a $15K truck up here in the rust belt.

jungle
jungle New Reader
5/25/16 10:23 a.m.

It's hard, I have ppl on both sides of line...some saying buy it, some saying run away screaming! :) BTW...thanks for everyone's input! I am still tormenting myself w/ this. Especially since the current owner is willing to deal. I am still scared of it, well any diesel for that matter.

FWIW: this one just showed up today: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/5581990372.html Almost identical truck, rebuilt trans w/ upgrades, 212k..."he values it at $15k." This line is interesting: "Edge cts gauges... adult driven, used only in economy setting for 4k." Considering the leveling kit, and oversized tires,....looks close to Bro-Dozer (I love that term!) territory.

Oh! I just learned that the tan one has basically the same billet trans stuff, just not the high capacity aluminum pan, and has a 3yr warranty.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
5/25/16 4:48 p.m.

Ripped up interior fleet trucks with 300k are a dime a dozen even in the great rusty north.

Find me heated leather, CC/SB/Auto, 4x4, Southern/Stored Winters, 200k or less miles for $12k. It ain't happening on anything you would want to be seen in.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/25/16 6:32 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo:

Here are 17 of them. Diesel, under 200K, Auto trans, 4x4. That's just the ones with a buy it now under $12K. Auction prices would include many more.

Ebay sub $12K

You can pick through them yourself for the other specs.

But I think you are missing the point. The OP said he didn't want diesel, didn't need 4x4. That would include many, may more in his price range.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3YTcrBqQlpCXEkF2vTYDbuYkE7fnSyc84GpD5oVV0lYYC6FsQPALo7jkdHY9TvaT