1 2
rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
2/9/18 8:17 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I'd call BS on the all seasons being as good.  IMO, a summer with a good tread pattern to clear water is much better in the rain than an all season (as far as how well they stick).  Heck, the difference between an average SUV type all season and even a mediocre summer tire on the Jeep is the difference between WOT at 50 (2nd gear) on wet pavement snapping the tail out instantly and WOT at 20 (1st gear) sticking perfectly fine. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/9/18 9:15 p.m.

In this case we were comparing a just-released all-season performance tire vs. a summer tire that came to market 6+ years ago. For daily driving, I'm going to go with some trusted friends that they're close enough in the dry with the all-season being better in the wet. In this case, we were discussing two very specific tires in a very specific case. The point was just that sometimes it's tough to compare tires based on generalities. Sometimes you have to dig deeper for the answer. 

wspohn
wspohn Dork
2/10/18 1:54 p.m.

Take a look - addresses the question of what is best for performance.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
2/18/18 9:29 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

New technology,  hmm some of that has to be buzz words while some is likely fact.  

Nascar has developed the 15 inch tire to a science and those without the budget can almost stay with those that do have  the budget.  If you put out options like 18-20 inch wheels only those with massive budgets could be competitive.  What camber curve for this track, another track etc  is really optimal? Then toe issues and this style of driving, a more aggressive etc. 

It’s  really like tailoring a car to a drivers style not just finding out what’s best.  At least at the top level of Motorsports.  

As I worked on designing my MGUAR I had access to a suspension  program that did predictions based on the variables I put in.  I could then do the simulator thing and apply that data to a couple of the tracks I’ve raced at. Since I had no class I needed to comply with I could use almost any wheel and tire. 

Remarkably the 19 inch wire wheels ( with 9.5 inch rims ) weren’t that far from 15X10 wheels with NASCAR slicks.  They both even fit in the same fender. 

Sure one was a racing slick while the other was a DOT tire. The only real difference was cost.  One cost less than $300 a corner (‘“mag “ wheel and NASCAR take off) and one cost $900 a corner ( wire wheel and DOT tire )  $1200 vs $3200.  

mykola_m3
mykola_m3
7/2/20 3:18 p.m.

GRM, first of all, thank you very much for this review, finally someone did it right with
a. right car
b. similar rims and tyres

My favorite ride is BMW E46Ci and I had three different set of rims: 17" native offset, 18" near native offset, 18" huge deviation from offset for look.

To the point: 17" wheels with 245 tyres width and 45 profile is just perfect, I only wish I could put there less offset (now it deviates for 7mm) for the look but driving experience is just incredible, so guys, style is good but if you wanna rather feel it than impress others - 17 is the choice,

By the way, why do you think all motorcycles using 17" rims diameter? 

mykola_m3
mykola_m3 New Reader
7/2/20 3:24 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I think you should not compare its excellency BMW engineering department with American cars but this is only my humble opinion = )

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/2/20 3:44 p.m.

In reply to mykola_m3 :

Did you really bump a 3 year old post just to be a fanboi?

Pro-tip. I've owned 4 BMWs. wink

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/3/20 8:49 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

The answer remains test.  Test and test. Control all the variables. Do computer simulations to minimize the variables and then actual tests. 

suddenly we're talking massive budgets.   Well beyond any hope of grass roots budgets.  We need  some solid data so even if it's a computer simulation we can have some assurance of its accuracy. 

I tried to compile a list of weights of wheels and 4 years later most of the wheels I have data on are no longer being sold. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/4/20 7:07 a.m.

More small tyres = more better.  Well, maybe,...in theory 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TJHMMCCHsF7911sMAbPhCVfv3lIqHc2kBFNOzuFlmADM1dfncV0wdfEsYfHk4tIj