David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/15/08 7:56 a.m.

GRM would like to see your pit bikes. We're working on some editorial about the various methods people use to move their tools and bodies through the pits and paddock. Have a neat tool cart, pit bike or track-side support vehicle? Send some high-resolution photos plus details to David at david@grassrootsmotorsports.com.

Thanks.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/15/08 8:14 a.m.

Am I responsible for this?!

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/71-honda-ct70-mini-trail-vintage-pit-bike-update/1645/page1/

Photobucket

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/15/08 8:18 a.m.

It did help re-ignite and old idea. If you have a high-resolution version of that shot, send it my way. And don't forget details--who you are, what we're looking at, etc.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
7/15/08 9:28 a.m.

There's an unbelievable amount of awesome in that pic.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/08 9:35 a.m.

Now this looks fun.

subrew
subrew New Reader
7/15/08 10:48 a.m.

Just a few of my pit bikes:

1964 Yamaha YG-1T

1966 Honda CS65

1970 Suzuki AC50

1964 Yamaha YJ1

1964 Hodaka ACE 90

And a line up of part of the collection:

And the latest project, a 1965 Honda C110 destined for the salt flats...

Most of these bikes have proven useful at track days and national Solo events over the years. They also make quick trips to the grocery store more fun.

Chris H.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
7/15/08 11:18 a.m.

OK, here's our "Isle of Man" sidecar / pitbike (great for carrying tires, fuel tanks and one passenger). We just got back from the PVGP and it got more notice than my race-Sprite.

Saw this one last week at PVGP. It's at a lot of vintage events I run. Usually, the "deck" has tires, people, or fuel cans (for the owner's Cobra) on it.

To be honest, I think this is the simplest and most effective pit cart. Cheap too.

Saw this at BeaveRun last year:

Seen at Lime Rock a few years ago:

And this is Chris Shoemaker's Moke that he always brings to VRG vintage events. We were in at the PVGP last week. It's street legal and great for running out to the local store when away at a race. He has enough extra room in his car carrier for it. It's sort of a communal "pit cart". We used it for our Xmas card picture a few years ago.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/15/08 12:03 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Now this looks fun.

WTF is that? I think I want it.

oldschoolimport
oldschoolimport New Reader
7/15/08 5:35 p.m.

I can get better pics.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

mod list:

new plastics, xr600 seat cover, snowhog snow blower tires, fast 50s fork legs and springs, BBR bars and levers, sikk mx skid plate, DC pegs and mount, xr 80 swing arm, Yoshimura shocks, Renthal gold chain, Two Brothers exhaust, Uni filter

it was shackled down with training wheels for a while. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

and this is what happens when you don't have a trailer. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/15/08 5:49 p.m.

The engine in that bike is a Chinese clone of the Honda engine in my CT 70 Mini Trail.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/08 6:36 a.m.

Yes it does look like fun! But did anyone else notice there doesn't appear to be a rear sprocket on that bike?

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/16/08 10:15 a.m.

more pics please

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5DlLA5Y5IXVlQjGPGlgzp7eEHummm4dUKDQSIa4LJMbP8Gqggxg6hK935JAkFred