1 2
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
4/3/13 6:00 a.m.

The wagon thread of the 90s got me thinking...Back in high school i looked into them and end up on the Miata train.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Stock they are not that great for any performance thing however, it seems to be an alternative to a mini van for hauling things and can be made to look decent. Plus you can swap in the 4G63 motor. Again, not that performce oriented but a DD that looks different and can do some stuff moving?

Might not be a bad option...

Or are they that bad and there is a reason no one is touching them haha

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
4/3/13 6:18 a.m.

I read somewhere (may be WRONG!) that they're lancers under the skin. Similar - if not the same - awd hardware as an evo of that vintage.

But that could be FALSE. Don't want to get your hopes up...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/3/13 6:23 a.m.

For a drag car, it's an easy platform to put in the 4g63T. The problem is they don't handle all that well and finding a manual is pretty rare.

Most people don't touch them now because you can get a talon or eclipse for about the same price and get a better handling package.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
4/3/13 6:34 a.m.

I always thought of them as the Scion Xa that was way ahead of its time. I think Stan dd'd one for a while.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
4/3/13 6:44 a.m.

I wrenched at a Jeep/Eagle dealer and they were really good cars. While I wouldn't say that they handle well, they were fun to drive though. I do remember there was one particular year/engine combo that resulted in a $800.00 alternator, that was in 1997 dollars Interestingly enough, I just saw an Eagle Summit sedan on the road Monday. Wow!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/3/13 8:24 a.m.

My dad bought an Eagle Vista wagon when I was a kid in Canada. It was a 5 spd, had a 3rd row, and was our family hauler for a few years. My brother learned to drive stick on it, and I remember him having a blast in it. A quick interwebs search says that it was powered by a single cam 4g63...I don't think it was turbo and it wasn't 4wd. I think the Eagle Summit replaced this, and the Vista was Canada-only I believe.

I say all that to say that I have always liked these things. They seem like the oddball alternative to an old Civic wagon-cooler just cuz they are more rare. I say get one, start a build thread, and turbo it!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/3/13 8:56 a.m.

I actually helped my buddy bag an Eagle Summit last weekend. Cool little car.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/3/13 8:56 a.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: My dad bought an Eagle Vista wagon when I was a kid in Canada. It was a 5 spd, had a 3rd row, and was our family hauler for a few years. My brother learned to drive stick on it, and I remember him having a blast in it. A quick interwebs search says that it was powered by a single cam 4g63...I don't think it was turbo and it wasn't 4wd. I think the Eagle Summit replaced this, and the Vista was Canada-only I believe. I say all that to say that I have always liked these things. They seem like the oddball alternative to an old Civic wagon-cooler just cuz they are more rare. I say get one, start a build thread, and turbo it!

We here in the US got the Dodge Colt Vista. Those are also kinda neat.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
4/3/13 9:22 a.m.

Total Recall Johnny Cab

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
4/3/13 9:33 a.m.

The only thing I remember about these (or maybe it was the previous gen of the same car) was that Mitsu was too damn lazy to properly redesign the braking system for LHD. The booster and M/C were mounted on the right-side firewall, and connected to the LHD brake pedal by the world's most monkey-*&^% linkage.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/3/13 9:57 a.m.

I understand the fascination.

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/3698303711.html

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/3/13 10:02 a.m.

Friends of mine used to own the Eagle Summit version. I borrowed it for a few days once. I didn't care for the high ride height, but it was fun enough with the manual tranny. Huge cargo space, obviously. Definitely ahead of its time.

jere
jere Reader
4/3/13 10:14 a.m.

Is there any branding that denotes 4wd or turbo on these ESi, DX, LX...?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
4/3/13 11:14 a.m.

saturn is buring oil and i figure ill kep my options open should it fail big time.

these are cheap and funtional.

A good suspension for a DD will be a good start for me

Pbw
Pbw New Reader
4/3/13 12:07 p.m.

One thing I always found very weird on the colt/mirage is how the brake booster/master cyl is on the passenger side, bar under the dash transfers the movement from drivers side over.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
4/3/13 12:29 p.m.

I had a 98 Mirage with the 1.5, it was a like a Civic with little aftermarket, documented modifications, and parts availability.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
4/3/13 1:57 p.m.

I've seen a few with rear disc brakes and manual transmissions. I wouldn't mind an AWD model with the 4G63T swap as a nice sleeper. The engine ive seen in most is the 1.8 4G93 but it may have been the 2.4 version as they look similar.

Most of them are pretty trashed these days so you might need to clean up the interior with a flamethrower.

For mods you just need to get creative. I had Evo 8 springs and struts on my '95 Mirage. The rear disc conversion comes from a Volvo S40. I never modded the 4G93 as I just swapped a 4G63T but I have worked on a turbocharged 1.8 and it was a nice combo.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
4/3/13 6:38 p.m.

One of those, or the Nissan version (Multi/Axxess) would be perfect to haul the bikes to the track, and use for an overnight camper. I've seen a bunch of the Nissans with 2.4 and 5 spd trans.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
4/3/13 6:41 p.m.

And I found one 30 minutes from home. AWD 5 spd.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Nissan-Axxess-WINTER-BEATER-with-SAFETY-AND-Etest-W0QQAdIdZ461267558

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/3/13 8:36 p.m.

Passed on a stupid clean, sub 100k mile Summit for $1300 a couple years ago. Still kicking myself.

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
4/3/13 9:46 p.m.

I have one. 1993 eagle summit van. All wheel drive, five speed, 4g63t powered. Its a beast in the snow and ran 13.6 in the quarter mile a couple years ago. It does donuts on snow, and i once pulled a miata out of a ditch with it. Its mad tyte. Yo.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/3/13 10:54 p.m.
Catatafish wrote: I have one. 1993 eagle summit van. All wheel drive, five speed, 4g63t powered. Its a beast in the snow and ran 13.6 in the quarter mile a couple years ago. It does donuts on snow, and i once pulled a miata out of a ditch with it. Its mad tyte. Yo.

And this car isn't in your garage list why? I can't be the only one who wants to see this!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
4/3/13 11:06 p.m.

got me thinkin at work today. gotta be a more modern Mitsu engine that drops in no?

More info on the AWD 4G63 one too please

jere
jere Reader
4/4/13 12:07 a.m.

here is one $2500 tho

poopshovel wrote:

Passed on a stupid clean, sub 100k mile Summit for $1300 a couple years ago. Still kicking myself.

Still not sure which ones had AWD or turbo, Wiki is no help either unless I am searching the wrong name

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/4/13 8:05 a.m.
Catatafish wrote: I have one. 1993 eagle summit van. All wheel drive, five speed, 4g63t powered. Its a beast in the snow and ran 13.6 in the quarter mile a couple years ago. It does donuts on snow, and i once pulled a miata out of a ditch with it. Its mad tyte. Yo.

Umm. I love you(?) Please put me on the list if you ever sell.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x32D1sSkwqVqJIhAOcZSzyPm0syIIgocG6zj4kj9jGWWG7mlxcb37uK6OY8rUR0w