1 2
Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/24/17 5:30 p.m.

Link

As standard, the SRT Demon gets 808 horsepower and 717 lb-ft. of torque. If you want the maximum power – 840 HP and 770 lb-ft. of torque – you need the Demon Crate, an exclusive set of components personalized with the owner’s name and the car’s VIN and serial numbers. Inside, there are two narrow, front-runner drag wheels, a performance powertrain control module with high-octane engine calibration, conical performance air filter, two valve stems, and even a replacement instrument panel switch module with high-octane button.

Dodge even throws in the tools to fit all that at the track, and the aforementioned crate to transport it in. According to the automaker it should set you back $6,140 in all, but they’re offering it as a $1 option.

Also just a buck is the chance to have other people actually sit in the car with you. Sure enough, off the lot the Demon has just one seat, for the driver. If you you want a rear seat – either in cloth or leather – then Dodge will charge you a dollar. If you want a front passenger seat, that’s a dollar too. Carpet for the trunk? You guessed it, a dollar.

Probably more useful is the full-day session at Bob Bondurant School of High-performance Driving that every Demon buyer will get as part of the package. Oh, and the three-year/36,000-mile limited vehicle warranty and five-year/60,000-mile limited powertrain coverage, not something you usually find on a drag racer.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 6:31 p.m.

Finally, options I can afford.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
5/25/17 8:05 a.m.

So what does it need for fuel to make the full 840hp?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
5/25/17 8:12 a.m.

I'm certainly not in the market for such a thing, but I absolutely love that a manufacturer is doing this sort of loony crap.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/25/17 8:17 a.m.
rslifkin wrote: So what does it need for fuel to make the full 840hp?

I believe 100 octane.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
5/25/17 8:18 a.m.
rslifkin wrote: So what does it need for fuel to make the full 840hp?

100+ octane fuel.

Gas

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
5/25/17 8:19 a.m.

$1.00 for a seat!!!! I just got an email from my friends at Mopar saying I can get $100 off of the purchase price to activate the Map/Navigation option on my '14 Grand Cherokee. The final price? $495. Just to activate it. I'm pretty sure my phone that's already paid for will suffice. If the activation was only $100, I'd probably get it, but what a kick in the nuts for an activation fee. Go pound sand FCA.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
5/25/17 8:21 a.m.

In reply to Spitsix:

At the track? Only if there's a tire truck there; the Demon Crate doesn't come with tires to fit the narrow rims.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
5/25/17 8:34 a.m.

I'll take the options, but not the car. Here's my $3. Thanks!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
5/25/17 10:44 a.m.

It comes with two valve stems? So... two valve stems for the V8? Or only two valve stems for the front tires? Either way, doesn't seem like enough parts for the job.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/25/17 11:56 a.m.

This reminds me of the neat homologation tricks Dodge pulled in the 60s

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
5/25/17 12:07 p.m.

mck1117
mck1117 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/25/17 12:21 p.m.

Ok so suppose I do this. I buy a demon, and get the passenger seat option for $1. I can put that seat in my challenge car for a budget hit of $1, right? I even have the window sticker as documentation that I really paid a dollar!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
5/25/17 12:30 p.m.

In reply to mck1117:

You win all the things if you do this.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
5/25/17 9:54 p.m.

Mega bonus if you use the demon to tow the challenge car

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
5/25/17 10:27 p.m.

So awesome. I love it.

mck1117
mck1117 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/25/17 11:51 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

I would, but I also don't really want a Demon. There are a lot of Porsches higher up on the list of things I'd have for $85000 than a Demon.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
5/26/17 8:57 a.m.
Spitsix wrote: Probably more useful is the full-day session at Bob Bondurant School of High-performance Driving that every Demon buyer will get as part of the package.

A Demon on a roadcourse - Youtube gold?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
5/26/17 11:56 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
Spitsix wrote: Probably more useful is the full-day session at Bob Bondurant School of High-performance Driving that every Demon buyer will get as part of the package.
A Demon on a roadcourse - Youtube gold?

315 square setup and sticky tires with adjustable suspension. Bet it would put on quite a show.

In F Class

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
5/26/17 1:39 p.m.

Almost off the first page, and no one has linked a pic yet?

Here we go:

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/7/17 12:45 p.m.

What will the 2018 Dodge SRT Demon beat in a 1/4 mile drag race?
Some of the fastest and most expensive production cars in the world, that's what

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
6/7/17 12:54 p.m.

So are we starting a pool to see how long it takes for the first one to get stuffed into a k-rail a written off?

I'm betting within 24 hrs of their official release.

STM317
STM317 Dork
6/7/17 1:06 p.m.
nderwater wrote: What will the 2018 Dodge SRT Demon beat in a 1/4 mile drag race? Some of the fastest and most expensive production cars in the world, that's what

I'm just here to remind everybody that we've had a Challenge car run 10.2 sec in the quarter mile. If all you want is a drag special, there are way cheaper ways than a $90k Demon. And I'd wager that the Nelson's car would fare pretty well against the Demon on an autocross too.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/7/17 2:34 p.m.

This is true, but Andy Nelson can't offer a warranty and international dealer support.
It's silly when people say that they could build something faster in their garage. Lots of cars could be made faster with just bolt on parts, but by the time it's all said and done, most wouldn't be that much cheaper than this car. None would have a warranty, none would have an interior finished to this quality (if an interior at all), none would appreciate in value over the years, and non would inspire Ford and GM to up their game.
Whether or not folks care about a 1/4 mile attack car or if they think it's a silly car; it's a car from a company that was left for dead (again) not long ago that is limping along on someone else's outdated platforms that is making the big guys scramble.
This is good for gear-heads.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
6/7/17 2:39 p.m.

Years ago a 9 second street car was ridiculously hard to build (even supercars weren't that fast then - and think about how expensive they are now to be this fast).

Now it's got A/C and a factory warranty.

I love it.

And though road racing is my favorite motorsport, to me, drag racing is it if you want to be king of the hill. Point A to Point B, done. If you can't get it done in a 1/4 mile, go home.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ND93IIAIbepqCvN6fwLzk3NdyFROWvZcu0DpYvaE8CuJp4bfFnr3DP4V6wstp5kD