1 2
Moving_Target
Moving_Target New Reader
2/15/12 8:10 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote:
Moving_Target wrote: Where is the temp sensor located on a bent six? I'll save me some trouble looking it up.
Look at the front of the cylinder head near the radiator hose. Single wire connection. Probably a purple wire with a rubber molded press on connector. Check the wire to see if it's broken before grabbing a sender for it. I've had a couple dry rot and break where the connector meets the wire. Don't see it until you go to pull the sender...

Found it (actually an orange w/black tracer) and traced it all the way back to to the guage. It appears the guage is kaput (measures infinity). I guess I'll be looking for an instrument cluster since, as well, the voltage regulator went from having the gas guage pinned empty to pinned full. Fun, fun, fun.

I did discombobulate the steering column and figured out the starter switch was gummy (thought the ignition lock was the problem) and got it freed up again. Also will have to replace the turn signal switch since the mechanism for the right hand cancel is worn out.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
2/15/12 8:37 p.m.

If you ground the wire for the temp sender the gauge should move to full. But it sounds like it's toast.

It's possible to crack open the limiter and replace the guts with a 5V regulator. There are a couple articles floating out there on how to do it. With the new voltage limiters running over $50 (!) I'd try soldering a 5V regulator up in the old can.

Moving_Target
Moving_Target New Reader
2/15/12 9:14 p.m.

I tried the grounding lead trick first with no joy (temp sender was reading around 80-100 ohms with the engine warmed up so I assumed it's still good).

Rob_Mopar wrote: If you ground the wire for the temp sender the gauge should move to full. But it sounds like it's toast. It's possible to crack open the limiter and replace the guts with a 5V regulator. There are a couple articles floating out there on how to do it. With the new voltage limiters running over $50 (!) I'd try soldering a 5V regulator up in the old can.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I've got several LM7805 regulators in my electronics parts stash so it's an easy thing for me to try.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yWN4XrqynGPvtoQi1Rcb7qFjIM6JNjYujJwp2DaGbvfDS93WOKWuyveL3FODXPms