1 2 3
Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
12/7/18 8:04 p.m.

If so I was curious what people who have them think of them.  I recently have looked at a bunch of new cars and that was actually one of my favorite.  I even liked it better than the base Kia Stinger which I also looked at.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/7/18 8:37 p.m.

I think they're pretty cool, but I have yet to see one in the wild - which is odd since this area is chock-full of "whatever is new" no matter what marque....

Dave M
Dave M Reader
12/8/18 6:26 a.m.

I've never seen one! And I've seen two Volvo V90 wagons (not cross country) in the wild.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
12/8/18 5:16 p.m.

I've seen 2 or 3 around here. Great looking and seems like a great car. Probably too little too late though from GM

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/8/18 6:42 p.m.

I have seen approximately two in the wild.

My gut feeling says that between the one-two punch of GM’s divorce from Opel/Vauxhall and the sharp decline in sedan/wagon sales that the new Regal (both Sportback and TourX) will only last a few model years.

Probably some great deals coming down the pipeline at the expense of support issues a decade from now.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/8/18 8:09 p.m.

So far I've only seen one at the New York Auto Show. I really like it, although I don't really need another wagon.

NickD
NickD UberDork
12/9/18 6:57 a.m.

Our dealership has four of them on the lot. The first one we got back in May and is still hanging around. We finally threw one in our rental fleet just to get it some exposure.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
12/9/18 7:49 a.m.

I’ve seen a couple. Great looking, a little bigger than I expected but not giant by any means. 

einy
einy HalfDork
12/9/18 8:23 a.m.

Quick look at the Buick dealer on Northeast side of Cincinnati's web page shows 9 in stock with pricing advertised online at $7k - $8k off of list plus whatever you can negotiate beyond that starting point discount.  Must not be moving very briskly I'd hazard to guess.  Still have not seen one on the road yet around here.

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
12/9/18 12:27 p.m.

First I saw of them was at an auto show too, I hadn't even seen a picture of one but I knew they existed.  I expected to dislike it, but after looking at it they seem surprisingly nice.  I haven't seen one on the road yet either, I wouldn't be surprised if they are gone after the 2020 model year but who knows. I have seen some advertised online at a heavy discount too (like $10k).  

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
12/9/18 4:48 p.m.

I wonder why they're having such a hard time selling it? There is other competition in this product space and it's a product that makes all sorts of sense to me. I wonder if a Regal Sportback might be worth considering to avoid owning a product you can't get parts for.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/9/18 5:10 p.m.
Snrub said:

I wonder why they're having such a hard time selling it? 

Because even though we wagon lovers appreciate it, in the real world, no one under 75 years old, would be caught dead in a Buick 

i went and  test drove one to see if it can replace my Tsx wagon ; it didn’t come close. Interior quality was pretty poor for the price 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/9/18 6:04 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
 in the real world, no one under 75 years old, would be caught dead in a Buick 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/9/18 6:04 p.m.
Snrub said:

I wonder if a Regal Sportback might be worth considering to avoid owning a product you can't get parts for.

It too is descended from company lineage that's no longer affiliated with GM so I don't think it will be any better-supported than the TourX as time goes on.

I wouldn't be surprised if sales on the Sportback are worse. One thing the TourX has going for it is that there aren't many other products in that niche. But there are a dozen other great sedans you can buy...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/9/18 6:25 p.m.

I liked the interior of the Buick. Much more than any of the Acuras I've looked at in the past decade-plus

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/9/18 7:17 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

I don’t know that he’s wrong exactly. What is Buick’s current demographic like? Sure one of us would consider it but we would also drive an Opel Manta or a Roadmaster wagon so we’re not a representative sample of any meaningful demographic when it comes to cars. I think in general Buick’s buyers are all pretty old at this point. 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
12/9/18 7:30 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to fasted58 :

I don’t know that he’s wrong exactly. What is Buick’s current demographic like? Sure one of us would consider it but we would also drive an Opel Manta or a Roadmaster wagon so we’re not a representative sample of any meaningful demographic when it comes to cars. I think in general Buick’s buyers are all pretty old at this point. 

I think Buicks are reverse cool at this point. Your classic Buick buyer base is dead by now. But wagons are reverse cool now too (witness hipsters driving around LA in old Mercedes wagons). 

Unfortunately these will be killed off before the hipster coolness goes mainstream, leaving the upper middle class wagon spoils all to Subaru and Volvo and VW. New GM likes to sell vehicles at a high margin, and the margins on heavily discounted wagons are not there compared to trucks.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/9/18 7:36 p.m.

I don't think the problem is that it's a Buick, the problem is that it's a wagon. The vast majority of people would rather drive a crossover or SUV.

I'd actually consider it if they'd put a little more oomph under the hood.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
12/9/18 7:56 p.m.

Dealer in this small town had 4 on the lot a couple of months ago.  I looked at them when dealership was closed when the waterpump in spouse's Flex failed.  Dealer was discounting them fairly much at the time.  I like the looks of them & specs. seem decent.  Automotive press reviews are generally tepid or damning with faint praise.  I had the Flex repaired.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
12/9/18 8:47 p.m.

Not entirely on-topic, but I seem to recall reading back when GM went through its latest scaling-down of brands that the reason Buick survived the cut is primarily because it has a very strong reputation in China, going back to the cars that were shipped over during and immediately after the war. I never did any research to confirm or deny this, but I can't think of any other good reason why Buick wouldn't have been axed along with Pontiac and Oldsmobile.

einy
einy HalfDork
12/10/18 3:45 a.m.
02Pilot said:

Not entirely on-topic, but I seem to recall reading back when GM went through its latest scaling-down of brands that the reason Buick survived the cut is primarily because it has a very strong reputation in China, going back to the cars that were shipped over during and immediately after the war.

This is accurate.  And in Wisconsin, where I grew up and my family still lives.  Buicks are EVERYWHERE up there (including in my parent’s garage).

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
12/10/18 7:14 a.m.

Local dealer has six on the lot, 4 2018s and 2 2019s. The 2018s are $6-7K off list.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
12/10/18 8:37 a.m.

There's a couple 2018 Essence (top trim spec) ones around here brand new for under $27k.

I've been on and off debating selling the MS3 and the Vibe to get one, but they're both paid off and I really don't want another car payment.

NickD
NickD UberDork
12/10/18 9:24 a.m.

These came with the LTG turbo 2.0L, which is one of my favorite new car engines. Not much in the way of reliability issues, punchy, smooth and apparently there's a fair bit of overhead in these in the way of tuning.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
12/10/18 12:40 p.m.

I'm actually in the market to buy one of these, I don't know who their target demographic is. 

I just looked at one today, brought along an infant car seat to check rear seat size. Size is perfect.

I talked to the sales rep who couldn't come up with ANY tech info for me, asked around the office for a sales brochure or anything and no one has any education or information materials on these wagons. We ended up pulling out the owners manual from the glove box only to find the typical GM manual with almost no information except legal warnings to prevent lawsuits. Exploring GM financing new 2018's are selling for about 20% off MSRP. 

mr2s2000elise said:

i went and  test drove one to see if it can replace my Tsx wagon ; it didn’t come close. Interior quality was pretty poor for the price 

Same old GM interior. Would be an nice interior if you didn't know VW and Honda put car interiors together for similar price points.  It is nice until you drive the competition back to back. There is plenty of room (actually, this wagon is sized perfectly) and the seats are comfortable. But the volvo v60 seats are exponentially more comfortable. The perceived lack of quality and fit and finish is difficult to describe, its not one or 2 little nit-picky things, its just a consistent difference in quality from how the interior is designed, to how it fits together and of what materials are used. Again, it's not bad, it's just that the competition does such a better job at that price point. 

I was excited about the Germany build, the 2.0 direct injection turbo, the aisin 8 speed transmission (gm calls it a stop-gap, I see it as a benefit), curious about the awd "twin clutch system." and thoroughly disappointed with the fit and finish overall.

It is still in the running for purchase in the next 3 months, the only problem being barely used volvo v60's are selling 25-27k. The volvo's are smaller but way more comfortable with better perceived quality due to the interiors fit and finish. The volvo's also have much better crash ratings. 

I think if these were sold in the 23-28k price range new (before desperate GM discounts) most of my complaints would not be valid. These will probably be amazing used cars, but I am going to buy in the next 3 months, not 5 years from now.

Now if the budget doubled or tripled:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GjdztqTjlsRDvp6cDtizFc6zb2hoQ05LYghXjDFdSkHi7qXE4Dga7TRcVcUrO1Um