1 2
Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/20 8:15 a.m.
car39 said:

My wife's 2005 Volvo S40 would do burnouts at stop lights with hardly any throttle pressure.  Tires looked great, had less than 30,000 miles on them.  Changed them, problem solved.  I thing they were as hard as granite.

In one of the tire mags, they pointed out that the first 2 or 3 32nds of "wear" on a tire is actually evaporation, not mechanical wear/material loss.  This is why tires seem to wear to halfway very rapidly, then sort of plateau.  The rubber isn't wearing to that point, it is shrinking and hardening.  

This also explains why new tires shaved to 3/32 have a lot more grip than tires worn to 3/32.  And why tires that have 30k on them can be scary bad even if they have "lots of tread".

After reading that article, I throw away snow tires when they reach 7-8/32, and my life has been much better for it.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/20 8:25 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Hello from the tire store! I recently had to valet the Civic Si, and it came back with a chunk missing from the left-front. 

Would you still drive on this tire? I elected not to.

It's not into the carcass of the tire, so that is purely cosmetic.

Now this on the other hand, warranted replacement.  It didn't ever fail, or even make a bubble, but cord exposure allows water and grit in and it would fail sooner or later, probably sooner than later:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U76HKtfVsn15ZR1UOmaZmokKuWOzxpU5b0bkbRhbAA6Z8iUZ3GHUxuNFIYFQqllV