rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
12/31/18 3:50 p.m.

Suzuki!

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
1/3/19 12:21 a.m.

How about this?

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/d/randolph-2005-subaru-outback-limited/6785519063.html

Pull the engine, do the clutch, fix the oil leaks, do the timing belt.  Can be done in a weekend and you have yourself an automobile.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/3/19 12:25 a.m.

In reply to Slammo :

I am not set up equipment-wise to pull an engine. Looks like a good deal for someone with the space to do it though!

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
1/3/19 5:37 a.m.

That's fair.  You can do the timing belt and clutch without pulling the engine.  Oil leaks, depends on what's leaking.  Valve cover gaskets are doable, as are cam seals when you have the timing belt removed.  Rear main seal, not quite as easy but still probably manageable.  I get what you're saying though, that you don't want to put that kind of work into a daily driver.  It may be worthwhile to find a Subaru that someone has taken care of and doesn't need any immediate attention, but those will command a higher price usually.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
1/4/19 7:01 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

In reply to Slammo :

Yes I am. I can do timing belts and things like this. Maintenance and lesser-involved repairs and replacements I’ve done for decades. Adding headers, drum and disc brakes, wheel bearings, lift kits, stereos, alternators etc. A double head-gasket repair on a car I need to get around in is out of the question. I’m guessing a weekend toy or project is a better niche for a cheap Subaru.

If the possibility of a head gasket failure is a sticking point for you, I'd suggest taking Subarus off your list of candidates for daily drivers.  I did the head gaskets in my '97 Legacy over the summer.  It's not particularly hard (the engine comes out quickly), nor are the parts particularly cheap (make sure you read that right).  But it's more than the average DIYer is going to be up to.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/4/19 7:53 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

The possibility is there for most any vehicle, it’s the probability that worries me most!wink

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
1/4/19 6:54 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

Right...as long as you understand that.  It seems to be a maintenance item on a Subaru.  Unlike most engines where head gaskets are good for the service life of an engine...Subarus use head gaskets at an interval not unlike timing belts.  (That last sentence may be a bit of an exaggeration...but my point stands wink)

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
1/4/19 11:08 p.m.

Did that year have a MAF?  If so it doesn't anymore lol.  I have only ever worked on older ones so idk if it did or not.  Other than being pretty easy to work on I am not sure I would say Subarus are that great though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fz61A62hEEu0koyrQjZMCiqgPvYNPM26QZhtneC8H1IjTdRpqopBLgS4ydMr4b1S